PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks - Can they come back? How do I deal with this?

AliasEQ
11-23-2014, 07:41 PM
So recently I've been getting panic attacks again. Yesterday I had my first one after almost 6 months. Does this mean that I really didn't get rid of them the first time but it was rather a temporary solution?

I have one atm as I'm writing this. I can of course control it much better than before, but I want/need to get rid of this completly. After giving it some thoughts, I realised I'm not afraid of the panic attack itself, but afraid of having a panic attack. I'm not afraid that I'm having a heart attack or that I'm going crazy. I'm just having a fear of having a panic attack. I always get them when I'm about to sleep, when I let my guard down. Question is, how do I deal with it? Any advice? Ideas?

Any help or advice is appreciated. I need to get rid of this shit!

Elias

Im-Suffering
11-23-2014, 07:49 PM
J
So recently I've been getting panic attacks again. Yesterday I had my first one after almost 6 months. Does this mean that I really didn't get rid of them the first time but it was rather a temporary solution?

I have one atm as I'm writing this. I can of course control it much better than before, but I want/need to get rid of this completly. After giving it some thoughts, I realised I'm not afraid of the panic attack itself, but afraid of having a panic attack. I'm not afraid that I'm having a heart attack or that I'm going crazy. I'm just having a fear of having a panic attack. I always get them when I'm about to sleep, when I let my guard down. Question is, how do I deal with it? Any advice? Ideas?

Any help or advice is appreciated. I need to get rid of this shit!

Elias

First, get clear. You are not afraid of having a panic attack. You are afraid of how you feel during an attack. And to an extent some time after. Learning to allow the symptoms of the attack and sit through them until the storm passes to a large extent helps restore balance and confidence in your own abilities. Returning a sense of some control. The first step.

So turn 'I need to get rid of this shit' (fight, frustrate), to ' i will allow and accept how I feel and see it through, understanding they are normal physiological responses given the conditions and stresses, I will not fight, I acquiesce , still, relaxing my body, breathe, and when finished, move on with what I was doing' (allow, accept, loosen the body,).

During an attack the breathe shortens and the muscles tense (rigid, stiff). So you focus on your breathe and drop the appendages or let loose the vice grip. Open the hands and let them drop. Let gravity pull all of you down as you let go.

You do all of this as the heart thumps, the head spins, the glands sweat, the stomach churns. You let your body throw every trick in the book at you, and yet you sit, still, loose, and accept. Soon you will stand up and continue with your day.

Accept panic, anxiety attacks willingly 'bring them on' as a way for you to practice all of this. Anxiety does not make you deficient, personality wise, or weak. It is just an aspect of who you are at the moment, and it is healable to the extent you accept, loosen, learn and practice.

AliasEQ
11-23-2014, 08:00 PM
First, get clear. You are not afraid of having a panic attack. You are afraid of how you feel during an attack. And to an extent some time after. Learning to allow the symptoms of the attack and sit through them until the storm passes to a large extent helps restore balance and confidence in your own abilities rather than thrown about by the storm.

Yes exactly, it's that feeling that I hate and the feeling I have for days after.

It's hard to sit through it because it hits me when I'm about to sleep. If I would get them in the morning, I'd easily control it. But thats why I don't get them in the morning.

Im-Suffering
11-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Yes exactly, it's that feeling that I hate and the feeling I have for days after.

It's hard to sit through it because it hits me when I'm about to sleep. If I would get them in the morning, I'd easily control it. But thats why I don't get them in the morning.

Yes. Stay in bed...... loosen the body, continue to loosen as you tense and flex. Breathe and regulate.... and LIE through it allowing it to throw all its energy at you. Sit, accept, allow, see it through... and then sleep..

By not fighting, the chemicals do not affect the muscles in such a way as to cause fatigue and residue for days after. Only fear upon fear(fear of how you feel, double fear, double chemicals, double duration, extended effects.)

In 20 minutes by not fighting, running around, the sweating will stop, the heart will return under 100BPM, the senses will clear, and you will feel the comfort of bed and relaxation in waves. You will have beaten that attack.

Now, as you show yourself you can beat the attacks, symbolically, you no longer need the attack. There will be setbacks because sensitized bodies do not need much stress to tumble over the edge, but, handle them the same way. You may never stop them fully, but, you will be able to live your life, and enjoy it.

Ok? Practice, practice, practice. And allow time.... again and again if necessary.

AliasEQ
11-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Yes. Stay in bed...... loosen the body, continue to loosen as you tense and flex. Breathe and regulate.... and LIE through it allowing it to throw all its energy at you. Sit, accept, allow, see it through... and then sleep..

By not fighting, the chemicals do not affect the muscles in such a way as to cause fatigue and residue for days after. Only fear upon fear(fear of how you feel, double fear, double chemicals, double duration, extended effects.)

Ok? Practice, practice, practice. And allow time.... again and again if necessary.

Thanks! This helps way more than you think. I guess I just have to accept the situation, that I'm having a panic attack. Really appreciate the help :)

AliasEQ
11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
J

First, get clear. You are not afraid of having a panic attack. You are afraid of how you feel during an attack. And to an extent some time after. Learning to allow the symptoms of the attack and sit through them until the storm passes to a large extent helps restore balance and confidence in your own abilities. Returning a sense of some control. The first step.

So turn 'I need to get rid of this shit' (fight, frustrate), to ' i will allow and accept how I feel and see it through, understanding they are normal physiological responses given the conditions and stresses, I will not fight, I acquiesce , still, relaxing my body, breathe, and when finished, move on with what I was doing' (allow, accept, loosen the body,).

During an attack the breathe shortens and the muscles tense (rigid, stiff). So you focus on your breathe and drop the appendages or let loose the vice grip. Open the hands and let them drop. Let gravity pull all of you down as you let go.

You do all of this as the heart thumps, the head spins, the glands sweat, the stomach churns. You let your body throw every trick in the book at you, and yet you sit, still, loose, and accept. Soon you will stand up and continue with your day.

Accept panic, anxiety attacks willingly 'bring them on' as a way for you to practice all of this. Anxiety does not make you deficient, personality wise, or weak. It is just an aspect of who you are at the moment, and it is healable to the extent you accept, loosen, learn and practice.

This is really good information. Are you a therapist? or psychiatrist?

Im-Suffering
11-23-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks! This helps way more than you think. I guess I just have to accept the situation, that I'm having a panic attack. Really appreciate the help :)

Exactly... not an easy task, for sure, but with practice you'll see. Panic doesn't define you, it is just something to deal with, like any problem. Just work at a solution you see. No shame, no guilt, and no frustration. Be good to yourself.

Bless you. I am glad our paths crossed tonight. Heres to a happy relaxing, rejuvinating sleep !

Im-Suffering
11-23-2014, 08:32 PM
This is really good information. Are you a therapist? or psychiatrist?nope, just passing by and we happen to meet :)