PDA

View Full Version : Hair Care- Another SA Nightmare?

soshy
01-04-2006, 12:48 PM
I know this topic may not seem post worthy, but because of stress, an illness (non-anxiety related) and going without food because of income - I had lost a lot of my hair. My hair use to be incredibly thick and very curly and I never really did anything to it except shampoo and condition. It was so thick and curly, oh and long (stubbern Irish locks). I was teased all through school. I didn't have the sleek shiny in-style doo. Though, I've been spoiled because some how every close friend I've ever had has been a stylist on the side. I've never had more than a trim done to it.

Well, the problem is - my hair has grown back. Not like it was: Less curly, very thin and ALL GRAY. How the heck am I going to go on a job interview with this new doo? Oh Good God!!!

I do not know anything about coloring hair or cutting it. If I try to color it myself I'm terrified it will all fall out. I cut five or six inches off last week by putting it in a ponytail, raising it up above my head and hacked it and it's still on the long side.

I have no income right now, but I want to start working again. I'd really feel much more comfortable if a professional did it. My hair is so bad that I wouldn't have anxiety about sitting in the stylist's chair knowing I'm one step closer to being employed! I've called around and I cannot believe how much it is to get your hair colored. It's a crime what they charge!

I do look like a freak. I wouldn't hire me like this. I use to interview potential employees and if they didn't have the basics taken care for an interview that was the only red flag I needed to not hire them.

I know this seems petty and ridiculous to talk about, but I have no one to talk to about this. Having SA and always worrying about my physical presentation puts more of a SA damper on trying to get back into the workforce. I get embarrassed going into a 7-Eleven!

Does anyone know about hair coloring or at-home coloring?
Does anyone else have difficulty/anxiety regarding hair care/going to the barber?
Does anyone think this was a shameful idea to post this?

The only idea I've had is this brown Crayola marker my little nephew has, and I've been wondering about the other benefits of food coloring.

soshy

Maggie May
01-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi Soshy!

Would one of your stylist friends be willing to come to your house to dye your hair? Haircolor is VERY cheap at WalMart.

Regarding you doing it yourself, unless you have had your hair permed, colored, or chemically straightened several times over the last 2 years, your hair won't fall out. What color would you like it to be?

Are you trying to go from grey to blonde, red, brown or black? If it's any of the last three, just follow the instructions on the box of hair dye and you'll be fine.

Dying your hair NEVER makes your hair fall out, that really only happens when you're trying to go from black to blond and have to bleach your hair first, plus you need to have a ton of damage described in the previous paragraph.

Let us know what happens! Good luck girl!!

Maggie

soshy
01-05-2006, 01:20 PM
Hi Maggie:

Thanks so much for the info. My friend (my only close friend) has been going through a lot with two of her immediate family members diagnosed with cancer and have both recently finished chemo. I helped out as much as possible so she wouldn't lose her job. I stayed with her dad and took care of him after surgery and through his chemo. It was my pleasure to care for him. I've always enjoyed his company and I do love him.

My friend and I now don't talk much now. I think she's burned out and I was always more of the rock for her; she also suffers from anxiety- though she's much better now. She can work and drive, etc. I think her watching me fall so badly either scares her or she just doesn't want to deal me – cause my life is dire.

So, her doing my hair, as she has been for the last twelve years, is not likely. I asked her a couple of times the last nine months, but she says she doesn't have time. Although, she is still doing hair for other people. I must be as miserable as I feel if my best friend for so long is cutting ties.

I'll take a look at the dye products and try to pick one out. I guess I'm a medium brown with some red. If this was a medical problem I could fix it or find a good resource.

The commercials make it look easy. The models seem to have hair to dye for, hehe.

Thanks so much again! I'll let you know what happens. I guess nothing could be as bad as the sparkling white streaks on my head!

soshy

Bridgie
01-06-2006, 10:07 AM
Hi Soshy and welcome to the forum! I have to tell you I dye my hair all the time and it is very easy. I really don't understand why it is so expensive at salons, but I refuse to pay that much.

Use a dye like Preference by Loreal that comes with a conditioner. You will be delighted at how good your hair looks after you dye it!

