PDA

View Full Version : Denying yourself feelings of normality

Jemma8286
01-24-2015, 05:15 AM
Hello all,

Just a quick question. My emotions can change hour by hour. I can be a nervous wreck in the depths of hell one hour and then the next hour I can feel *slightly* myself.

During those times of feeling slightly myself I find myself practically denying myself of it. Constantly questioning how I feel. I reckon I ask myself at least 50 times a day "how do I feel"?

Does anyone else do this and if so has anyone got any tips on how to stop questioning my feelings?

I've been put on quetiapine 50 mg by my psychiatrist and she is tempted to diagnose me with cyclothymia.

Happy thoughts everyone,

Jem

JustaGal
01-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Hello all,

Just a quick question. My emotions can change hour by hour. I can be a nervous wreck in the depths of hell one hour and then the next hour I can feel *slightly* myself.

During those times of feeling slightly myself I find myself practically denying myself of it. Constantly questioning how I feel. I reckon I ask myself at least 50 times a day "how do I feel"?

Does anyone else do this and if so has anyone got any tips on how to stop questioning my feelings?

I've been put on quetiapine 50 mg by my psychiatrist and she is tempted to diagnose me with cyclothymia.

Happy thoughts everyone,

Jem

Hi,

I totally identify with that. I can distinctly feel my mood change when it does. We are way hypervigilant about how we are doing/feeling at any given time. I have increasingly improved over the last 5 months. I attribute my progress to to meds and Krill Oil. When I was at my worst and finally felt a glimpse of "myself", I would think wtf is that weirdness all about?! So perplexing. It is like everything is through black colored glasses instead of rose colored glasses! To answer your question about stopping questioning your feelings - my experience says to get out of your head by focusing on other people in conversation, giving to them takes the focus off of self pre-occupation. Busy your self with pleasurable things that the brain can feed on instead of it searching for something to fix.

Jemma8286
01-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Thanks for replying. Your black coloured glass comment hits the nail on the head.

I can literally pin point the second that my mood drops so I try and bring myself back to reality but I consider myself an amateur at that at the moment.

I am so so impatient and I think that is playing a huge part at the moment. I just want to be better overnight and I know that that is unrealistic

JustaGal
01-24-2015, 02:31 PM
Thanks for replying. Your black coloured glass comment hits the nail on the head.

I can literally pin point the second that my mood drops so I try and bring myself back to reality but I consider myself an amateur at that at the moment.

I am so so impatient and I think that is playing a huge part at the moment. I just want to be better overnight and I know that that is unrealistic

All these things seem so disturbing until you read on here our symptoms are textbook with anxiety/depression sufferers. So I just now say "par for the course" haha. I am not making light of it, I have truly thought I would live in a hospital ward or never come back from the dark side. I think another helpful tip is to just ride out the wave of mood until it passes without analyzing it. Easier at some times than others. When I cant do it, a little benzo will help.

Jemma8286
01-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Benzos don't do anything for me other than make me panic that they will have some random adverse affect.

Thanks for your tips :)

JustaGal
01-24-2015, 03:20 PM
Benzos don't do anything for me other than make me panic that they will have some random adverse affect.

Thanks for your tips :)

Keep us posted : )

gypsylee
01-24-2015, 06:44 PM
Hey there :)

I can't really improve on what's already been said here. The whole hyper vigilant thing and the black glasses - totally agree. I also agree that the best way to stop it is to do things that take you away from yourself. Even things like just going for a walk. But I do know how hard it is to get out of this habit of obsessing about how you feel.. Sometimes you just have to wait it out and accept it.

I also wanted to say I've been on Quetiapine (Seroquel). I was on a much higher dose but in the end it made things worse. It gave me a racing heart which I mistook for anxiety and it put a lot of weight on. But 50mg is a low dose so you might not have those problems. See how you go :)

All the best,
Gypsy x

JustaGal
01-24-2015, 07:48 PM
Hey there :)

I can't really improve on what's already been said here. The whole hyper vigilant thing and the black glasses - totally agree. I also agree that the best way to stop it is to do things that take you away from yourself. Even things like just going for a walk. But I do know how hard it is to get out of this habit of obsessing about how you feel.. Sometimes you just have to wait it out and accept it.

I also wanted to say I've been on Quetiapine (Seroquel). I was on a much higher dose but in the end it made things worse. It gave me a racing heart which I mistook for anxiety and it put a lot of weight on. But 50mg is a low dose so you might not have those problems. See how you go :)

All the best,
Gypsy x

Yes, the ole glasses.... like a different reality. : D Have a good weekend!