PDA

View Full Version : Would like to hear from those taking (or have taken) Buspirone

Linda0818
05-02-2016, 10:42 AM
Hi, I'm new here and have a question for everyone...

I've taken Celexa in the past and weaned myself off of it several years ago. I still take Ativan occasionally, but lately my anxiety has heightened (I think due to perimenopause) and my doctor prescribed me Buspirone, as I had a lot of side effects (not to mention horrible withdrawal coming off) with Celexa and Lexapro made me so dizzy I couldn't even drive to work. So far the only side effect I've had with the Buspirone is nausea, which eventually goes away, but mentally I feel no different. My biggest issue is irrational worry. I worry constantly about things that will probably never happen, but I can't help it. My brain doesn't shut off, it's always conjuring up horrible things and I walk around day after day feeling like life is on the brink of disaster, that any day now something really bad is going to happen to completely change my life in the worst possible way. I can't shut it off, it's just the way my brain works. So that's why I wanted back on anxiety meds.

However, again, the Buspirone hasn't made much difference. I've been on it for about a month now (give or take a few days) and I'm wondering if anyone here has ever taken it or *is* taking it and what your dose is. I'm starting on a very low dose (5mg) per the advice of my doctor, since I have a hard time with medication side effects. I'm guessing 5mg isn't enough?

I'd appreciate any input.

superchick22684
05-04-2016, 09:44 AM
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Buspirone, some people think its great while others think its about as effective as a placebo. I was on it for a few months and found that it helped me out with my anxiety but since then I've gone through some other med changes. I don't remember what my dosage was because its been about a year since I was on it. My gp used it as an add on to my anti-depressant as somewhat of a last resort for my anxiety.

Linda0818
05-04-2016, 02:33 PM
I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about Buspirone, some people think its great while others think its about as effective as a placebo. I was on it for a few months and found that it helped me out with my anxiety but since then I've gone through some other med changes. I don't remember what my dosage was because its been about a year since I was on it. My gp used it as an add on to my anti-depressant as somewhat of a last resort for my anxiety.

Thank you for your input, I appreciate it. I think what I'll do is, starting Monday, up my dose to 7.5mg. With me and anxiety meds, I have to take baby steps or I'll be a complete mess.

Anne1221
05-05-2016, 07:22 AM
It's true, some people think it's great, others say it doesn't help at all. The dosages recommended are between 15-60 mg per day, so you are on a low dose, but if you need to, go up slowly. The best way to take this is 2 - 3 times per day, 3 is best. Always take the same way, with or without food.

Linda0818
05-05-2016, 02:46 PM
It's true, some people think it's great, others say it doesn't help at all. The dosages recommended are between 15-60 mg per day, so you are on a low dose, but if you need to, go up slowly. The best way to take this is 2 - 3 times per day, 3 is best. Always take the same way, with or without food.

Thank you, Anne, for your suggestions :)

Spaceturtle
06-25-2016, 06:47 PM
Currently on buspar 15mg a day. Only one day into it and I am shaking all day. I am extremely anxious and feel like hell. The problem with anxiety is you never know if it your mind or the pill. It could all be in my head or it could be a reaction. :(

I know this probably doesn't help give you any information but maybe it will bump thread so someone else will read it.

Kirk
06-25-2016, 09:33 PM
My wife is a retail pharmacist and she said she does not see it prescribed as much as the SSRI's.

Linda0818
06-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Currently on buspar 15mg a day. Only one day into it and I am shaking all day. I am extremely anxious and feel like hell. The problem with anxiety is you never know if it your mind or the pill. It could all be in my head or it could be a reaction. :(

I know this probably doesn't help give you any information but maybe it will bump thread so someone else will read it.

If you're only one day in, it's your mind. Trust me. The mind is very powerful and I can take one pill of something and within minutes give myself all the side effects of that pill just from worrying about it, LOL

Ponder
06-27-2016, 07:53 PM
http://patient.info/doctor/serotonin-syndrome