:lol:

soshy
01-06-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks Bridgie!

Loreal was the one I was thinking to get. It makes me feel so much better that you dye your hair and have good results. I bet you're one of those models on the commercial! lol

This really has been a big problem for me even though it's just about hair. I bet the guys reading this are shaking their heads.
I promise not to turn this into a beauty forum.

By next week I should look different. I'm just hoping there's some kind of 911 number on the box just incase! lol

Well, between you and Maggie, I think I have enough knowledge to overcome this and possibly end up looking gorgeous. I'm trying to stay positive cause I can just see my trembling hands gripping the dye applications!

I’ll be fine.

Thanks girls!

soshy

Bridgie
01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Good Luck Soshi! There is a number on the box if you have questions! And let us know how it goes!

:lol: :lol:

Bridgie
01-14-2006, 11:02 AM
WELL SOSHY? Are you gorgeous yet? Please tell me you did it!

:toothy: :toothy:

Maggie May
01-14-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah, I want to know too!!

soshy
01-19-2006, 10:08 AM
I, a...um. Well, ya see...um...I, a, ugh... :oops:

I'm such a FREAKY FRAIDY PHOBIE CAT!!!

I think the color I picked is too dark. It's still in the box, but I look at it everyday.

Loreal Preference, Medium Golden Brown-5G. Really, what the heck is that suppose to mean!

The directions is only one page and super huge print! There's gotta be more to it than that :ponder: .

I know, I know. I'm sickly impossible sometimes. I can't even stand it anymore :ack: ! This is making me more gray!

Well, that's the update gals.

Maybe in another week some wild action will take place :unsure: .

soshy

Bridgie
01-19-2006, 10:13 AM
LOL Soshy! That message was too funny! Why don't you just try a few strands of hair and see how it goes?

:popcorn:

soshy
01-19-2006, 10:24 AM
I know. I keep thinking about that too, over and over. "Just a couple of strands. Com'on, what could it hurt?"

Do ya really wanna hear the agony behind that? I don't think so.

Oh my God, really - it's just hair. I need to be worrying about my job interviews. What's funny is that that will be less stressful.

I know, I'm nuts!

soshy

shoe
02-01-2006, 10:23 AM
so are we gonna have to have a hair care intervention soshy? hehe. Might have to send out Bridgie and Maggie to your house with scissors and brushes and applicators and whatever else hehe.

btw, thats a shame about your best friend :( I think you're a great person, and she should be happy to help you out darnit!

hehe, anyway are we gonna see pictures once you've done it? :P

soshy
02-01-2006, 11:53 AM
LOL.....LOL, LOL, stop..LOL..please...LOL..You're so...LOL.... funny! LOL...
I can't stop laughing!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL..an intervention...LOL..LOL..quit it!!!!LOL...

:lol:

Bridgie
02-01-2006, 11:55 AM
I say a good spankin' is in order!!!!!!!

:neener: :neener: :neener:

soshy
02-01-2006, 12:22 PM
You two are soooo.....bad! Well, I'm the one who got this whole hair-care nightmare started by freakin about the "Coloring Process" :wail: , and I still haven't done it :oops: . Don't tell anyone, because I made such a big fuss and I'm still holding the box.........give me another week :unsure: :?:

Hey - this is a colossal event for me...takes big, big planning. It's like I'm having my own debutante, but secretly :wacko:.

a giggling anonymous social phobie

Bridgie
02-01-2006, 01:09 PM
Hmmm, let's see, Michigan is not THAT far from Maryland, maybe I better get on a bus or something to go and kick you in the behind!

soshy
02-01-2006, 01:57 PM
:o ....I better get busy.... :shock:

shoe
02-01-2006, 02:15 PM
:lol: lol. now now, physical violence is not condoned here unless its absolutely necessary :P ..or requested hehe. kidding! :tongue:

The Healing Guy
11-22-2006, 07:16 PM
I am here to lend a helping hand. I am a healer. I do long-distance healing purely on a donation basis. If you are truly ready to start turning things around, just drop me a line at:

[email protected]

No strings attached. Just you and me and healing energy. Remember, you are always the real healer!

Sincerely,
Michael[b]