PDA

View Full Version : introduction...hi everyone

lacat77
09-17-2008, 09:22 PM
I just joined this board, I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking for in joining but I feel pretty alone in dealing with my problems so I guess we'll see how this goes...

I'm a female in my mid-20s and I've probably been dealing with anxiety for at least 10 years and probably longer (at least since high school). It feels like it gets worse and worse, but that could just be that the present feels more painful than the past which is but a memory. To be honest, I've never actually been diagnosed with anything. I just don't know if feeling scared and anxious as often as I do is normal, and it really doesn't feel normal or good.

A general description of my anxiety...I'm just always worried about small things, and most of it relates to social situations. I really can't stand the phone unless it's my boyfriend. I have a lot of worries always about how others perceive me, if I'm annoying/seem stupid/etc. I don't really know how else to explain my anxiety except that I worry about small things to a great degree, almost obsessively. Right now I am really worried about seeing an acquaintance that I just had an awkward situation with (would rather not describe) and I can't focus on anything else, I probably won't be able to sleep well tonight (it's hard for me to sleep when I'm not exhausted).

I gave therapy a try for a short while, I felt like it was just a means of talking about my problems without gaining any tools for dealing with them. I think I didn't do it for long enough or didn't really describe my anxiety very well. My boyfriend says that I overthink things, which is probably true, but I don't know how to stop a flow of thoughts once it starts. To be honest I feel like he simplifies my problems and that makes it hard for me to take anything he's saying, but I really have no one else to talk to, I don't feel like I can talk to my family and I don't really have friends. I'm just really sick of being scared all the time, it makes life seem unnecessarily difficult, but I don't really know how it could be otherwise.

Thanks for reading, I know it was pretty long :-)