PDA

View Full Version : Questions about prozac

lexi3309
01-12-2015, 09:22 AM
My doctor prescribed me prozac a couple weeks ago and I noticed an increase in my anxiety throughout the day. I did some research and found that this was common. I haven't spoken with my doctor yet but I haven't taken my prozac in 2 days because I just couldn't handle the feelings anymore. I feel like it was making me worse and I haven't been able to sleep, I've lost my appetite and interest in the most common, important things like hygiene and playing with my children. Things that the prozac is supposed to help but isn't. I just feel extremely hopeless about this whole thing. I just want it to go away and no matter how much I tell myself it's all in my head, my head won't stop and the health anxiety won't go away. I want to try and over come this without medicine but at this point, I just don't now if I am capable of doing that on my own.

Ambition
01-13-2015, 12:30 PM
My doctor prescribed me prozac a couple weeks ago and I noticed an increase in my anxiety throughout the day. I did some research and found that this was common. I haven't spoken with my doctor yet but I haven't taken my prozac in 2 days because I just couldn't handle the feelings anymore. I feel like it was making me worse and I haven't been able to sleep, I've lost my appetite and interest in the most common, important things like hygiene and playing with my children. Things that the prozac is supposed to help but isn't. I just feel extremely hopeless about this whole thing. I just want it to go away and no matter how much I tell myself it's all in my head, my head won't stop and the health anxiety won't go away. I want to try and over come this without medicine but at this point, I just don't now if I am capable of doing that on my own.

Firstly don't do meds on their own! They should be combined with CBT to get the most benefit and ask for the lowest dose possible to begin with.

Unfortunately its true that Prozac and other SRI/SSRI anti depressants make you feel much worse at the start and the bad side effects can last up to 6 weeks :(

These Meds are crazy! Imagine having extremely painful back pain and the doctor prescribing you a pain killer which makes the pain and suffering far worse over the next 6 weeks? So bad you can't move and do physiotherapy. Its madness but no drug company would evert develop a painkiller that for a time makes your pain worse! Yet it seems ok to sell meds that make your anxiety/ mental pain far worse.

Some people may have to quit CBT during the early stages of Prozac treatment as it just makes their anxiety worse and dulls the mind to the extent that they may do well in an exposure exercise but not feel rewarded.

The problem is little research has been done to find much more friendly anti-anxiety drugs. Mental health drug research gets far far less funding than cancer research. There are few choices, drugs with side effects like Prozac or highly addictive, potent and potentially dangerous benzo diazepines.

In my option CBT on its own is far better but if you want meds then you should agree a program with your doctor and therapist that will combine low dose meds with your CBT therapy.

Kixxi
01-13-2015, 12:46 PM
I agree with ambition. I was on meds for seven years and it eventually came back with a vengeance.
Also, it is quite normal to have elevated anxiety when you just start your meds, it can last for a few weeks until they really start kicking in.

Two One
01-13-2015, 02:44 PM
It's very common for SSRIs to cause an increase in anxiety upon starting them. They will make you feel a lot worse at first, but hopefully in the end you will benefit from taking it. I tried SSRIs but I decided they weren't worth how awful and lifeless they made me feel at first along with all of the side effects. You should talk to your psychiatrist about a short term course of a benzodiazepine to use to get you through the initial flare up.

Ponder
01-13-2015, 03:39 PM
I'm going one further by saying, that in time you will also want to be free from the rigmarole of CBT. Both meds and CBT are considered "Short Term"fixes. Google CBT. Of course that is not to say that both "aids" do not help. The later of the two is especially helpful and has many advocates, however just as with an X alcoholic clinging to groups and therapy, one can become addicted to yet another "reliance" that can fall into a victim mentality.

CBT:
http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Pros and Cons of CBT:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Advantages.aspx

I find both meds and CBT to be both short terms copping mechanisms ... but agree that when used together, can give one the space they need to let go -> of those unresolved issues which is not the focus of CBT. I think people need to be clear on that. Great for people who have Not been traumatized and Do Not carry deep seeded fear and resentment. Those type of people require something a little more confronting than just your average copping strategies and just as with CBT - the effort and length of time you spend practicing - but more a term that describes "letting go".

Long term use of meds will actually make you both worse, mentally and physical - Whilst CBT like Medication has a huge fan base, it too can actually help to further deepen unresolved issues, like someone swapping out one quick fix for another. Try both strategies together with an intent to be rid of both is my recommendation. Don't become a CBT Fan the same way an Alcoholic who never takes another drink, still calls themselves an Alcoholic. You'll just wind up victimizing yourself and still be reliant on short term fixes to get from one day to the next, or like some one that has to keep tapping and repeating affirmations for the rest of their life.

If your still in need of all these Medications, Therapists, Concepts, theories and Doctors many years down the track ... don't worry ... your body and mind will eventually see it all for what it is. Some people need that kind of rock bottom and with so many quick fixes ... more people seem to be arriving in such a place in order to see. But it's usually too late for many by then.

Don't let these aids control you is all I am saying. Pay attention to the fine print and warnings so typically that goes unread. Remember the goal is to become free from the suffering, not reliant on some pill or repetitive copy technique that keeps people clinging to said conditions.

