PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with this symptom?

billie48
04-13-2015, 05:41 PM
I have anxiety and panic disorder for many years and I have been able to live a relatively normal life by reading up and following some strategies to cope and to live with the disorders. While generally I tend to accept symptoms such as tightness of chest, shallow breathing, dizziness, adrenaline rush, even the panic feeling, etc., I find it hard to cope with this symptom to the head - that the brain is all foggy, head seems pressured and feels like some numb pain (not acute pain like bad headache) all over the skull, as if it blankets the head, and it seems to suck energy out of my brain leaving it quite depressed or scared. This seems dragged out much more than other anxiety sensations which are often fleeting and coming in a wave. Is this headache by anxiety/stress? I try to accept this symptom but not very successful and have to use meds like Ibuprofen (for headache) or Ativan to relieve the symptom. Am I supposed to just accept this cold turkey and flow with it despite the prolong discomfort? I find that when the symptom happens often without an ability to effective counter it, I can get panicky with it. Or a combination of will power & meds is necessary for this symptom? Is there any effective method to relieve this symptom without using meds? Any tips from those who have overcome this?

jessed03
04-13-2015, 06:59 PM
I had to write off years of my life to this. I had it 24/7, for ages. Nasty, nasty symptom.

Do you have any gastro problems, out of interest?

Tremor
04-13-2015, 07:26 PM
I am dealing with this symptom right now as well. It sucks! First time I have ever had it, so I am eager also to hear some remedies. I feel your pain... literally!

billie48
04-13-2015, 08:32 PM
I had to write off years of my life to this. I had it 24/7, for ages. Nasty, nasty symptom.

Do you have any gastro problems, out of interest?

No I don't have gastro problem. Actually I have this problem for over 40 years on and off since I was 24. I have anxiety and panic disorders since 24, but still managed to graduate from university, married, have an It job, raised some kids and now a grandfather. It is not like I can't live with this problem. I was just using a combination of meds, will power, outdoor life and also using the acceptance approach to deal with this. It seems to do with the depletion of some brain chemicals due to stress & anxiety in my case and I have to use Prozac (which is a SSRI AD) to help replenish the chemical imbalance. I also use Ativan (a benzo) when needed and headache meds such as Ibuprofen for short term intervention. I am trying to ask from others to see if they have a different approach and succeed with it. I have read often the concept of accepting anxiety and its symptoms in order to beat anxiety, and I wonder if that includes accepting this particular symptom which seems to be a combination of headache and depressed mind.

jessed03
04-13-2015, 08:44 PM
I've spoken to so many people with this problem that I've lost count. I've found almost unanimously it comes down to two things:

Bodily inflammation (which is why I asked about gastro issues, other symptoms include arthritis and bad allergies)

or

Emotions that are too strong to handle, and are expressed outwardly in a psychosomatic way (brain fog). These strong emotions include, unmet desires, longing for love, frustrations, self-esteem issues, control issues, parental issues, unresolved grief, resentment, etc. They can also include the emotions anxiety makes you feel, i.e, powerlessness, and again, intense frustration.

Does chemical imbalance contribute towards this, sure, but I feel this one symptom is more indicative of other problems, pretty much the two above. I've found, including from my own experience, ADs just band-aid the problem (which is nice), but rid very few people of it long-term. I was clear of it for a couple of years while on citalopram, but soon found it return after quitting. It's like the citalopram calmed me enough to keep my emotions in check, but really couldn't conquer an emotional issue that had very deep roots in my psyche.

Also, I found ibuprofen to be helpful, just like you, as it's also an anti-inflammatory. Then again, I was recently diagnosed with an auto-immune disorder, so I had more reason to have bodily inflammation perhaps.

I would say at least 98 people of every 100 suffer brain fog for either (or both) of the two reasons above. If you feel neither resonate with you, that's fine, not everyone fits into a check box, but have a very deep dig around inside the body and mind before looking for other coping mechanisms. :)

billie48
04-13-2015, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the detail reply. I think I do have sinus allergy and hay fever allergy. As far as the other thing, it is more to do with the strong emotions with anxiety. It comes and go at periods of my life. So when it comes, it tends to knock me over for a few weeks and yes, I would feel foggy when frustrated with not being able to control the symptoms of anxiety attack. Then slowly I would concede or surrender to the symptom, using some meds to moderate the effect of it. You do have a point there. The SSRI AD is usually when anxiety attacks trigger depressive symptoms, then I will take some until my anxiety symptoms stablize. It is not addictive like benzos are which need to be tapered off slowly.