PDA

View Full Version : Is self-evaluation test accurate?

barbarehg1233
02-02-2016, 12:16 AM
Hi,
Recently I had done a self-hearing evaluation test with the help of Hearing solutions, in Toronto. After the test, I had diagnosed with partial hearing impairment in both of my ears and they recommended hearing aids for me. Do I need to get a treatment from an audiologist before considering about hearing aids? Or am I supposed to purchase hearing aid according to my choice and comfortability? How accurate is self-evaluation test? I wonder whether I completely lose my hearing ability.

jessed03
02-02-2016, 06:39 PM
Always with your spamming about Toronto.

Dentist in Toronto. Doctor in Toronto. Now hearing aid company in Toronto.

Dahila
02-02-2016, 07:19 PM
Hi I am user of hearing aids for years, thanks to smart doctors who were repeatedly giving me medication, which causes hearing loss. In Canada we have free hearing test in any place you like. The first few years you should work closely with and audiologist. Internet evaluation is good for the car not for hearing, such important thing
The internet hearings aids and hearing tests are based on f***** cheap chinese hearing aids. Let's say you buy the hearing aids over the internet , they set it up according to your hearing loss, then you put it in and take it out. It took me like 20 app with audiologist to set it right. It is like you making crown over the internet for the less or more +21 tooth;)_)) It is not going to work

Ponder
02-04-2016, 12:57 PM
The most annoying thing I have found is finding local support for the batteries. As a result I hardly use mine any more.

PS - Yes ... it's recommended to get further testing by an audiologist before investing in expensive hearing aids.
(I only have government funded ones - I find them useful in certain situations, but again - don't use them due the battery limitations. I like to use for TV, (hearing voice) BUT ... if it's not bad anough to source out cheap batteries, using regularly for TV seems to flatten the batteries quickly. Just not a vaiable option ... I turn the telly up and my wife puts up with it.) I would like to use when attending meetings with whatever service providers I often cross paths with. I think I will just have to pay the expensive price and "subscribe" for batteries {which is why they do not list the "special" specs I need}

I'm sure they are online ... they just make it difficult from this end to encourage subscription for batteries. Instead, I will just use headphones and tell people to speak up.

Hearing loss is a degradation - its usually takes time. The aids assist with frequencies that your ears struggle with. I believe its easier to get glasses to read with from online than it is to purchase hearing aids, although having said that - I now recommend getting prescription glasses and avoid cheap readers.

I struggle with distinguishing high pitches from background noise. Tones also get washed out. (ones level of anxiety can also plague the way we take in sounds as well, but that's another story)

Dahila
02-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Background noise is what is killing me, but I have digital ones, not that expensive (costco Kirkland ) they rebrand Resound in this situation. I can always change , to party it lowers the background noise. when I got the hearing aids they start from the computer setting according to hearing test and really it was unbearable to have it, To loud, to screechy, On first day she had to ajust it, the sound was awful and this is what people over internet get. Some of them, computer savoy, buy the wireless device or cables with the cheap ones, download the program and set them by themselves, they are usually working with sound or programmers. I could not do it. Actually the last ones took only 3 app but the audiologist is smart, the lady knows what she is doing. She is 20 years in business, 10 in Lebanon, and 10 in Canada. Smart smart ;))