PDA

View Full Version : Any good herbal and not 'scribed meds to check out??

davidjm27
09-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I dont want anything to do with any of the prescribed meds, they just cause WAY too many side effects.

Anyone have any success with over the counter herbal remedies.... I have heard some teas work.

thanks

punkgod94
09-11-2008, 05:37 PM
Can't say I've tried many natural remedies or herbal supplements or vitamins, but there are some popular ones out there including...

Kava Kava (use at doctor's discretion as it can cause liver damage)
Valerian Root
Chamomille (found in a lot of teas..."sleepytime tea")
Orange Peel
Hops

...and about a million others that are usually found in combination with those listed above in "stress" pills from holistic stores. For the record, I tried Kava briefly and it did nothing for me. Others swear by natural herbal remedies. I'd recommend trying chamomille tea at night time before any of the other ones I listed.

EmeraldJaguar
12-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Salvia divinorum is good, and legal, along with passionflower and a maybe some nugs if that your thing of course. ;)

james007
01-03-2009, 03:44 PM
I am currently using some workout supplements and they seem to be really helping. I do not want to name the names so that I do not seem like a salesman.

Giz
01-03-2009, 04:14 PM
What exactly for?
Is it just for the anxiety?
Medication as such is not always needed, if youre already doing all this stuff then I apologise for harping on!!

Theres a number of things you can do;
Try to maintain steady blood glucose levels, by cutting out refined sugars and grains from the diet. Getting plenty of lightly cooked or raw veg, and getting more vitamin C (this you may need to supplement as vitamin C breaks down in food so quickly that by the time you pick up the orange in the supermarket, the vitamin C is probably all gone-mind you, its got other goodness in it, so dont ditch the oranges!! Take 1g in between meals)

Cutting down on stimulants-such as caffeine, nicotine, & drugs

Making sure you dont have a food intolerance lurking underneath that you werent aware of..

Getting lots of B vitamins, and magnesium and chromium supplementing them as part of a multi, but please be sure to purchase good quality vitamins, in a health food shop, as opposed to the ones in the supermarket or chemist, as the quality does matter quite a lot. (If in doubt check the vitamin E used, if it is not d-alpha-tocopherol then dont buy it. Theyll try catch you out, with dl-alpha-tocopherol, or just, alpha tocopherol, it has to be the d otherwise its not food source and the body does not use it the same way..)

To aid your detox potential-which can play a role in anxiety, increase your water intake, get plenty of aerobic exercise, and get some milk thistle tincture. 20 drops in a little water (I put mine in with my vitamin C) to help the liver stay in tip top shape.

For relaxing deep breathing is a must, so the essential oils of frankincense, and ylang ylang are useful to encourage deep breathing. Vetivert is known as the oil of tranquility, and is also good for calming the mind. Add lavender to any of these to boost their effectiveness.
Only use 1 drop per 5ml of carrier oil, or 6 drops in an oil burner, or 2 drops of oil on a tissue inside the pillowcase at night. Never exceed this, as it would constitute an overdose and may make the situation worse!! (like with ylang ylang, it can cause nausea in large doses due to its heady scent)

Taking calcium & magnesium in the evenings can help, but it is best if you choose to supplement this to be getting an all round multi in the morning. (Vitamins in the morning as they give energy, minerals in the evening as they are calming)

Other than that I dont want to recommend anything in case it is for the wrong purpose.. Many of the herbs listed above are tranquilisers and sedatives, and so very beneficial for sleep aid, but if you are looking for something to help you through the day then they may not all be suitable..

Perhaps if you had a more detailed prescription of what you would like to achieve? It would be easier to help point you in the right direction then..
:)

kevinpanic77
01-03-2009, 06:27 PM
Salvia divinorum is good, and legal, along with passionflower and a maybe some nugs if that your thing of course. ;)

Don't listen to this person. Salvia is not good for anyone, especially those with anxiety. Miarjuana is also commonly known to cause panic attacks. I would personally like to see this person banned for giving advice like this.

Some natural herbs that help calm you are Valerian and St. John's Wort, which have some of the same properties of benzodiazepines.

Robbed
01-05-2009, 01:48 AM
Some natural herbs that help calm you are Valerian and St. John's Wort, which have some of the same properties of benzodiazepines.

Actually, valerian would be comparable to a benzodiazepine, but St. John's Wort would be more comparable to an SSRI than a benzodiazepine. And although it allegedly produces fewer side effects, the side effects of St John's Wort are somewhat similar to SSRI side effects.