PDA

View Full Version : Calmative Breathing Technique

Maggie May
12-22-2005, 05:55 AM
I want to share something that I learned in a CBT class that is a good first step for managing anxiety. It's not the cure, at all, but it's just a nice tool to have in your toolbelt that you can use. I have been gathering tools for my toolbelt for years now and it is nice to have a variety of helpful tools.

Here's the tool. It's not the only way to do this, just one way.

1. Put your hand on your stomach.
2. Take a slow, deep breath. Make sure your stomach pushes out against your hand when you breathe in, that's a sign that you're taking a nice deep breath, not just a teeny one into the top of your lungs. Keep your hand on your stomach.
3. Hold your breath for four seconds. Count them in your head, or out loud if you're alone or with someone who understands. "One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand, four one thousand." Keep your hand on your stomach.
4. Exhale slowly through pursed lips, like you're blowing out candles on a birthday cake. Blow out nice and evenly, not all at once. Try to exhale for as long as you can, until you feel your stomach deflating and then feel the muscles contract as you blow out the very last of the breath.

Do you feel a little bit better? The unpleasant physical and psychological symptoms of anxiety are caused, at least in part, by adrenaline. When people exhale, their bodies secrete a chemical called acetylcholine. Acetylcholine burns up adrenaline. Less adrenaline in your system means less anxious symptoms, at least for the short term. The longer you exhale, the more acetylcholine you secrete.

Acetylcholine and it's calming effects is why breathing is an essential part of meditation, yoga, pilates, tai chi and many other calming practices.

It's also one of the reasons exercise is so good for anxiety. You release adrenaline when you exercise, but your body is using it up as fast as it's secreted, so you feel more calm. Plus, you're exhaling so much from the extertion, you're secreting a lot of acetylcholine, so you're extra relaxed.

You can do it anytime, but doing it at the first sign of anxiety is best. Five minutes of calmative breathing first thing in the morning can be very helpful for people who usually wake up anxious, and you can do it at night for as long as it takes to get to sleep.

With a little practice, you can do it anywhere without anyone knowing. It's always available, you don't need to see a doctor to use it, it's not addictive, it has no side effects, and it's free! ;)

I hope it helps, even if it's just a little bit.

Maggie

shoe
12-22-2005, 09:08 AM
MaggieMay,

thanks for the tips and explanation! Interesting stuff. I really need to take a physiology course in college to learn more about the way the body works, its fascinating stuff.

My old psychiatrist actually had me try a breathing exercise where I was to breathe in and out for a same number count, while touching my nostrils (to somehow concentrate on them raising and lowering as air moved in and out). Being the lazy fool I am, I never practiced it. hehe.

Any more of your helpful tools would be welcomed! We could move them to the Resources & Articles section =)

thanks
shoe

scatmantom
12-27-2005, 04:02 PM
The breathing method I use is to Breath in while forcing my stomach muscles out...but breathing very deeply and slowly.
AS i breath in I say in my head..."my head is cool...my thoughts are clear" Then i breath out with my mouth in a blowing shape and breath very slowly relaxing my stomach muscles. I find it very effective when i feel anxiety coming on..it usually prevents a full on attack from happening.

My problem is that i cant do this when im out and about..and its when im out that my anxiety tends to be worst :(

shoe
12-29-2005, 07:25 AM
sctamantom, i can identify with that. I think that's why they say its important to practice the breathing exercises quite a bit, so that it almost becomes an automatic response thing. I dont know what the number of times to practice it on a regular basis would be to get the breathing techniques you learned to kick in when u need it, but it was suggested to me to do something like this 3 times a day everyday.. but who knows. I'm lazy and a procrastinator so I'm not all that good at following through on this

scatmantom
01-04-2006, 02:25 PM
lol thanks shoe but yes u are right...my doctor has told me i need to practice...im just lazy and tend to forget.

rymorg2
01-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the tip, Maggie, I'll have to start doing it. ;)Cyndi

AnthonyDaconti
01-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Breathe deeply in and out through your nose. Fill your lungs completely on the way in and empty them completely on the way out. Add a "mantra" which is a calming and soothing statement that you repeat to yourself. You can also combine other yoga practices with breathing exercises for anxiety including stretching, which combats the physical symptoms of anxiety.