PDA

View Full Version : doctor told me several times my muscle twitches are from stress. is this possible??

Help2015
04-02-2015, 07:54 AM
I started having a muscle twitch in my arm 3 months ago, then it quickly spread to my whole whole body, ie; arms, legs, butt, face, legs, hands, back, stomach, feet. I also have tingling in my legs and arms as well. Doctor said this points away from ALS. I recently had a neurological exam done by my family doctor and everything was fine. I saw another doctor and they agreed with my family doctor. My thyroid is a bit low but treatment made me feel worse, ie: more twitches. I was told that I need to deal with my stress and anxiety. I started looking up my symptoms and I became worried of ALS.

I also have no muscle wasting or weakness. I do have some muscle cramps that move around but my doctor told me that too much thyroid hormone can do that. He took me off my thyroid medication. He also stated that with ALS twitches do not jump around the body at random, same goes for the minor cramps I have. I have mentioned my fear of ALS to him several times and he seemed to getting annoyed with me. I am at a very very stressful point in my life.

The twitches vary in strength all throughout my body.If I get up and move around the twitches and cramps stop and I generally feel better. But when I sit down they start up again. I have seen my doctor 3 times in a month and he thinks it is all stress related. I am very stressed and I have an ongoing fear of ALS as a result of goggling my symptoms.

My GF is a also a doctor and she has tested my reflexes and performed some strength tests and she see's nothing that would suggest ALS. But I am still very worried due to my muscles twitches. Does this sound like anxiety and stress to anyone else??

Damavandi
04-02-2015, 02:34 PM
Hi:

Ask your doctor to order a vitamin D3 (25-OH) blood test.
Vitamin D deficiency, almost always, causes tingeling, mucle twitches, and numbness in facial muscles
through a mechanism called hyperventilation.

You may read the below link, which is my vitamin D story/thread at this forum.

http://anxietyforum.net/forum/showthread.php?12695-Vitamin-D3-Cured-my-Anxiety-Depression-and-Panic-Disorder

Best wishes,
Ali

jessed03
04-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Worth having a Vitamin D test done.

It's also worth taking some magnesium for a bit. That can act as a muscle relaxant.

Anxiety does cause muscle twitches though, so I'm inclined to agree with your doctor here. Many of us here, myself included, have had the same problem.