PDA

View Full Version : ECG is it reliable?

Charles Price
12-04-2014, 03:35 PM
How reliable is an ECG for spotting undiagnosed heart conditions or any abnormalities? I have several 6 months ago and been giving all the clear, I plan to have another for some more reassurance, I have also had 2 doctors listen to my heart and with a stethoscope does that pick up on heart problems?

jjm2894
12-04-2014, 04:11 PM
Though I've never had an ECG personally, I've found that visiting the doctor and having tests conducted can be as detrimental as it is helpful. You have to learn to accept a doctor's opinion... which is indeed an exercise that takes some time and practice.

When I first experienced health anxiety several years ago, I started going to the doctor fairly regularly, with each new perceived "symptom." I came to rely on visiting the doctor as a crutch, and even then, I didn't always trust his diagnosis.

It took me about 10 trips to the doctor over the span of two or three months for the realization to hit me: doctors are thoroughly trained to spot anything fishy, and if they don't, you have to trust their assessment. Not to mention, they're legally bound to give you the most accurate diagnosis possible.

It's an amazing feeling of relief when you learn to accept doctors' diagnoses. Try and remember that they, not you, are the trained medical experts!

I hope this can be of some assistance to you. You just have to allow yourself the relief of believing in medical professionals. I would think that several ECGs and various doctors listening to your heart should assure you that if there was anything wrong, you'd know by now. :)