PDA

View Full Version : I am afraid of taking medication

intentus18
07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
Hi everyone. I am a 18 year old female who was diagnose with anxiety and mild depression. I was a freshman at an Ivy league school and started having panic attacks and had trouble concentrating and paying attention in class because of my anxiety. I would stay up for 30+ hours despite refraining from caffeinated beverages because I could not fall asleep. My mind would never be at ease and could not stop thinking. I would think about school (i.e. assignments that i need to do, exams) , my family, or random thinks like the how bad the economy is. I would even do math problems in my head. I had really irrational fears like if I failed a class, i would automatically get kicked out and that I would be working at McDonald's for the rest of my life. I would cry and have panic attacks that would trigger my asthma. I could feel my heart beating rapidly, feel the adrenaline rushing through my body and was tense all the time. I would have a lot of extra energy and be could not stay still. I also developed anxiety when I speaking to people especially when I am speaking to people about my anxiety. Sometimes i stutter or repeat words over. I never use to do this.

I started going to therapy at the school's Counseling and Psychological center. My therapist suggested that I should exercise and create a bed time routine to help me sleep. I tried it and it worked. I didn't do too bad in school but my irrational fear of what people thought of me (i.e. my professor would think my essay was sh*tty, or she thinks im stupid) took over. The panic attacks got worst and i decided to take leave of absence. Its been over two months since i left school. I still can't fall sleep and develop a small fear of going outside because I am afraid I will encounter my friends from high school and other people that I know and that they would think less of me because am taking a medical leave. I know this isn't entirely true but i can't help thinking like this. My new therapist gave me the is book called "Feeling Good" by David D. Burns and suggested that i should go to a psychiatrist to get a consultation. I told her that if a eat better foods, create a bedtime routine and exercise (yoga), with the combination of therapy, I would get better. But, she thinks it would help me with my lack of motivation and get rid of the symptoms so that I could start my making my life style changes. I'm really afraid of taking medication which is making me more anxious because of the risk of being dependent and side effects but I just had a panic attack today and I really want to get better. What are the pros and cons for taking medication for anxiety? What is the average amount of time that people take anti-anxiety/anti-depression medication? Are their other alternatives? I am still fairly new with dealing with this so any feedback is welcome.

sarrah
07-16-2008, 06:58 PM
I have the same fear as you and while I am waiting for my intake appt I am researching the different drugs used and will walk into the doctors office with what I am comfortable with and with the reasons I am comfortable with taking so that if he offers or suggests something else I can compare it to the list of what makes the med be in the "safe" list.

As for herbals, I live off of chamomile tea and ginger tea. There are a lot of herbals out there that can really help but research them and then go speak with someone with extensive knowledge of them. See if you can find a certified Apothicary in your area. They are basically herbal pharmacists but be wary of those who sell only a certain brand and don't have any of the fresh herbs on hand. Another place is your local hippy store like Wild Oats. They have a huge homeopathic session and while the staff are not experts, I have found they tend to have a better idea then your average person. Please also keep in mind that certain things cannot go together such as any benzo's and kava kava due to the possible reactions and cns depressing effects.

Sorry for the novel...

Robbed
07-16-2008, 06:59 PM
The fact of the matter is that your fears of medications are not unfounded. Although I have never taken antidepressants (which is certainly what you would be prescribed), I know (and have known) LOTS of people who HAVE. And I can't really say that I have known ANYONE who has had a REALLY positive experience with antidepressants (and by positive, I mean VERY significant relief with few or no side effects). I think it is safe to say that medication is probably NOT going to make you feel completely good again. It could possibly help you somewhat. But how much (and at what cost in terms of side effects) is impossible to say. Just keep in mind that your therapist and psychiatrist will tell you EVERYTHING they can to make you believe that side effects are a non-issue (and they AREN'T a non-issue). Dependence is also an issue - especially for SSRIs (although your therapist and psychiatrist will do their VERY best to convince you that this is not an issue as well). I personally would refrain from taking medications - especially this early in the game (as far as your anxiety goes). As for your therapist, let her know how you feel about medication. Given my experience with therapists, your therapist may not have too much respect for your decision NOT to take medication. But if things get too bad, you can always try seeing someone else (and asking how they feel about NOT taking medication before seeing them might not be a bad idea).

As for what you should do now, the best thing to do is practice acceptance with regards to your symptoms. Accept that, for the time being, you have anxiety disorder. And accept that you are going to have uncomfortable and scary symptoms. But also accept that these symptoms are not, in and of themselves harmful. And that they are TEMPORARY. This last point is important. ESPECIALLY since SO many doctors, therapists, and psychiatrists would like you to believe that you have a genetic chemical imbalance of the brain that is not going away EVER.

