PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive Thoughts, No Reason, At Age 30

AnxiousAvery
04-10-2015, 07:56 PM
This is a hard thing to explain. What it boils down to is I've laways had anxiety problems. Because of several misdiagnosed things, I was always on medication. When I became an adult I was told that I don't actually have bipolar or borderline. I do have anxiety but it was recomended that I go off of the medications I was on since I didn't have severe problems like once thought. I was off of these meds for 5 years, no problems. I hit the age of 30 and suddenly I am having intrusive thoughts for no reason. I have noticed the thoughts get worse when my stomach is upset. I sufffer from really bad IBS which causes me to be anxious A LOT because I'm terrified of going somewhere and getting sick (it's happened a lot) and this has caused me to withdraw and avoid going out as much as possible. I am not social anxious, I don't mind being around people, what terrifies me is the idea of getting sick in public and since IBS is unpredictable d to leave my house, most of the time scared to leave my room. I do anyway, I mean it's not so bad that I don't go out. I go out maybe once or twice a day but I HATE doing it because I'm terrified I'll get sick.

Anyway any time my stomach is upset I have the most messed up intrusive thoughts. They get violent and gross and they scare me. I can't seem to turn them off either. I am already in therapy and I am trying to find a psychiatrist. The problem is that takes a long time and the one I just saw straight up lied to me about the meds she was putting me on. The meds not only weren't what she said but they caused a MASSIVE reaction that made me even worse. I'm 30 years old I don't know my family history because I'm adopted, and I'm terrified that I'm going insane. Is this the start of a psychotic break? Or is it just extreme anxiety? Is it because my stomach is almost constantly upset because of my IBS? I mean is there any way to fix this? I just don't want to go insane or hurt anyone. Yes I talk to my therapist about this but she can't be there 100% of the time, so what exactly do I do? Over my entire life no matter how bad it's been I've never exhibited psychotic behavior is it possible to suddenly become psychotic of 30 years of being fine?

gypsylee
04-11-2015, 08:29 AM
This is a hard thing to explain. What it boils down to is I've laways had anxiety problems. Because of several misdiagnosed things, I was always on medication. When I became an adult I was told that I don't actually have bipolar or borderline. I do have anxiety but it was recomended that I go off of the medications I was on since I didn't have severe problems like once thought. I was off of these meds for 5 years, no problems. I hit the age of 30 and suddenly I am having intrusive thoughts for no reason. I have noticed the thoughts get worse when my stomach is upset. I sufffer from really bad IBS which causes me to be anxious A LOT because I'm terrified of going somewhere and getting sick (it's happened a lot) and this has caused me to withdraw and avoid going out as much as possible. I am not social anxious, I don't mind being around people, what terrifies me is the idea of getting sick in public and since IBS is unpredictable d to leave my house, most of the time scared to leave my room. I do anyway, I mean it's not so bad that I don't go out. I go out maybe once or twice a day but I HATE doing it because I'm terrified I'll get sick.

Anyway any time my stomach is upset I have the most messed up intrusive thoughts. They get violent and gross and they scare me. I can't seem to turn them off either. I am already in therapy and I am trying to find a psychiatrist. The problem is that takes a long time and the one I just saw straight up lied to me about the meds she was putting me on. The meds not only weren't what she said but they caused a MASSIVE reaction that made me even worse. I'm 30 years old I don't know my family history because I'm adopted, and I'm terrified that I'm going insane. Is this the start of a psychotic break? Or is it just extreme anxiety? Is it because my stomach is almost constantly upset because of my IBS? I mean is there any way to fix this? I just don't want to go insane or hurt anyone. Yes I talk to my therapist about this but she can't be there 100% of the time, so what exactly do I do? Over my entire life no matter how bad it's been I've never exhibited psychotic behavior is it possible to suddenly become psychotic of 30 years of being fine?

Hey there,

I can't answer all your questions but I do know what it's like to worry about psychosis because of anxiety. I think the older you get the less likely it is that you'll have a psychotic break. Generally it appears in late teens/early 20s. You come across much more as an anxious person than a psychotic one.

All the best :)
Gypsy x

em1
04-11-2015, 06:38 PM
Hello there first can I say I've been there and boy do I know what your talking about.
Tho they are only thoughts,plain and simple
Scary as hell yes they can be
You ask yourself omg I thinking that so that's got to be true
No it's not
Give the book imp of the mind a read
It's all about intrusrive thoughs
It helped me loads
Your not alone,every living person has intrusrive thoughts but because we are anxious we get panicked by this and over think it
One thing you can't control is your thoughts so don't try to as that makes it worse
Let the thoughts just come and go as after all they are a thought
Ok let me put it this way if I said to you. Don't think of a pink flying pig what's the first thing you will think of ?
A pink flying pig right? Lol
Don't over think,your going to be fine this will pass in time :)

beyondinfinity
04-11-2015, 07:45 PM
In my late twenties I started feeling sick gradually and for many years felt sick. I was eating poorly, afraid to eat stuff, afraid to go out and do stuff like travel to far away places. I had pain in my abdomen that no doctor could tell me what it was. My stomach was the centre of my attention. I went to so many doctors had so many tests, including things like celiac, but nothing ever came back positive and one doctor mentioned I might have IBS. But that still didn't help because it seems like such a general diagnosis and doesn't offer any solution. But I know what you mean about being afraid of getting sick in public. Sometimes I would be driving and had to pull over because I felt nauseous. Or in university I would have to leave class because something I ate almost made me throw up. And every little thing that goes wrong with me like an upset stomach or pain, would cause my anxiety to skyrocket because I would get worried and start thinking I had some serious medical condition.

Looking back I would probably say the bulk of the issue was nervousness and my anxiety that caused the IBS, which then triggered more anxiety because I was always worried about it.

I had to take matters into my own hands and experiment with different foods, eating patterns and such. Over time it became less of a problem until today I eat normally have a normal travel, and no longer feel sick.

If I were you I would try and start with being proactive with your IBS and try to maybe do something to figure out what is causing it. Is it something you eat, stress, nervousness, allergy etc.

I've had intrusive thoughts occasionally, including some disturbing ones that made me wonder if I would ever act on them. Of course that never happened and they remained just thoughts.

Try learning meditation to calm your mind and also some form of yoga. There are a lot of videos on youtube. You can follow along in the comfort of your home. It really helped me recently. Yoga is good because it gets your mind off your own thoughts as you try to maintain all those difficult poses without toppling over. I think it activates a different part of the brain turning focus away from the part that is causing the anxiety.