PDA

View Full Version : Staying up late and anxiety

Britanica
06-15-2015, 09:02 AM
So I was thinking. Last year at this time, my anxiety wasn't as bad. What I was doing differently was going to bed at 11PM and waking at 7AM. Since December, my sleeping pattern went back to staying up till 2, 3, 4am and sleeping till after noon. Guess what, my anxiety is worse again.

Then I thought back even further. Prior to my first panic attack, I was staying up late, sometimes staying up for over 24 hours. I was going to bed after 2am and waking at noon. I spent a good 3 years of my teens staying up late and getting bad sleep. Then my anxiety wasnt too bad again for a few years, then I hit 21 and it was bad again. Prior to it getting bad again, I was staying out late, barely sleeping, going in and out of bars with my friends (I wasnt much of a drinker tho), drinking lots of coffee to cope with not sleeping good and BAM a few months later, had a horrible panic attack and the anxiety stuck with me for awhile. I was staying up and out all night, couldn't focus. I was a mess.

It has come and gone in waves and recently started up again pretty bad. I made the connection to not moving enough and not sleeping at the right times. Thinking it over, we as humans can't see at night so staying up late isn't natural for our bodies. I started googling and they are now linking sleeping problems (not getting enough or staying up late) to anxiety!

Thoughts on this? I went to bed earlier and woke up earlier today and feel like crap but I think once I get back into the habit of sleeping at 11PM again, I will feel better.

Goomba
06-15-2015, 09:16 AM
My experience was always the opposite. I am regularly up until 4am, and haven't had anxiety for quite some time.

When my anxiety was at it's worst point, and actually when I had my first panic attack, I was working a job that required me to be up at 5;30 AM, so I would often to go to bed around 9-10.

I think there may be a connection between getting good sleep, and the severity of symptoms, but I don't think it has so much to do with when you sleep (at least when it comes to anxiety specifically). I believe that as long as you get enough hours, it shouldn't matter.

Do people pressure you to change your sleep schedule when you are staying up late? Maybe that is a component.

Britanica
06-15-2015, 09:58 AM
My experience was always the opposite. I am regularly up until 4am, and haven't had anxiety for quite some time.

When my anxiety was at it's worst point, and actually when I had my first panic attack, I was working a job that required me to be up at 5;30 AM, so I would often to go to bed around 9-10.

I think there may be a connection between getting good sleep, and the severity of symptoms, but I don't think it has so much to do with when you sleep (at least when it comes to anxiety specifically). I believe that as long as you get enough hours, it shouldn't matter.

Do people pressure you to change your sleep schedule when you are staying up late? Maybe that is a component.

No one has ever pressured me. I mean I honestly can stay up all night but I swear I feel worse when I am up later than 12am. I know everyone is different. I feel like for me, not sleeping good and staying up late makes mine worse, and years of it has caused this. I am not 100% on this but it does make sense for me. I was also always stressed from 14 to 17 (17 being when I had my first attack). I always judged myself and was hard on myself.

mrslizzyg
06-15-2015, 10:11 AM
I also know there is a correlation between not ENOUGH sleep and anxiety but I have never heard it actually depends on where in the night those hours were slept..

I know for me, whenever I have to set an alarm and get up on someone else's time, my anxiety is worse lol. I'm so grumpy in the mornings anyways, though.

Everyone's body is different though. I think if you are noticing a spike in your anxiety when you sleep "off" hours, then you are probably right. There is no "one size fits all" with anxiety. Listening to your body/mind, is going to be what helps you. :) Do what you need to do!

Britanica
06-15-2015, 10:22 AM
I also know there is a correlation between not ENOUGH sleep and anxiety but I have never heard it actually depends on where in the night those hours were slept..

I know for me, whenever I have to set an alarm and get up on someone else's time, my anxiety is worse lol. I'm so grumpy in the mornings anyways, though.

Everyone's body is different though. I think if you are noticing a spike in your anxiety when you sleep "off" hours, then you are probably right. There is no "one size fits all" with anxiety. Listening to your body/mind, is going to be what helps you. :) Do what you need to do!

Thanks and I agree. There are different reasons for this stress response. I am going to make the change and stick with it, see if it helps. I seem to get deeper sleep when I sleep early as well. A study was done (I can't remember where the link is) that showed the average person got a more restful sleep when going to bed with in 2 hours of the sun setting vs 6 hours after.

I am hoping this is it and with practice and a better sleep schedule, it heals and rids itself. I know I am calmer when I get up earlier. Most people complain about being on edge though haha

Goomba
06-15-2015, 10:47 AM
I definitely do think going to bed at more "normal" times can encourage more restful sleep.

Getting good rest is 100% a factor (as lizzy said)

I only brought up being pressured because I can remember my parents hounding me to get on a more "normal" routine, even though I often worked until 2AM.

Made me feel kinda awful sometimes.

needtogetwell
06-15-2015, 10:48 AM
There are all types of studies out there correlating blue light exposure (TV screens, phones, computers etc) after sun down and sleep disturbances.

The timing you go to bed may be better at the earlier time because you have lessened the exposure to blue light, and are getting better quality sleep than if you went to bed later and slept until noon .

I hope you feel better making the change to the earlier bed time.

MeanJoeGreen
06-16-2015, 02:40 AM
My anxiety is much worse at night! Its terrifying and sometimes I get panic attacks.

I am on the same boat as you, I have been battling anxiety and panic attacks since I was about 14, so almost 10 years! Sometimes I think it would be best to just give up and die but I know its not the correct answer. It has been almost a month since my last panic attack and I used to have them almost every day!

There are a few exercises you can use to help control the panic and anxiety, they have helped out tremendously for me. They do not cure you by any means but it does help.

Take a look at anxiousreview . com

its a good read :) hope I was helpful and remember that you are not alone.