PDA

View Full Version : Ocd???

JaneCrory
12-20-2015, 02:07 PM
I know when people are depressed or anxious, they think they've every illness under the sun. But I'm sitting here quite calm right now, and the only way I can describe my mental churning is obsessive. It's like my brain jumps from one obsession to another.

I've recognised the cycle - negative thought / image pops into my head, I analyse it every way imaginable, growing more anxious as it goes on. I then need to seek reassurance about the way I feel. Looking back on my life, I think I've always been slightly obsessive but since my mother was ill, it's like it's spun out of control and at times it feels like it's getting worse. This coupled with the fact I had a slight drink problem didn't help.

For example, one of my obsessions was my mother. I found myself constantly asking myself if I hated her, which led to thoughts of did I want to ever see her again / fall out with her / move out of home etc. These thoughts made me very anxious, and at times I felt like I was going insane. I actually sat in my doctor's office one day in tears asking her 'do I love my mother?'. She assured me I did and it was just anxiety talking.

Now my brain is on a new obsession that I know is utterly ridiculous, but again I have the same obsessional thinking patterns, resulting in intense anxiety. Each time I get a new obsession, it's like my brain is tricking me into believing that THIS time it's true.

cloudy black
12-20-2015, 02:25 PM
hello Jane have just PM you

Nowuccas
12-20-2015, 07:33 PM
Hey Jane,

My approach generally is to provide some info and techniques that seem appropriate to the problems or disorders mentioned:

NEGATIVE THOUGHTS:
Nearly everyone has negative thoughts sometimes. Negative thoughts often occur before negative emotions*. It's important to regularly monitor, and deal with a negative internal monologue (self talk), or mental process, such as disturbing thoughts, images, impulses, etc., by the process of (a): recognising it, and (b): challenging it immediately. Use the "Technique For Re-Programming Negative Thoughts" - When you notice something negative, such as: "I can't do this/ am never going to get over this!" or: "Why am I always so useless/such a loser?" or even an image, emotion, or a memory; recognise that it is being generated from the negative part of your mind.
After identifying and labelling it, visualise a large, red, flashing, "STOP!" sign, and/or possibly a stern faced person wagging an index finger at you in a negative manner, then say to yourself as forcefully as you can, even aloud in a big voice, if alone: "I know this tactic: GO AWAY FOR A WHILE !!!" You may want to use either: "ruse", "ploy", "game", or "trick". In the case of an image, visualise a large "STOP" sign, or your preferred version.

Some people go so far as to keep a wide rubber band in their pocket, then put it around their wrist, when they catch themselves backsliding, stretch and release it, as a method of reprogramming their mind sooner, but I don't regard it as being strictly necessary. Remember to remove it, afterwards, if you use this method. Try replacing a negative thought with a positive affirmation of your choice, like: "I am a unique individual, with my own set of skills, and good points", or "I may not be perfect, but I'm doing the best I can, right now", or "I choose to be more positive". I prefer: "Focus only on what to do now/next". Recommended reading: Positivity: Groundbreaking Research Reveals How to Embrace the Hidden Strength of Positive Emotions, Overcome Negativity, and Thrive by Barbara Fredrickson, & Negaholics: How to Overcome Negativity and Turn Your Life Around by Chérie Carter-Scott, from your bookstore, or amazon.com

"Even if we have some vague idea that we are not our feelings or our thoughts, when we are experiencing painful feelings or painful thoughts, we believe we have to feel them or think them just because of the fact that they are occurring to us. But painful feelings can be indirectly controlled by physical action, and changing our present thoughts for different thoughts (since feeling occurs as a result of thinking.) Painful thoughts can be directly controlled by choosing replacement thoughts for the ones that are troubling us. Sure, it takes some practice to change a habit. But it can be done. Of course it can't be done if we choose to believe that it can't be done. But, since the choice is ours, why not choose to believe it can be done, and do it?" Read: Change How You Feel by Changing the Way You Think by Dennis Greenberger and Christine Padesky, & Change Your Thinking by Sarah Edelman, & "Feeling Good." The New Mood Therapy. Harper Collins.1999. ( updated sequel to his US bestseller about treating depression & anxiety; very comprehensive), by David D. Burns, M.D.