PS - be very careful about advice in running to a doctor of any kind ... they are not what they seem to be. It's all consumerized and money matters far more than the care they are suppose to provide. Anyone who is serious about getting better can do a better job using the web ... then go and tell the doctors what YOU WANT ... until you get one that listens! Treat yourself - Use the doctors ... there are simply too many bad doctors out there with their own issues ... don't be treated like a number! Use them, don't let them use you! When you have lived longer than 25 years - you will no well this imperfect world as it be.

Ambition
01-14-2015, 07:35 AM
I'm going one further by saying, that in time you will also want to be free from the rigmarole of CBT. Both meds and CBT are considered "Short Term"fixes. Google CBT. Of course that is not to say that both "aids" do not help. The later of the two is especially helpful and has many advocates, however just as with an X alcoholic clinging to groups and therapy, one can become addicted to yet another "reliance" that can fall into a victim mentality.

CBT:

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Introduction.aspx

Pros and Cons of CBT:
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Cognitive-behavioural-therapy/Pages/Advantages.aspx

I find both meds and CBT to be both short terms copping mechanisms ... but agree that when used together, can give one the space they need to let go -> of those unresolved issues which is not the focus of CBT. I think people need to be clear on that. Great for people who have Not been traumatized and Do Not carry deep seeded fear and resentment. Those type of people require something a little more confronting than just your average copping strategies and just as with CBT - the effort and length of time you spend practicing - but more a term that describes "letting go".

Long term use of meds will actually make you both worse, mentally and physical - Whilst CBT like Medication has a huge fan base, it too can actually help to further deepen unresolved issues, like someone swapping out one quick fix for another. Try both strategies together with an intent to be rid of both is my recommendation. Don't become a CBT Fan the same way an Alcoholic who never takes another drink, still calls themselves an Alcoholic. You'll just wind up victimizing yourself and still be reliant on short term fixes to get from one day to the next, or like some one that has to keep tapping and repeating affirmations for the rest of their life.

If your still in need of all these Medications, Therapists, Concepts, theories and Doctors many years down the track ... don't worry ... your body and mind will eventually see it all for what it is. Some people need that kind of rock bottom and with so many quick fixes ... more people seem to be arriving in such a place in order to see. But it's usually too late for many by then.

Don't let these aids control you is all I am saying. Pay attention to the fine print and warnings so typically that goes unread. Remember the goal is to become free from the suffering, not reliant on some pill or repetitive copy technique that keeps people clinging to said conditions.

PS - be very careful about advice in running to a doctor of any kind ... they are not what they seem to be. It's all consumerized and money matters far more than the care they are suppose to provide. Anyone who is serious about getting better can do a better job using the web ... then go and tell the doctors what YOU WANT ... until you get one that listens! Treat yourself - Use the doctors ... there are simply too many bad doctors out there with their own issues ... don't be treated like a number! Use them, don't let them use you! When you have lived longer than 25 years - you will no well this imperfect world as it be.

I first had anxiety many years ago in my teens. It wasn't as bad as now. My fear then was hospitals, collapsing or fainting in the street etc. However one year I had to have surgery on my knee, General anaestetic etc I was in hospital 2 half days and actually enjoyed it. After that my fear of hospitals etc declined so much my anxiety in general went away. Later that year I had my appendix out after it perforated, I was in hospital for over a week on morphine and all sorts. In a weird way I enjoyed my stay in hospital all the attention etc. After that my fear of hospitals, fainting ambulances etc was non existent. I knew if I fainted, the worst that would happen is I'd end up in that nice hospital :) When you think like that you no longer fear the outcome especially if you relish the outcome that was once so terrifying! Result is anxiety vanished and it did vanish for over 20 years!!! All that had happened is my perception to fear had changed that's all. I guess that's a bit how CBT works.

However after my fears of fainting etc went away in my teens it was replaced with OCD. Obsessive hand washing, fearing I'd contaminate food, checking doors are locked about 20 times, washing cutlery several times fearing that it could be contaminated with botulism etc. OCD was an in convenience but I could handle it. And far far preferred it from my fears of fainting etc. I eventually got over the OCD after about 2 years on my own without any therapy or even my doctor knowing. :)

lexi3309
01-14-2015, 08:48 AM

I am definitely becoming reliant on the xanax only because it works almost immediately. The prozac I have been hesitant about because of the obvious side effects. I stopped taking the prozac for a couple days and started back up again which I know isn't healthy. My doctor isn't the best to get in touch with. I have my first appointment with a psychologist on friday so hopefully she will be able to sort my problems out and maybe even decide I can get through this without meds because honestly, I feel like I have anxiety about just the medicine itself and whether or not I'm going to wake up wanting to throw myself off a bridge. I don't want to take medicine but I had tried for 2 months to get a handle on my anxiety by myself, but nothing was working. I just felt like that was my only option. Now after finding this website and hearing so many success stories of people over coming it on their own or with a more natural substance, gives me so much hope that I don't need medicine. Thank you for your input. I know you probably can't answer this because you're not a doctor but do you think I should stop taking the prozac? I know usually you have to slowly stop taking medicines like that but I've only been taking it for about 2 weeks or so...and then of course, the other day I had skipped two days and then started back up. Now I take it at the same time every day, hoping that will help reduce side effects and help it work faster.