PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Fidgeting

raggamuffin
04-17-2015, 01:47 PM
Common with anxiety? I am rather restless in general when awake, have been all my life - I fidget, I sway, I can barely keep still. I was reading the news today and came across a story which asked if you were restless when sleeping - fidgeting, flailing etc. Then went onto say recent research has said 80-90% of people with rapid eye movement sleep behaviour disorder develop Parkinson's disease or another neurological disorder.

Obviously this begs the question do all people who fidget when sleeping have RBD. It seems the amount of people diagnosed with this condition is minute. So, much like cancer fears and other fears it's highly unlikely for me to have it. But of course, tiny percentiles is what you can often focus on when you have anxiety and breeds hundreds of "what if" questions.

But then when you look into RBD it seems people with it are extremely noticeable - proper punching, kicking, shouting, talking whilst in REM:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Sleep-Related-Declarative-Memory-Consolidation-and-Verbal-Replay-during-Sleep-Talking-in-Patients-pone.0083352.s004.ogv

Sometimes don't you just wish you didn't stumble across such scary news articles when you weren't even looking for anything of the sort?

Ed

gypsylee
04-18-2015, 07:34 AM
Common with anxiety? I am rather restless in general when awake, have been all my life - I fidget, I sway, I can barely keep still. I was reading the news today and came across a story which asked if you were restless when sleeping - fidgeting, flailing etc. Then went onto say recent research has said 80-90% of people with rapid eye movement sleep behaviour disorder develop Parkinson's disease or another neurological disorder.

Obviously this begs the question do all people who fidget when sleeping have RBD. It seems the amount of people diagnosed with this condition is minute. So, much like cancer fears and other fears it's highly unlikely for me to have it. But of course, tiny percentiles is what you can often focus on when you have anxiety and breeds hundreds of "what if" questions.

But then when you look into RBD it seems people with it are extremely noticeable - proper punching, kicking, shouting, talking whilst in REM:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/ab/Sleep-Related-Declarative-Memory-Consolidation-and-Verbal-Replay-during-Sleep-Talking-in-Patients-pone.0083352.s004.ogv

Sometimes don't you just wish you didn't stumble across such scary news articles when you weren't even looking for anything of the sort?

Ed

Well I don't think I have that. I've been told I don't move for hours when I sleep haha. But yeah I try to avoid reading anything much about health because I always end up thinking the worst.

raggamuffin
04-18-2015, 12:42 PM
Indeed, I rationalized it later, was just a worrying "what if" in the back of my mind. but I know deep down it's a false belief. if I was kicking, punching and talking loud in my sleep every night i know my gf would have told me ages ago :)

Ed

gypsylee
04-18-2015, 06:15 PM
True. Sometimes it's handy to have a "sleeping partner" :)