PDA

View Full Version : it's been dragging for so long

elhu
11-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Hi,
I might not describe myself correctly, bear with me...

I've never been diagnosed with anxiety or antyhing, which is probably because i have never been to a professional. I've talked to our family doctor and he ended up putting me on beta blockers because of the symptoms i will talk about later (other doctors didn't find anything wrong with my heart). That was 3 years ago, stopped beta blockers after a month...

In 2013, when i get to bed, i start to feel that my heart isn't beating right, never could be definite if it was beating louder, or quicker, or slower. I start to have trouble breathing and then swallowing. I would get up, panic a bit then go back to sleep. That's when i took beta blockers for a month. During that month, i went back to smoking (14 months after quitting) and stopped beta blockers. I've never had the symptoms again... Nowadays, i am getting sick a lot (minor stuff) because of something i am imagining. I travel a lot, for work, and for the past few years, every week before my flight is a nightmare. I can't enjoy my hobbies, I can't work, I can't go out, I start to feel sick, so i basically don't do anything except wait... The feeling goes away when i am at the airport. i am not afraid of flying, being on a place is the most peaceful experience i have ever felt, mainly because i am disconnected from everything, and i know there's nothing i can do? not sure.

This preflight thing has been happening for the past 7 years of constant flight routine. I took every single flight. earlier this month, it got so bad that i postponed my flight for few days. Then i went for it. then another flight 2 days later. pre flight days were a waste of life, i couldn't function, and sick... tomorrow i have another flight, it's been days since i was sick. starting with stomach pain and nausea and co... and next week i got another flight, and in 3 weeks another flight... since the last time where i had to postpone, i think this has gotten over what i can handle.

there's this feeling where i feel that there's a building on my chest, something squeezing my heart to full stop, shortness of breath, sweat... this is how i have reacted to many things since i was in my late teen years... now 29... i am physically healthy, according to the blood tests and ECG's. it has been happening in a much higher frequency lately and it is getting scary. it's affecting my behavior, and my mental state...

if i would describe where i am now, i being crippled by this. but what is "this"? what do i do?

sorry for the long post, i had nowhere else to go... even if i wanted to seek a professional, it's impossible time and location wise...

Anne1221
11-26-2015, 06:31 PM
"this" is most likely anxiety. Not sure what to tell you though. You could talk to your doctor about it.

Fahrenheit
11-29-2015, 07:50 PM
Hmm, it is odd that it happens before the flight, but not during. The fact that is is associated with this specific situation makes me think you are right in assuming it is anxiety and not a physical health issue. I think getting professional help if you can it a good idea, but you can also try meditation to help you get a handle on it in the meantime. Do you have any feeling for why this is a preflight trigger?