You also need to take a look at what got you into this in the first place. Since it appears that you are just starting college, I am inclined to believe that this is why you are where you are (in terms of anxiety disorder). Given that you have fears about working in McDonalds for the rest of your life, I think that MAYBE you see getting an education as a 'do or die' thing. And THIS attitude causes IMMENSE stresses that lead to anxiety disorder for SO many incoming college students. MANY people feel this way because they have been 'programmed' like a computer to feel this way by parents. Although parents have the best of intentions when doing these sorts of things, they seldom see the REAL harm that it can actually do. What might help here to a LARGE degree is to know that MANY people live perfectly happily without college educations. And MANY people without college educations are actually VERY successful - more so than MANY people who HAVE graduated from college. Now I'm not telling you to go this route with your career. That is something for you to decide for yourself. BUT, by just knowing that completely failing in college (or not going in the first place) does NOT mean a miserable life, you will not have that fear holding you back if you DO decide to stick with college. Too bad most parents don't have the guts to teach this to their kids.

intentus18
07-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Thank you guys for your responses. I like my old therapist because he never mention medication and was really trying to get to the root of the problem. I told my new therapist that I was uncomfortable about taking medication. She said "No one is forcing you but you can talk to the psychiatrist see what he thinks." So I made an appointment but I honestly think that i can beat this without medication. I just have to adjust my way of thinking and figure out what triggers the attacks. Its just nice to know that I am not alone in this, that so many people suffer from anxiety and depression and that I am not some freak who has issues.

Robbed
07-17-2008, 03:59 AM
So I made an appointment but I honestly think that i can beat this without medication. I just have to adjust my way of thinking and figure out what triggers the attacks.

A couple of things to keep in mind here. First of all, if you see a psychiatrist and tell that psychiatrist that you have an anxiety problem, there is a 99.999999% chance that the psychiatrist WILL tell you that you NEED medication. This is, after all, their job. And the training they receive tells them that anxiety is a biological and genetic problem that can only be treated (and NEVER cured) with medication. SO keep this in mind if you still feel like you want to talk to a psychiatrist.

Also, try not to get too analytical about the 'cause' of your panic attacks. People can get SO tied up in this that it just makes things worse. And people can become SO stressed and hopeless when they cannot find an obvious 'cause' of their attacks. Therapists can make this problem MUCH worse by telling you that this is the ONLY way out of anxiety (is this starting to sound a little similar to what I said about parents and college?). The fact is that panic attacks can come on quite randomly when you have stress/anxiety problems. In most cases, it is simply better to accept them without reacting with fear (as best as you can), while letting them pass. Try not to overreact to attacks and live your life as best as you can.

intentus18
07-17-2008, 06:44 PM
Thanks Robbed 4 the advice.

danstelter
12-15-2008, 12:42 PM
FOLLOW YOUR THERAPIST'S ADVICE! Medication is not the final solution, but rather part of a whole. A multifaceted approach including exercise, dieting, bed time routine, counseling, and medication is much more effective than medication alone. Further, as you noted, medication can cause more bad than good, or good with a few catches. Further, medicaton's beneficial effects can wear off long-term (over a period of several years). So really, the best long-term approach is to use a multifaceted approach. I am currently on Lexapro, but long-term, I believe that I can reduce my anxiety level to the point where I can function just fine without the Lexapro. It is, however, very helpful at the present time. With medication, exercise caution, and remember that if you are not happy with its effects, you are your own boss and can stop taking the medication and try another one if you want to.

Robbed
12-15-2008, 02:50 PM
FOLLOW YOUR THERAPIST'S ADVICE!

On the other hand, I don't believe that we should be led to believe that we MUST take medication. Because sometimes it's better if we don't - it can save us ALOT of headaches. This is particularly true if you don't feel good about taking medication. Besides, MANY people have recovered from anxiety disorder without the help of pills. So don't feel coerced to take meds against your will just because your doctor/therapist says you need to. It's your body, not theirs.

danstelter
12-21-2008, 05:17 PM
FOLLOW YOUR THERAPIST'S ADVICE!

On the other hand, I don't believe that we should be led to believe that we MUST take medication. Because sometimes it's better if we don't - it can save us ALOT of headaches. This is particularly true if you don't feel good about taking medication. Besides, MANY people have recovered from anxiety disorder without the help of pills. So don't feel coerced to take meds against your will just because your doctor/therapist says you need to. It's your body, not theirs.

This is exactly true. For some people, and maybe even many others, medication does more harm than good. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it.

nycgirl120
01-04-2009, 03:42 PM
I feel the same way. My mom keeps telling me to take Zooloft cuz both her and my aunts (anxiety and depression run in my family) took it. But I am scared of having some bad allergic reaction or something on it. Also the side effects like the weight gain scare me. I guess it is vain but I used to have weight problems and now that I am skinny, I don't want to get fat again because of some medication.

