PDA

View Full Version : Music does it help hinder anxiety?

cloudy black
12-19-2015, 09:42 AM
its that time of year again and i need to step up my management of the anxiety and depression. just now i have been randomly looking at stuff. i am looking at relaxing music but not relaxation music for me they are different. i have and still am it seems been going through the longest time where i am unable to listen to music at all. :( :(

so i am going to have an exploration yes granted its not mainstream music and have a look and see. for me i need to get a handle on the constant background anxiety.

i have randomly found is this http://www.transparentcorp.com/research/isochronic_tones.php it explains the benefits of Isochronic tones

are any of you finding that you cant listen to music because it triggers you?
has the music that you always enjoyed changed and can no longer listen to?

in the past i have used music to manage my emotions and that "worked" but it no longer does. is there anybody out there that has the same thing?

Ponder
12-21-2015, 03:29 AM
Reading on with interest. Please state your age for the record, what type of music you are referring to, dialogue, ambient, bio feed back and anything else you can think of etc. Currently enjoying ambient music from a City Building Simulation Game on my PC, yet feel like throwing up when hearing most random tunes whilst out and about.
I'm 46 years old and mostly listen to ambient tunes ... a wide range.

Next ...

cloudy black
12-21-2015, 09:47 AM
Reading on with interest. Please state your age for the record, what type of music you are referring to, dialogue, ambient, bio feed back and anything else you can think of etc. Currently enjoying ambient music from a City Building Simulation Game on my PC, yet feel like throwing up when hearing most random tunes whilst out and about.
I'm 46 years old and mostly listen to ambient tunes ... a wide range.

Next ...

not in a good space so not in a good space.......

Ponder
12-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Srry if it was something I said. I think I understand though. All the best with finding your space. Hope it's not too loud for you today.

jessed03
12-21-2015, 04:42 PM
Good question.

When I was very young, my depression was extremely raw. If I hear certain songs, I definitely relive those emotions momentarily.

Nowadays I listen to a lot of guitar music like folk and indie. I find the laid back style really suits me.

Songs can evoke certain moods and certain thoughts, so I can deffo see how some people are affected badly by music.

Personally I've taken to podcasts lately. I put one on the mp3 player, head of out for a bike ride. It's awesome. You can get podcasts on literally anything now, too. :)

Kixxi
12-21-2015, 05:51 PM
its that time of year again and i need to step up my management of the anxiety and depression. just now i have been randomly looking at stuff. i am looking at relaxing music but not relaxation music for me they are different. i have and still am it seems been going through the longest time where i am unable to listen to music at all. :( :(

so i am going to have an exploration yes granted its not mainstream music and have a look and see. for me i need to get a handle on the constant background anxiety.

i have randomly found is this http://www.transparentcorp.com/research/isochronic_tones.php it explains the benefits of Isochronic tones

are any of you finding that you cant listen to music because it triggers you?
has the music that you always enjoyed changed and can no longer listen to?

in the past i have used music to manage my emotions and that "worked" but it no longer does. is there anybody out there that has the same thing?

I think it depends on the person. I cannot listen to music when I'm anxious, since I am so hyper-vigilant it sounds distorted. However, it can be a great meditation tool for me when I'm trying to have a little break and am calm already. However, I've learned that some people with specific anxiety disorders use music as a distraction. For me personally it does not work, but that does not mean it cannot work for you.

Fahrenheit
01-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Hmmm. Well, I listened to a lot of music during my last bout with anxiety and depression. Mostly I listened to music with lyrics that I related to, so a lot of it is melancholic because it reflected my state of mind at the time. Sometimes I still revisit that music, now that I am doing well. But I suspect that if I were to listen to it when I was down, there would be an equal chance that it would make me feel less alone (like it used to) or just bring back the pain I was in that much more, and actually make me feel worse. I think it is a little safer to listen to now, where as if I were feeling too much like I did and then listened to it - it might just trigger those feelings, like you said. For example, I listened to In Our Blood non-stop for two or three days in the middle of my anxiety/depression, when I was particularly down, and after that I just stopped because it was already 'bringing me back' into that dark place that I hadn't even escaped yet. I'm still kind of scared to give it a listen. ;)

That said, here are some songs I listened to that I think capture mental illness states really well. The first list is pretty melancholic, and the second list is songs that mix melancholic feelings with hope/grit. Hope some of it helps, but like I said, some of it is really melancholic so if you find that that DOESN'T help you when you are already down, listen with caution. ;) I usually feel better when I listen to sad music, sooo...