Hypnosis is merely a heightened state of suggestibility, in which you are better able to communicate with your subconscious mind; view http://myfavoriteinterests.com/hypnosis/ about what it is, and isn't. 85% of people are suggestible to some degree; 15% - 20% highly so, and 15% - 20% aren't much at all, so you could either preferably seek professional hypnotherapy, or, if not an option, hypnosisdownloads.com has one about stopping negative thoughts.
Check out http://www.wikihow.com/Special:GoogSearch?cx=008953293426798287586%3Amr-gwotjmbs&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=negative+thoughts such as: "How to Get Rid of Negative Thoughts: 9 Steps", & "How to Use Switchwords to Clear Negative Thoughts: 5 Steps".

The key is persistence; over time the frequency and power of the negative thoughts will lessen, but will always recur occasionally, which is normal, and healthy.

"I cannot always control what goes on outside. But I can always control what goes on inside" - Dr. Wayne Dyer*.

Because the allowable character limit would be exceeded, the rest of this may be found below.

Nowuccas
12-20-2015, 07:45 PM
O.C.D. QUIZ:
If you suspect that you may suffer from this disorder, go to www.adaa.org/Public/selftest_OCD.htm and do the quiz, which is not definitive, and should be regarded as an indicator only. Consider printing the result, if you score highly, and taking it along to your doctor, if you seek a referral, and to the therapist. You could bypass the doctor, Google: "clinical psychologists; (your location)", and have an initial session with a few, then decide on who you feel most comfortable with. If medication is indicated, the therapist may be able to recommend someone.

Types of OCD – Washers & Cleaners
Sufferers of this type of OCD have an obsession with contamination. Their irrational fear of being contaminated by germs leads them to compulsively avoid or remove all possible contaminants.

Their obsessions have to do with germs, viruses, and dirt that put them in danger of getting some disease. As such, they're in constant fear of becoming infected and infecting others.While washers may repeatedly wash their hands and/or shower, cleaners wash and rewash their clothes and repeatedly clean their houses several times each day. They repeatedly clean surfaces and objects in their home, never feeling safe or clean enough from contaminants.

Types of OCD – Checkers
These OCD sufferers are compelled to repeatedly check locks and switches around the house or office. They live in constant fear that door or window locks or switches on appliances haven't been closed or turned off.

The irrational fear that their failure to lock or switch something off will cause harm to themselves and others leads them to constantly check and recheck the objects of their obsession.

Checkers often picture terrifying catastrophes taking place in which they're to blame. This leads them to come up with elaborate rituals, which are time-consuming and hinder them from completing daily tasks.

Types of OCD – Orderers
These OCD sufferers are obsessed with fixing things a certain "correct" way. Before even beginning a daily task, they must organize things to "perfect" order. They simply can't focus or begin unless they give in to the impulse to fix things the "right" way.

If someone else tries to touch, move, rearrange, or disarrange the things they fixed, orderers feel extreme distress.

Types of OCD – Hoarders
The objects that hoarders collect are mostly useless items that most people would consider as garbage. Or they can hoard relatively useful items, like matchbooks and sugar packets, but to the point where they can never hope to use all of it in their lifetime. Hoarding often results in chaotic living conditions.

Types of OCD – Obsessesers
Obsessesers often experience thoughts and images that are intrusive and show them causing others harm. They deal with these obsessions by repeated counting or saying certain words. Sufferers of this type of OCD may experience obsessions sans any observable rituals or compulsions.

If you suffer from OCD what category would you put yourself in? http://www.ofear.com/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=338

Most of the info that I have accumulated on OCD may be found at http://your-mental-health.weebly.com/f.html with a post on page 1, and I hope that something in the above helps you.

JaneCrory
12-21-2015, 06:39 AM
Thank you x