So far I am trying the diet thing and vitamin supplements. I have decreased my caffeine intake but I know I should really go cold turkey on the caffeine and I am trying. Also I take vitamin B supplements and Omega 3, also eat a lot of mood boasting foods.

I have gotten a bit better but is is still a struggle and I am thinking of trying some meds. We will see what happens.

james007
01-06-2009, 05:50 PM
I feel the same way. My mom keeps telling me to take Zooloft cuz both her and my aunts (anxiety and depression run in my family) took it. But I am scared of having some bad allergic reaction or something on it. Also the side effects like the weight gain scare me. I guess it is vain but I used to have weight problems and now that I am skinny, I don't want to get fat again because of some medication.

So far I am trying the diet thing and vitamin supplements. I have decreased my caffeine intake but I know I should really go cold turkey on the caffeine and I am trying. Also I take vitamin B supplements and Omega 3, also eat a lot of mood boasting foods.

I have gotten a bit better but is is still a struggle and I am thinking of trying some meds. We will see what happens.

I would avoid the medications that cause weight gain because that may only add to you anxiety.

Giz
01-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Im going to totally agree with Robbed here-he is a guy who knows his stuff.

I was put on anti depressants when I was 20. Within a few months I had attempted suicide twice and was in danger of being committed. All because-SSRI's can induce feelings of suicide and/or violence. Theres a black box warning on them(or at least by law there should be). The black box warning only mentions adolescents, but it applies to adults too.

The second type of meds they put me on (after I flat out refused to take the first one anymore-they wanted me to stay on it and ride it out!!) well, the second one put me into medication induced mania. I couldnt eat for a month-only thing I could put in my mouth was water, I lost 3 stone, I could only sleep a maximum of 2 hours a night, I was hyper and acting completely loony.. For my 21st, noone was talking to me because I had gone so far off the wall. Then I came down with a crash and a bang and realised that my sex drive had completely disappeared.

I came off medication in february of last year-when they finally admitted to the whole world that anti depressants are a huge con and most people getting handed them every day should not be on them.

I now use food as my "medicine". I had a blood sugar imbalance and a higher need for B vitamins.. But that, I stress, was MY solution.. May I suggest before you go and talk to a psychiatrist that you speak to a fully qualified nutritional therapist and see what they suggest.

You said yourself, nutrition has helped you in the past, alongside exercise and therapy.. You know yourself better than any of us, any doctors or anyone else does. You know what works for you, so dont let someone try and tell you otherwise. After all, it is you who will either reap the rewards of following your own tried and tested ways, or suffer the side effects of medications that lets face it, have been scientifically proven to have little to no benefit.

sblzmd
01-18-2009, 05:54 AM
I'm at 20 year old girl and feel just like you. My doctor told me that anxiety is very common in girls our age.
I REFUSE to take medication. I got diagnosed with anxiety 2 years ago. I just try and deal with things on my own and I've improved so much. I used the Linden Method. It's helped a lot. i don't know if it's something you'd be interested in. Also chamomile tea and Bach Flower Rescue Remedy are two things that have improved my anxiety. Hope this helps. :)

Andy_20
02-18-2009, 08:31 PM
This is an interesting subject, I got prescribed Zoloft for my anxiety and depression but after taking it for 2 days I was feeling weird and stopped taking it. I haven't had it since, the side effects just put me off, there is a lot of common side effects and also rare side effects. I wouldn't want to risk having some of the bad side effects because of it, I am determined to beat this condition without tablets and I know I can do.

intentus18
04-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Since the last time i posted on this website, I have improved drastically. I didn't take medication and decided to find alternatives. I workout 6 days a week (strength training about 10-12 minutes a day), eat healthier foods & drink lots of water, created a sleep regimen and fall asleep around the same time and wake up around the same time everyday, meditate everyday-great for when i start to feel a little anxious, and do a little yoga. I still go to therapy once a week which helps alot.

I've also been reading some really good books like Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy by David D. Burns, M.D., a really great book that shows how to use cognitive techniques to deal with depression-- i recommend it. I read You Can Heal Your Life by Louise L. Hay. When I read this the first time I thought the author was crazy but i realized there was some truth to what she was saying. Now I'm reading Left to Tell by Immaculee Ilibagiza which about the author, a Tutsi lady who during the Rwandan genocide had to share small cramp secret bathroom with 7 other women for 3 months without moving while Hutus killers, seperated by a thin wall and a dresser that covered the door of the secret bathroom, were looking to kill her everyday. Her whole family was killed but she still had the heart to forgive the killers. It makes me believe that if she could survive that ordeal, I could survive depression and anxiety disorder.