Manic and I - Laura Marling
Blackberry Stone - Laura Marling
Ill with Want - Avett Brothers
In Our Blood - Horse Feathers
This is Not Like Home - Great Lake Swimmers
Not Your Year - The Weepies
Slow Pony Home - The Weepies
Jesus Christ - Brand New
Lost - Aqualung
Sundowning - Aqualung

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise - Avett Brothers
I am Not a Robot - Marianna & the Diamonds
Numb - Marianna & the Diamonds
Be calm - fun.
Keep Breathing - Ingrid Michelson
Eet - Regina Specktor
Smilin' - Pascale Picard

I feel like I am forgetting some stuff, but I figure that is enough to start with. Music is a double-edged sword.

cloudy black
01-02-2016, 06:02 AM
Hmmm. Well, I listened to a lot of music during my last bout with anxiety and depression. Mostly I listened to music with lyrics that I related to, so a lot of it is melancholic because it reflected my state of mind at the time. Sometimes I still revisit that music, now that I am doing well. But I suspect that if I were to listen to it when I was down, there would be an equal chance that it would make me feel less alone (like it used to) or just bring back the pain I was in that much more, and actually make me feel worse. I think it is a little safer to listen to now, where as if I were feeling too much like I did and then listened to it - it might just trigger those feelings, like you said. For example, I listened to In Our Blood non-stop for two or three days in the middle of my anxiety/depression, when I was particularly down, and after that I just stopped because it was already 'bringing me back' into that dark place that I hadn't even escaped yet. I'm still kind of scared to give it a listen. ;)

That said, here are some songs I listened to that I think capture mental illness states really well. The first list is pretty melancholic, and the second list is songs that mix melancholic feelings with hope/grit. Hope some of it helps, but like I said, some of it is really melancholic so if you find that that DOESN'T help you when you are already down, listen with caution. ;) I usually feel better when I listen to sad music, sooo...

Manic and I - Laura Marling
Blackberry Stone - Laura Marling
Ill with Want - Avett Brothers
In Our Blood - Horse Feathers
This is Not Like Home - Great Lake Swimmers
Not Your Year - The Weepies
Slow Pony Home - The Weepies
Jesus Christ - Brand New
Lost - Aqualung
Sundowning - Aqualung

Head Full of Doubt/Road Full of Promise - Avett Brothers
I am Not a Robot - Marianna & the Diamonds
Numb - Marianna & the Diamonds
Be calm - fun.
Keep Breathing - Ingrid Michelson
Eet - Regina Specktor
Smilin' - Pascale Picard

I feel like I am forgetting some stuff, but I figure that is enough to start with. Music is a double-edged sword.

i used to do that a lot. OK sure it "makes you feel better" but it is a counterfeit relief in fact what you end up doing is stepping towards inertia, stale mate really. i used to listen to music to numb the "pain" of depression/anxiety and yes "it worked" but my head would just feel like a heavy fog and i certainly wasn't ready to face the world with any real inner peace and strength. and worse than that i believe it gradually eroded my inner resolve. how do you want it to be? continue like this and i can tell you how it will be..

have you considered what you are doing to yourself when you do this? its like highly saturated junk food for the soul. yeah music is VERY much a double edged sword it gives life and it gives death. me i have chosen life. its taken a long time for me to get here.because. self indulgence is a very hard thing to release, but because i knew i couldn't listen to music any longer with soulless and co-dependent lyrics i had to find different music to listen to. in fact mostly all of last year i couldn't listen to music at all because it would trigger stuff. truth be told its been a way lot longer than that. and shopping arcades are horrible for me. the crappy music that is coming through the tannoy (speakers)