PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone worry about their pets?

GennR
04-02-2015, 06:22 AM
I have a cat I'm very close to and when I'm away, I have panic attacks and worry I'll come home and find her dead. Whenever she has the littlest thing wrong with her or different about her, I'm convinced she has a serious health problem and Google the heck out of. This morning's "crisis" is that the hair on the back of her ears is thinning. I'm fairly sure it's just from shedding her winter coat and luckily my friend works for a vet and answers all of my cat questions...but she isn't awake yet, so I'm just waiting. I can't help but wonder if something is wrong. I am addressing my GAD with meds and therapy, really successfully right now, but we are going on vacation next week and I'm worried about leaving the cat. It's so bad I installed a camera that I can view remotely, so I can double-check their food supply and hopefully avoid a panic attack (or 7) this time.

I feel pretty silly and just wondered who else struggles with this. It probably doesn't help that the cat has a serious health problem and had a rough year in and out of hospitals way back, but then again, I'm not sure it would make a difference if she was completely healthy. She's just so sensitive and social...we've bonded in a deeper way than I've had with a cat before and I worry about losing that bond.

Im-Suffering
04-02-2015, 08:42 AM
It probably doesn't help that the cat has a serious health problem and had a rough year in and out of hospitals way back, but then again, I'm not sure it would make a difference if she was completely healthy. She's just so sensitive and social...we've bonded in a deeper way than I've had with a cat before and I worry about losing that bond.

Read what i have bolded above several times until it clicks in you. you have clearly enunciated the reason for the concern. your love, your bond, the previous rough patch with health. its all there, in your words.

why not leave her at a hotel for cats? where they will pamper to her every need? if its affordable for you. look for one in your area. i wouldnt suggest boarding at the vets because they leave them in small cages. but these 'hotels' allow them to play and free roam.

if that is not an option, do your best to leave her comfortable, possibly with a trusted friend checking in daily to play, feed, etc. if possible. just do your best. she will be ok ! and so will you :)

JustaGal
04-03-2015, 03:53 PM
I have a cat I'm very close to and when I'm away, I have panic attacks and worry I'll come home and find her dead. Whenever she has the littlest thing wrong with her or different about her, I'm convinced she has a serious health problem and Google the heck out of. This morning's "crisis" is that the hair on the back of her ears is thinning. I'm fairly sure it's just from shedding her winter coat and luckily my friend works for a vet and answers all of my cat questions...but she isn't awake yet, so I'm just waiting. I can't help but wonder if something is wrong. I am addressing my GAD with meds and therapy, really successfully right now, but we are going on vacation next week and I'm worried about leaving the cat. It's so bad I installed a camera that I can view remotely, so I can double-check their food supply and hopefully avoid a panic attack (or 7) this time.

I feel pretty silly and just wondered who else struggles with this. It probably doesn't help that the cat has a serious health problem and had a rough year in and out of hospitals way back, but then again, I'm not sure it would make a difference if she was completely healthy. She's just so sensitive and social...we've bonded in a deeper way than I've had with a cat before and I worry about losing that bond.

I have worried with my dog. It is a fixation your mind has decided to obsess on - sorry about the health issues. I have worked it out in my mind that the day of separation is inevitable and I will survive my grief. My dog is my best buddie.

It is very common, pets, kids, loved ones, we dont want to loose who we love

tryingto
04-04-2015, 05:51 PM
I have four dogs and two cats, and I've definitely experienced this before, but it's never been so bad that I've had a panic attack. I completely understand where you're coming from, though.

The camera thing actually sounds like a nifty idea, but make sure not to fixate on it. Make sure you have a nice and relaxing vacation; you deserve it! Maybe have someone close that you trust check in on the cat and make sure she's doing okay?

I'm sure everything will be fine :)