PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else have this symptom?!?

jleeann
05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Hello,

I am new here and wondering about a specific symptom that I can't seem to find any information on. As someone who has struggled with anxiety on and off for 10 years, this has been really bothersome lately.

So, here's the weird symptom that I'm hoping others can relate to and that doesn't represent any major mental issues!

I started having these weird moments of a strange sensation that I was suddenly underwater...say, in the bottom of the ocean. Or, out in space. Or on the top of very high building. Thinking about these things, watching movies that have scenes of being underwater or out in space or in a tall building trigger this symptom. It usually come on suddenly, randomly at times it seems, and goes away within a few minutes. I don't SEE anything like hallucinations, I don't FEEL anything like cold, wet, etc. Just this odd THOUGHT/FEELING of being in those places. It creates more anxiety which often throws me into a panic attack which of course has it's own set of symptoms! I don't disconnect from reality at all, I am very aware where I am, who I am, etc. It has been getting some better, it used to be really intense when all of this anxiety season started. Also, sometimes I have the weird sensation that there's someone else in the room. I don't SEE anyone, HEAR anyone, etc. It's just that same odd sensation as the others...I do not suffer from paranoia or anything.

As a background, I have had panic attacks, lots of stress, phobias, depression and stomach issues for the past 6 months. I believe I have discovered low serotonin issues that i have been treating naturally and is beginning to get much better.

This is just one of the last symptoms that I don't seem to fully understand and was hoping others could relate or ease my fears about it. Hoping its just really bad DP or DR. But not sure. I have suffered with those at times as well so maybe that's all it is. Anyway, any thoughts and advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks

gypsylee
05-11-2015, 07:39 PM
Hi and welcome :)

I've not had this specific symptom but I've had plenty of similar weird feelings. Like at one point, early on, I felt like I was leaving bits of my soul wherever I went. I wasn't psychotic or anything and I can't even understand how this felt now, but that's how it was. Then I had other weird phases, like feeling as if I recognised every person I saw on the street. It freaked me the hell out and I thought I was headed straight for a mental institution.

I think it is a form of derealisation. Anxiety can do so many odd things to how we feel. It sounds like when you watch movies about being underwater or in space or whatever, your brain sort of latches onto that and gives you these weird feelings that you're in those situations. It could well be related to low serotonin levels but even doctors and scientists don't really understand how the brain works.

Just try to ignore it as best you can. You won't go crazy or anything or I would've been locked up years ago!

All the best,
Gypsy x