PDA

View Full Version : I am cured!!!

Ponder
01-05-2016, 02:41 AM
"Another important point worth noting at this stage is that I do not advise talking in terms of providing clients with ‘cures’. The very use of the word ‘cure’ implies that in some way the client who comes to a therapist is ‘broken’ or ‘sick’. With something as complex as human behaviour I suggest it is inappropriate to use these types of terms. Furthermore, as the client will often set his or her own outcomes in terms of the goals to be achieved, it is naïve to assume that there even exists such a thing as a universally recognised ‘cure’ for any particular problem. I prefer instead to think of clients as being people who are living or experiencing elements of their lives in ways that are problematic for them, or at least less than fully satisfactory. Consequently our role as therapists is to assist clients in finding ways to behave, think and feel that are more enjoyable, effective and life-enhancing. Often these changes can be so profound and radical that they can seem to represent a cure or a recovery from some terrible affliction but this is not the case."

A passage from "An Introduction to Hypnosis & Hypnotherapy by Damian Hamill"

I could not help but think of those people who come into this forum with such great claims. For all the pscho babel that is often followed with such proclamations, little is served when talking in such terms.

Dahila
01-05-2016, 11:04 AM
I agree................... it is fantastic passage