PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram withdrawal

TW4569
01-01-2015, 07:43 PM
I recently weaned off of Citalopram (with doctor's guidance) after taking 20mg daily for about 4 years. I did a pretty quick wean; I went from 20mg daily, to 10mg daily for a week, to 10mg every other day for a week, then none. My last dose was 12/25. I'm pretty sure I'm experiencing withdrawals. I've been pretty irritable, I feel jittery and tense at times, and at night I have symptoms that are similar to the anxiety symptoms I was taking the medication for in the first place (pounding heart, feeling of having a big rubber band around my ribcage). How long does this last? Can ending medication cause anxiety symptoms to 'come back with a vengeance' until the levels of various chemicals in the brain level out?

JustaGal
01-01-2015, 10:32 PM
" 'come back with a vengeance" Yes, it can. Some people survive it and some go back on meds. Depends on how much you can tolerate it.....

TW4569
01-01-2015, 11:01 PM
" 'come back with a vengeance" Yes, it can. Some people survive it and some go back on meds. Depends on how much you can tolerate it.....
Good to know. I find it more annoying than anything. It's like, "I'd really like to go to sleep right now because it's getting light out and I'd like to wake up before 3, but of course my stupid heart has to go and try to beat itself out of my chest." Ditto for the withdrawals, I'd like to be able to have someone ask me what I want for dinner without wanting to flip my desk over.

I've seen estimates ranging from several days to several months when it comes to the length of withdrawal symptoms, depending on which medication you were taking, how much, and for how long. Any former long-term Citalopram users able to share their quitting experiences?

TW4569
01-04-2015, 02:32 AM
The last couple days have been better. Two nights in a row I haven't had heart palpitations or breathing issues and the irritability is easing up.

I still have this 'tense' feeling that I can't fully describe. It's not constant, but if my mind isn't engaged it starts to happen. It's like, my joints feel 'funny', until I flex or rotate that joint. Ankles, knees, elbows, wrists, and finger joints.