PDA

View Full Version : Does exercise really help reduce anxiety and panic?

Ambition
10-27-2014, 01:32 PM
I have read and heard that running helps reduce anxiety and depression. But if you suffer social anxiety or agoraphobia then thought of going to a running club would be the perfect idea of hell.

But does it work so well with anxiety and what if you don't have the confidence or ability to get to a running club? If you do go is it a good idea to tell them you're prone to panic attacks?

Also if you suffer health anxiety you may be concerned that a run could cause a heart attack.

I can see long term advantage in that it will be hell at first but gradually get easier as you face your anxiety and start to enjoy running. And that eventually it will make every day panic provoking things like going into town easy. Does it really work this way?

raggamuffin
10-27-2014, 01:51 PM
I bought a bike. Just go cycling. it helped for me. But a good diet helps a lot too. I changed my diet nearly 2 months ago. Cut out 90% of the processed food I ate. 8-10 veg servings a day, a couple of fruit and lean meats and whole grains. it reduced my anxiety greatly in a matter of days. Paired with 4+ ours exercise a week and I noticed a difference.

Ed

Ryker
10-27-2014, 03:03 PM
Yes, regular exercise works for me and without it I wouldn't be able to cope. I've never managed (many times tried!) to keep going to a gym as the situation makes it just that little bit too stressful. So I built my own gym at home. This works for me well.

I started seeing an excellent personal trainer many years ago when I started exercising regularly. She was absolutely brilliant and we discussed my agoraphobia and she arranged sessions in the local gym at first either before they opened or after they'd shut. We extended that to running outdoors at night, then during the day.

If you're an agoraphobia sufferer like me you do have to keep up the work, you have to keep pushing yourself to go out, go further, stay longer, and ultimately be prepared to be uncomfortable for as long as it takes and a commitment to anything that takes you out is a good thing.

Ambition
10-27-2014, 06:57 PM
I bought a bike. Just go cycling. it helped for me. But a good diet helps a lot too. I changed my diet nearly 2 months ago. Cut out 90% of the processed food I ate. 8-10 veg servings a day, a couple of fruit and lean meats and whole grains. it reduced my anxiety greatly in a matter of days. Paired with 4+ ours exercise a week and I noticed a difference.

Ed

I admit I eat too much fried salty foods and meat, such as fried chicken and little fruit or fresh greens. Is it true that reducing fat rich, salty foods and eating lots more fruit and greens can reduce anxiety? I enjoy melon, kiwis, broccoli etc.

gypsylee
10-28-2014, 07:31 AM
I got an exercise bike because my area sucks to go running or walking in. But if your area is nice running would be a great thing to do for anxiety. I think it's been proven that exercise helps with anxiety and depression.

I also do it for self confidence in how I look, which makes it easier to go out in public.

Good luck :)

raggamuffin
10-29-2014, 01:51 AM
Well I had 24/7 anxiety pains for nearly 4.5 years. Once I changed my diet and cut out 90% of processed foods the pains reduced by about 80% within 3 days and haven't come back to the extent they used to ever since. So it's definitely worth considering. A healthy diet isn't so expensive either. You can buy frozen fruit and most importantly frozen veg. Along with frozen lean meat such as Tuna or Salmon steaks.

Ed

h_rock
10-29-2014, 03:06 AM
I'm the same as Ryker, exercise was a huge part of what made me feel better.

When you're really pushing yourself either running/gym/sport your mind becomes too distracted to think and worry, you also feel great afterwards too :)

I had some health anxiety at the time I started again, but strangely enough when my heart was racing afterwards my mind understood it was supposed to be pumping. Rather than before when it would race for no reason, so it actually felt good because of this too. I'm not sure everyone would be the same of course!

But if you can get some good strenuous exercise in to your weekly routine, then go for it.

Hugo

Ryker
10-29-2014, 10:30 AM
There's a good point there - hadn't thought about it. Doing some intensive CV does help you get used to the feeling of a high heart rate.

