PDA

View Full Version : Over a year with anxiety

Worked_up_student
12-22-2015, 10:43 AM
Hi! I am very desperate to get the help I need. So, I returned to college over a year ago, which so happens to be the time when I got anxiety. Unfortunately I get terrible panic attacks around my university's finals. My worst panic attack happened this past Saturday. Yesterday I visited a clinic and a lady spoke to me about how to prevent panic attacks/dealing with them, as well as eliminating my anxiety. It's easier said than done. Any-who, over the past week I've been feeling exhausted everyday from the high adrenaline I get from my anxiety. Also I would feel very nauseous and my hands/feet would tremble. I'm not that hungry, so I would mostly force myself to drink packed nutribullet smoothies and small snacks. Don't worry, I eat plenty and make sure I get my daily value of all nutrients, it's just that I feel sick after eating. I'm so done with it, I just need some support. Please help and thank you.

halmat
12-25-2015, 07:22 PM
Hello - I'm a former sufferer of chronic panic attacks and agoraphobia and can relate by recalling my sophomore year especially when panic and high anxiety were my constant companion. People with panic disorder are easily over-stimulated because the amygdala is already on high alert. A college campus is a busy, hectic place of high energy and stimulation. I was a theater major and could retreat to the quiet of the stage during the day to busy myself at some task. Find lots of diversions that take your full attention.

I hope you will be able to benefit from campus health services, but am glad you sought out a clinic and have begun work on your recovery. Learn to breathe from the diaphragm and practice it daily. Begin a daily journal and regimen that includes research into the brain science of panic attacks. You can re-program your amygdala so that it isn't on constant high alert. Think of starting a peer support group of students with panic disorder; perhaps student health services can help with that. Learn a new skill such as drawing or a simple musical instrument; record your life daily by closely observing everything you do and each place you go during the day. In other words, get out of your head and begin thinking of your environment instead of your next panic attack.

I have a website devoted to helping people recover from panic disorder - unagoraphobic.com - where you'll find useful tips and directions by reading all the blogs. You can overcome this problem with hard work and dedication. You sound very dedicated to getting out of anxiety prison.... so get to work. Best wishes.... Hal Mathew