PDA

View Full Version : Scared that exercise can cause a heart attack

Stab
01-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Hi,

I'm a 29-year old male. Fairly skinny so no obesity here. Stopped smoking 5 years ago and consume a moderate amount of alcohol. Not much to worry actually.
I'm playing tennis for 5 years now. Around 2-3 times a week in the spring till autumn and much less in the winter.

Alright here is the problem. I've always been worried about things like health problems, diseases and etc. 99.9% of the time Im fine though. But the one thing that has always scared me the most is that there is something wrong with my heart. Not really my heart in specific because I'm actually sure I can't have heart problems because of the simple facts that I've played vigirous tennis matches in the past and never had any heart disease symptoms whatsoever, but I'm just scared of the simple fact that this thing needs to keep pumping in order for me to live. I'm just scared that any moment something in my body breaks off, goes wrong, sends out a wrong signal, etc, and my heart stops beating. And that's it, I will slowly die.

The thought alone makes me anxious. Now I did have some panic attacks over the last 2 years, and actually I'm slowly recovering from one I've had 6 weeks ago. I'm trying to to everything I can at the moment to lose my anxiety disorder. The problem is that over time I became even more scared of a heart attack that I'm not even looking forward to play tennis anymore. As you all know, exercise increases the heart rate and can bring on palpitations (feeling of heart beat without measuring it), shallow breathing, etc. And it is these sensations that I hate and I can't relax anymore whenever I feel them.

When I play a vigirous point in a tennis match and my heart rate increases and I feel it pounding, I feel very much unease and restless and can't really relax until the feeling passes. What makes me the most uncomfortable is the feeling that, during the time that my heart rate is up, I'm getting a heart attack. What makes matters worse is that I know, because I've read it, that the chance of a heart attack during is 3x greater during exercise. I know that exercise is healthy in general and will actually reduce the chance of heart problems in the future, but I just cannot feel at ease while my heart is pumping fast.

Unfortunately, tennis was my biggest hobby and it is also a very healthy thing to do so I want to keep doing it and look forward doing it. Any advice? Anyone in the same boat? How do you get over the fear of a heart attack while your heart is racing?

Bonus question: Do you also feel your heart beating (without touching with your hands or measuring) after a short fast burst of exercise? Is that normal?
Bonus question 2: Does the chance of a heart attack increase while one is doings vigirous sports for like 1-2 hours? How long can a heart rate be up (to lets say 150 bpm average) without any problems?

h_rock
01-22-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm 30, smoked and drank heavily from the age of 15 to 25/26. My anxiety started when I was 20 and exercise and weight training has been a huge part of my recovery.

When I first got back in to football my heart would be pounding so much after playing and I felt very dizzy that it did make me feel very panicky. However, it didn't take long for my mind to know that my heart was supposed to be beating fast. It wasn't an anxiety triggered rapid heart rate, just down to the exercise. In fact it needed to be beating fast, if it stayed at a resting rate I would be in more trouble because I wouldn't get the oxygen supply I needed.

Now when I go and exercise which I do several times a week, I really enjoy the sensation of a beating heart. I know it is supposed to be doing it and I know that I'm improving the heart muscle by using it. I can feel it in my chest without touching it or feeling my pulse, but I dispelled the fear that it was something to be concerned about.

In terms of your worry about having a heart attack or something in your body 'breaking', that is purely anxiety. Anxiety leads to negative and unrealistic thoughts, in short they are lies. The more you think them the more you worry and the more they are fuelled. You have to believe 100% that that is all it is, because, THAT IS ALL IT IS.

At your age and the fact you are fairly active you are not at risk of a heart attack. Even on the smallest, tinniest, minute chance you have a heart issue it is just as likely to happen when you stand up as when you play sport. It is something you can do nothing about and you have to let go of those thoughts. All you are doing is causing yourself stress and concern and it doesn't have to be that way.

I play 90 minutes of football without problem every week. If you are worried, take it slow and build up the time you spend playing bit by bit.

Just don't let the anxiety limit what you do, you'll only end up regretting it when you're too old to play anymore.

Hugo

NixonRulz
01-22-2015, 04:09 PM
I just responded in blue to each paragraph. Good day to you

Hi,

I'm a 29-year old male. Fairly skinny so no obesity here. Stopped smoking 5 years ago and consume a moderate amount of alcohol. Not much to worry actually.
I'm playing tennis for 5 years now. Around 2-3 times a week in the spring till autumn and much less in the winter.

Alright here is the problem. I've always been worried about things like health problems, diseases and etc. 99.9% of the time Im fine though. But the one thing that has always scared me the most is that there is something wrong with my heart. Not really my heart in specific because I'm actually sure I can't have heart problems because of the simple facts that I've played vigirous tennis matches in the past and never had any heart disease symptoms whatsoever, but I'm just scared of the simple fact that this thing needs to keep pumping in order for me to live. I'm just scared that any moment something in my body breaks off, goes wrong, sends out a wrong signal, etc, and my heart stops beating. And that's it, I will slowly die. yes that thing needs to keep pumping. You and everyone else was designed to be able to endure a high heart rate for a quite a bit of time. The more you do it, the better your heart digs it. The only thing I would disagree with in this paragraph is about your concern about dying a slow death if your heart stops. That would be a quick death. Boom. Fear of death is often associated with health anxiety. Don't fear something that is unknown. May possibly the coolest thing that ever happens to us.

