PDA

View Full Version : I am doubting myself due to my low IQ.

Orion069
03-06-2016, 10:30 AM
I had to take an IQ test when I was elven-years old, and unfortunately my score did not turned out well; I scored an IQ of 99 which is slight below the average (100). Now that I am eighteen-years old, I recently have started to give the concept of IQ a greater thought, since it was irrelevant to me previously. Therefore, I did my research in the internet, and the discoveries I have made were a huge blow to my self-esteem. I knew that I was not the best student in my past years, but I improved greatly to some extent. However, according to some chart which interprets IQ scores, I am unsuitable for university. Since I am an American secondary-school student who strives to attend a 'good' college in the US, I am losing hopes in my education, future and so on. In addition, my worries set a huge burden on my happiness; since I read more about the meaning of IQ, I no longer can look forward to future events when it will be an academic struggle.

Katie Hall
03-06-2016, 02:25 PM
I had to take an IQ test when I was elven-years old, and unfortunately my score did not turned out well; I scored an IQ of 99 which is slight below the average (100). Now that I am eighteen-years old, I recently have started to give the concept of IQ a greater thought, since it was irrelevant to me previously. Therefore, I did my research in the internet, and the discoveries I have made were a huge blow to my self-esteem. I knew that I was not the best student in my past years, but I improved greatly to some extent. However, according to some chart which interprets IQ scores, I am unsuitable for university. Since I am an American secondary-school student who strives to attend a 'good' college in the US, I am losing hopes in my education, future and so on. In addition, my worries set a huge burden on my happiness; since I read more about the meaning of IQ, I no longer can look forward to future events when it will be an academic struggle.

Psychology major here. An IQ is just a number. You have gotten through or will soon get through high school. If the idea of college is not what you want right now there is always community college which is cheaper and there are good resources there. Do not let a number limit your future. Just like you would not let a diagnosis define you do not let your IQ define you.

Nowuccas
03-07-2016, 05:25 AM
Hey Orion069,

I can tell you from experience that it's possible to significantly increase your score in an IQ test, by preparing for at least a few days beforehand doing other online IQ tests.

Also, if your are ill on the day (as I was with 'flu, in secondary school, resulting in being wrongly assigned to a class with lower expectations of academic performance) you are likely to lose at least several IQ points.

So I suggest that you literally "build up your mental muscles" for a few days before sitting for another IQ test, and only attempt it if feeling well, after a good night's sleep.

A previous post follows:

It is vital that you get 8 - 9.5 hrs of sleep every night, or you won't perform well. See study tips, memory improvement, (and find out which is your learning style, and adapt accordingly) at http://your-mental-health.weebly.com/p.html and page G, and start study/homework groups with friends, and / or get a tutor for your worst subjects: academics is only one pathway to success, and many people are just not suited to it, so don't stress too much about it.

By adopting good study and revision techniques, and devoting themselves fully, people who are less intellectually endowed can outperform in examinations those who rely on a good memory, and high intelligence.

See: "For Most People, College is a Waste of Time" Enter this in the searchbar at http://www.mercola.com/ ( http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/09/04/for-most-people-college-is-a-waste-of-time.aspx ). Richard Branson left school at 16; Winston Churchill was not a well-performed student, and Bill Gates didn't finish college; neither did Steve Jobs.

Your future may well be in another field, such as: graphic artist, real estate, cinematography, Feng Shui consultant, landscaping, fashion design, aromatherapist, music industry, photographer, personal trainer/aerobics instructor, etc. From Yahoo!Answers (modified):
"If you don't want to go the college route, then go to a trade school. There are plenty of careers that make a lot of money. Many jobs in the medical field now go to people with no college degree. Most pre-op in surgery isn't done by nurses, but by trained people from trade school. Respiratory therapy, imaging, dental hygienist, etc. have great salaries, and a licensed master electrician makes more than many college graduates".
School is about teaching some basics, and keeping students occupied, so adults can work, that's all! Try many things (except drugs, binge drinking, and the more dangerous ones) and develop those areas in which you perform well, or have a natural talents.

Consider having aptitude tests, vocational guidance, and career counselling, to give you some ideas on what may suit you best. Ultimately, it is much more important that you be a good person, who helps others when reasonable to do so, and makes a fair contribution to the society which supports him/her, than scholastic achievements.

-------------------------------------------------------

Check out https://www.google.com.au/search?client=opera&q=nootropics%3B+compare+efficacy&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 about the relative efficacy of nootropics, but Google their hazards, and avoid the amphetamine type ones used to treat ADD/ADHD.