I don't have any particular health-anxiety issues but I admit that my heart rate monitor was, for a long time,my best friend. Often you'd think that you're at your limit and glance at the watch only to see 155. With the knowledge that there was some capacity available before redlining at 175-180 I would be able to do more and find more.

raggamuffin
10-29-2014, 11:49 AM
Exercise is a good way to purge the excess adrenaline caused by anxiety and the fight or flight response flooding your body and muscles with anxiety. However you can also get anxiety whilst exercising as your mind subconsciously associates the raised heart rate and breathing with a panic attack or some such and then the fight or flight response might kick in again.

I used to be in crippling constant pain whilst exercising for many months. These days i very rarely get anxiety pains whilst exercising.

Ed

h_rock
10-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Yes, that's a good point Ed. The first few times I started exercising again I did have those panicky feelings (almost forgot about them it was so long ago), but only mildly and it didn't last long.

Within a few sessions it was gone. I guess the best advice is to take it slow and find your level first.

Hugo

Exactice
10-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Hey Ambition, I was having a great conversation with another member here! This is the thing. I personally dont think exercise itself helps with the panic or anxiety. But I think the Distraction of doing something is what helps!

This is the funny part, I hope this doesnt work negatively but positively. When you exercise your body does exactly what happens like a panic attack. Your heart rate elevates, you get shots of adrenaline, you start to breath hard, you sweat etc. All the same symptoms as a panic attack right? How does your body know the difference? It doesnt. But your mind says I am exercising so your mind doesnt go into the wild rampage that it does during a panic attack.

My point is, your mind controls more of the attacks than you think, you need to just believe and "distract" yourself once in a while and it will get easier as you train your body not to freak out when those similar sensations kick in!

So yes exercise because its good for your health, but also exercise to train yourself to bypass those sensations that make you THINK you are having a panic attack for no reason!

Ritch
10-29-2014, 07:24 PM
I have a friend who is always banging on about this book http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spark-revolutionary-science-exercise-brain/dp/1849161577

I personally find that exercise has a massive effect on my mental well being.

Joe.
10-29-2014, 07:48 PM
I find it helps greatly. I used to hate exercise, but now I love it.
Mainly because I believe what it is doing to me is good.
It's therapeutic, in that sense.

1Bluerose68
10-29-2014, 08:44 PM
Well, I have "Agoraphobia" but I go for a Brisk walk nightly. Then if I walk fast I dont notice as many things that cause me anxiety. but if I think too much about what i plan to do, sometimes i just dont do it at all.

always_with_me
10-30-2014, 12:58 AM
It is funny how we fall back into panic/anxiety cycles. Well, sort of funny :) I've been in a rut now for about a month--maybe more--and I'm just now realizing that this roughly corresponds with decreases in physical activity--summer's ending--and my going back on something of a fast food diet. I mean, I try to be pretty good about the selections I'm making when I'm on the go, but I'm definitely not getting enough vegetables/fruit.

For the original poster, I guess I would suggest that you find something you really like to do, that perhaps doesn't really feel like exercise. I shoot hoops by myself a lot. Even half as* jogging around the court seems to help.

PanicCured
11-01-2014, 03:26 AM
Yoga, yoga, yoga and more yoga!

The main thing is exercise changes your body in a certain way that in turn helps anxiety. Increasing blood circulation throughout your body, pushing your heart and muscles to make you stronger, and the release of endorphins and other hormones that make you feel good. Yoga is not the only excericse you should do, but during anxiety yoga you should do 3-4 days a week! It increases blood circulation, mild cardio, helps release all tension, makes you more flexible and loose and it is super good for the mind. All that tensing up you do yoga releases! What;' great about a yoga class is you are in a room where people are usually super positive!

gypsylee
11-01-2014, 04:18 AM
Argh I wrote a reply on the webpage but I don't think it worked (the app is way better btw).

I basically said welcome back PanicCured :)