The thought alone makes me anxious. Now I did have some panic attacks over the last 2 years, and actually I'm slowly recovering from one I've had 6 weeks ago. I'm trying to to everything I can at the moment to lose my anxiety disorder. The problem is that over time I became even more scared of a heart attack that I'm not even looking forward to play tennis anymore. As you all know, exercise increases the heart rate and can bring on palpitations (feeling of heart beat without measuring it), shallow breathing, etc. And it is these sensations that I hate and I can't relax anymore whenever I feel them. The reason you can't relax its the symptoms you feel is that your anxious. Feeling the shallow breathing and fast heart causes concern. The concern gets scary when you feel the other physical symptoms, such as palpitation kick in. Often this is the point that the adrenaline dump occurs and people panic. Or if they understand that panic isn't harmful, they can dismiss it and move along

When I play a vigirous point in a tennis match and my heart rate increases and I feel it pounding, I feel very much unease and restless and can't really relax until the feeling passes. What makes me the most uncomfortable is the feeling that, during the time that my heart rate is up, I'm getting a heart attack. What makes matters worse is that I know, because I've read it, that the chance of a heart attack during is 3x greater during exercise. I know that exercise is healthy in general and will actually reduce the chance of heart problems in the future, but I just cannot feel at ease while my heart is pumping fast. the majority of people that have a heart attack during exercise have an underlying issue. Especially at your age. You should if you already haven't, get a full check up from your GP to eliminate any concern. After that treat all those thoughts as anxiety and not a real concern. Understand that anxiety is trying to trick you into believing you are in danger when you are not.

Unfortunately, tennis was my biggest hobby and it is also a very healthy thing to do so I want to keep doing it and look forward doing it. Any advice? Anyone in the same boat? How do you get over the fear of a heart attack while your heart is racing?advice is to keep playing. Even harder than you have. Your fear will only ease when you unserstand that your own anxious thoughts, not your true thoughts are dictating your reaction to things. I suppose the question would be, how many times do you have to play tennis, get your heart rate up, get concerned then nothing happens before you understand that it is just a false signal of anxiety?

Bonus question: Do you also feel your heart beating (without touching with your hands or measuring) after a short fast burst of exercise? Is that normal? Yes. All the time and I have gotten passed my anxiety issues years ago. Anxious people monitor their body constantly. New are way in tune to the thumps and bumps most would not notice. But trust me, they are the same things in everyone
Bonus question 2: Does the chance of a heart attack increase while one is doings vigirous sports for like 1-2 hours? How long can a heart rate be up (to lets say 150 bpm average) without any problems?you stumped me here. I Don't know but people run marathons all the time and that is a constant high heart rate without a break for hours. I say you are safe playing tennis

Stab
01-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks h_rock for your post. Thank you very much.

I understand everything you're saying and deep down inside i know it's true. I'm just worried and worried even further about my mind. Sometimes I'm scared that just by thinking about the fact that I might get a heart attack, I might even make myself have a heart attack. I'm not 100% sure that's even possible, but I do know that there are people (probably monks or people who are good at meditation) who can stop their own heart temporarily with their mind. And I just can't get these thoughts out of my head when my heart is pounding. I say to myself 'shut up, this is normal' but at the same time I feel restless and am plagued with thoughts like these.

I know that someday I will get over this shit. And I will keep pushing myself to go to tennis / sports. But I have been plagued by these feelings / thoughts for a long time and some periods are worse than others. Now I'm having the worst period actually. Just wish I could make myself shut the fuck up sometimes and enjoy life.

Stab
01-22-2015, 04:27 PM
Thanks Nixonrulz. You're response is logic in it's purest form. And you are right. And actually, I know these things. And I tell myself these things.

This summer I had a tennis tournament in which I played 4 matches in 1 weekend. It was extremely hot and humid weather. I slept extremely bad and even drank some beers the night before the final. The final was a 2.5 hour intensive match. Luckily, I felt psychologically good that day and was not bothered by anxiety. I gave it all. Afterwards I even said to myself 'remind yourself this day when you feel scared in the future'.
Nobody with a heart problem can do what I did that weekend. I was devestated after the last match, but 1 hour later after a shower I felt perfectly fine and fit again. In other words, I don't need a checkup. I know I'm fine.

But at those moments of anxiety, when my heart is beating, sometimes it takes me over. Also, I'm not so much scared that there is anything wrong with my heart itself, but moreso that I will put it into overdrive and thus put myself at risk with my stupid thinking. Last but not least, I don't dare to push myself to to the max sometimes. I've even lost points in games because I thought my heart was already pumping too hard and I stopped chasing a difficult to reach ball at the other side of the court.
I hate myself for this, but it illustrates how fear is running my life.

I just finished reading 'Panick Away'. Good book, lots of truth's in there. Also taking magnesium & vitamin D tablets now. Tomorrow I will go play tennis again. Hopefully I can one day convince myself for once and for all that I can exercise to the max for hours on end without any problem.