PDA

View Full Version : How much do hobbies help?

Snakeadelic
12-28-2015, 05:19 PM
I know a lot of people recommend having a hobby so you can focus on something unrelated when anxiety, panic, or depression get bad. I'm very interested in everyone's experiences with the benefits of hobbies! Mine include:

Rockhounding! LOVE IT. I belong to the local gem & mineral society, which meets monthly in winter and in summer there are meetings every other week AND field trips to good locations. Unfortunately, I'm about to be forced out of my apartment by a neighbor who refuses to respect the term "lethal allergic reaction" and who cannot be compelled to do so, which means many rocks I have found over the years must go (which I'm doing on a lapidary forum).

Wire Trees. I make twisted-wire trees with semiprecious gemstones and glass beads. Amazingly, despite the fact that they draw admiration everywhere they go, they seem to be 100% non-viable in the retail market :(. I had a display at a well-loved local beading supply store, 2.5 x 8 foot table right in the sun where all 76 trees and the little ceramic and glass containers I set them in would sparkle like crazy, for a month. One tree sold. My storage spaces are all so full that I'm leery of making any more, though they are an IMMENSE help with the arthritis in my hands.

Photography. Nature, wildlife, scenery, and stones make up the bulk of a photo archive numbering well over 140,000 images from almost 6 years. I sculpted tiny animals in polymer clay, and painted most of them, for 19 years but had to find something new when 4 of my fingers went numb. I can't hold sculpting supplies or tiny sculptures any more, but the camera has a lanyard.

Magic: the Gathering collectible game cards. Another herd that must be thinned now, under the heading of "people will be much more help moving me out if I reduce the number of heavy objects involved". Got most of that sorted out so far.

Writing! Love it! Decades ago, one of the best teachers I had in high school told me I might find significant stress relief in basically inventing people whose lives I could ruin at will, giving me an avenue for those emotions that would make me want to do the same thing to actual living people. I still work with the same character pool, and some of them have more complete personalities than a few of the friends I've had across the years.

Research. Yeah, what kinda fun could that be? Well, ever since I could read I've been a nature nut, so now I have a sizable knowledge base on things like taxonomy (what's related to what), ecology, biology, and probably a dozen relevant subtopics. Favorites include mineralogy, the genetics and histories of domestic animal breeds, and the ongoing welfare of wildlife. This is how I can spend HUGE amounts of time online when I don't have accounts with Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, et cetera & ad nauseam. I have, however explained to two different medical professionals in the last month why their pet-quality dogs are REALLY COOL in terms of color & pattern genetics. One's a lilac sable Pomeranian, and the other a non-dilute red series merle that's supposedly a dachsund-chihuahua cross, but if there's any chihuahua in that dog I can't see it!

What do y'all do, and how does it help?

MainerMikeBrown
12-28-2015, 05:24 PM
I like reading books about astronomy. Although their is only so much I can take of reading about astronomy, I sometimes find it fascinating to read about other planets, stars, and solar systems. I think it's great that every week astronomers are making new discoveries, such as finding new solar systems and learning more about black holes.

Snakeadelic
12-29-2015, 01:19 PM
Routines are crucial for my peace of mind, and my morning routine consists of breakfast (Tillamook yogurt every day) and reading a bunch of comics and blogs. Astronomy Picture of the Day is a favorite! :) Didn't realize I haven't yet posted enough to include links, but if you Google Astronomy Picture of the Day, it's the one with nasa in the URL :).

MainerMikeBrown
12-29-2015, 04:17 PM
Following the NFL and the New England Patriots is another hobby I have. I enjoy seeing the Pats win games and championships.

Defeat Panic
12-29-2015, 10:33 PM
Hobbies are great. It's one of the BIG steps toward recovery. When you are taking up hobbies you are reteaching your brain to live "normal" again. My favorite hobbies is lifting weights. I love power lifting, strength training,and working out. On top of that I attend regular BJJ and Muay thai/boxing classes weekly. It's not about getting hobbies for the sake of having them, but follow your passions and your hobbies will follow.

MainerMikeBrown
12-30-2015, 02:06 PM
Therapists whom I've worked with in the past often talked to me about my hobbies because hobbies are such a big key to coping with mental illness.

amers85
12-30-2015, 08:47 PM
I enjoy reading, helps me relax. Having a hobbie helps you keep your mind off all the negativity.

Ponder
12-30-2015, 10:15 PM
A must for me. They help so much, that I am always creating new hobbies within the hobbies.

Dahila
12-30-2015, 10:43 PM
A must for me. They help so much, that I am always creating new hobbies within the hobbies.
Exactly, we start to feel overwhelmed with our hobbies and acquiring so much knowledge, I actually have a very high stress level when I learn new skill:)

Ponder
12-31-2015, 04:03 PM
Yes, balance is key.

MainerMikeBrown
01-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Listening to songs on the computer that I haven't heard on the radio in a while is a fun hobby for me.

Snakeadelic
01-03-2016, 07:46 PM
Listening to songs on the computer that I haven't heard on the radio in a while is a fun hobby for me.

After I have to move (see my "back to the wall" post in General Discussion) this will actually be one of very few favorite hobbies I get to keep. What do you listen to?

I have appalling taste in music, truly just despicable ;). When I was growing up, I was raised by a 70s rock band, which is kinda like being raised by wolves except the wolves have better table manners and stink less. I grew up without religion; the Holy Trinity in my parents' home was Zeppelin, Zappa, and ZZ Top. I remain addicted to 80s hair metal, but my playlist also includes everything from orchestral selections from the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, Grace Jones ("Let Joy and Innocence Prevail" is a total heartbreaker), Rammstein, LOTS of Robin Trower (my guitar hero and I got to meet him!), and a recent discovery, "Ticking Bomb" by the impeccably on-key, autotune-free Aloe Blacc. I even have an adorably embarrassing story about Robert Plant from his Manic Nirvana tour if anyone wants a giggle ;).

My taste in cinema is even worse. I'm currently drowning out the toddler-smackin' drunktard upstairs with a classic favorite, Graveyard Shift (based on a Stephen King piece). Not by a long shot the scariest thing I've seen Brad Dourif do for a paycheck!

philknightlife
01-04-2016, 04:52 AM
My happy calm place is working on computer animation or video editing or editing my podcast interviews. I think other people get the same kind of relaxation from playing computer games. But I've never been a big games person.
It really helps me to keep my mind busy on something creative when I'm anxious.