PDA

View Full Version : I'm at the end of my rope with stress and anxiety. Help.

pugsarecool
10-19-2014, 07:48 PM
Alright, so I'm 19, a full time college student, and I've been working 30 hours or more a week. The semester started a month and a half ago, and I turned in my updated schedule to work, and specified I could only work 20 hours a week maximum as I am a full time student now. They abided by this for about a week, then it was slowly raising to 22 or 23 hours. I thought maybe it's a busy week, they need the extra help, whatever. But by the start of October I was doing 28 to 30 hour weeks, when I'm hired as a part time employee and it's on my availability that I can only work 20 hours a week. Around when I started these work weeks, my classes started piling on the homework and I came down with 3 different illnesses (Which of course I had a lot of anxiety over) in the span of about a week. Not only that, all this added stress brought back my anxiety disorder and depression, which I was completely free of for about 10 months. So at this point, I have terrible anxiety, depression, I'm sick, loaded with homework, loaded with hours at work. Not to mention Type 1 Diabetes that I've had for 17 years, which is it's own beast. Of course, I started forgetting about assignments, and now I'm behind in classes. I worked my entire weekend away this weekend (usually the only days I get off in a week are Wednesday and Thursday, I have classes on both days and Thursday I have class til 5:30 PM anyway), 8 hours both days, and today, I was ready to snap. I work at a fast paced retail store with some of the worst customers ever, and I was honestly ready to let the F-bombs fly and punch somebody. I was honestly kinda scared of myself, I had never felt myself that angry before in my life. This one lady was so rude to me I was so close to flying off the handle and screaming at her.

I updated my schedule for work again yesterday, letting them know I can't work more than 20 hours in a week and cut my available hours on weekends. I still feel really fired up from today, just pissed off at the world. The whole time I was mad at work today I felt physically sick too, like I was going to throw up. I still have 2 weeks scheduled out at work that are both 30 hours, and I don't know how I'm going to do it. I'm so stressed I don't feel like I can even go back tomorrow, or at all. These customers are so rude, they think they're entitled to everything and are bullies. I worked at a different store for a year and a half before this, and while it had it's fair share of winners, I have never experienced the amount of ***holes any other time in my life than I do in just a 4 hour shift at this store. So you're probably thinking, why don't I just quit? I'd love to, but the remaining $1200 for this semester of college that needs to get paid off in the next month and a half isn't gonna go away on it's own magically (This has also been a major stressor). I'd call in tomorrow and take the day off, but I'm at about 5 absences now and I don't think it'd be a good idea to call in anymore, as I need the $ to pay for school. I'd appreciate any advice so much, my quality of life has gone down so much since college started, which I was excited for thinking it was a new beginning. I have to basically force myself out of bed in the morning, I'm always exhausted, relationships of mine are straining, I'm losing my temper easier every day and getting really angry, my anxiety is back, I feel depressed often, I just don't know what to do anymore. Even just sitting here my mind is racing, I feel dizzy and nauseous, I feel angry and like running a mile yet at the same time I feel 100% drained. My life is this terrible mess and it seems to only be spinning more and more out of control as each day goes by. Help

sharkybaits28
10-19-2014, 09:05 PM
wow that sounds really tough. I cant imagine what all that stress your going through must be like but at least theres a light at the end of the tunnel as soon as u pay off your college semester maybe then u can find a better job with people that treat u the way u should be treated. I really hope it works out for you.

pugsarecool
10-19-2014, 09:13 PM
Thank you. I'm thinking of going to the bank tomorrow and applying for a student loan that I could use to pay off this semester, biting my lip and getting through the next two weeks then quitting, so I'd have a little extra money while looking for a different job. It honestly seems like the only solution at this point, I'm so stressed and burnt out I just wanna smack my head into a wall.

sharkybaits28
10-19-2014, 09:18 PM
there ya go and after u tough out the next 2 weeks u can kisses that assholes goodbye ;)

1Bluerose68
10-19-2014, 09:31 PM
If this is your very 1st 4 years of college, couldn't you increase the money on your Pell Grant request per qtr or semester and just work as many hours as you can handle. See retail and many jobs will be flexible with the 16-17.5 y/o age employees. But once you reach 18 the laws of employment change and then they are not as flexible in the hours which they will provide for Your Work Convenience. You said you are 19 now right. So things change after age 18 with employment flex and HR managment. I worked in Retail all through my college days and always worked with a great retail employer. but my 1st retail job During college did not work out. I quit, worked in the summer teaching swimming, totally way different from retail, and i had a ball. Then come September I was ready for a bran spankin new retail job at the mall. And thank goodness I got one for 2 yrs in a row. Then the corporate took over and I moved on to work at another great store at the mall. Almost every job which I had during college was at my local mall. I was very happy working retail and attending college. But my schedule in college usually had between 12-16 units and no more than that per qtr. It all worked out for me. The best jobs during college are the ones where you may do your homework right at work. Say a dental office file clerk at night, or hygience appointment clerk, or a babysitter for an agency online where you work for yourself but the agency helps to set up their web site to help people like college students get great sitter jobs. Places like sittercity.com or care.com are both very good web sites in CA for college age students wanting to work w/ pet sitting, senior care or child care and also tutoring jobs. Remember to look Outside Your Box, and work in a place where you feel comfortable . In college its great to have a place where you are allowed to read your texts during down times, like when the phones aren't busy as say a CSR for an answering service or hospital lobby clerk, or anything that is flexible for you. If that 1st job doesn't work out just see if initially you could get a better Pell Grant Pkg, then go fishing for a better job once you are out of the last job and have your new grant increase in place....Just an idea...I understand in CA the Pell Grant is almost 4 free years of college. Doesn't sound like you have that grant for college?

pugsarecool
10-19-2014, 09:34 PM
No, I am paying for it almost all myself, I'm hoping I can get government financial aid next semester. Also I'm only going to technical college, for a two year degree.

1Bluerose68
10-19-2014, 09:38 PM
Go talk with a financial aid counselor immediately. Before going to The Bank. If it's your 1st 4 yrs of college there are supposed to be many financial aid packages available to you, some have Work Study included in the Grant, but then BINGO thats your new job.....Think your alternatives out 1st. Doing the Red Tape w/ your financial Aid dept may really be worth it, but you must see someone there immediately. See a regular counselor too about stress of school in general, and or call a crisis line if you feel any worse than this.

1Bluerose68
10-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Only, that's excellent for you. Hold your head up high and breath, count to 5, and keep marching on.....Don't give up. Someone will help you to see that there are more options, even for the 2 yr tech programs out there. You may have to do some research online to see what the gov is willing to help you with in that program. See if they have any Emergency assistance programs and how the Pell Grant may fit into even a 2 yr tech program. I think it still counts as a program receiving fin aid from the USA gov, but more specifically there are non profit groups out there awarding money to students in tech programs to. Like the CA Nurses Assoc for nurses to be in LVN programs, or Future Dental Lab Technicians then check with the CDA Scholarship funds.Those are just scholarship search engine examples, just keep searching on your time not at work or study and see what you can get w/o the banks loans....Usually very high percentage loans too. Unless its a credit union their college loans are like 25% interest rates.....