PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with anxiety

snowylilacsx
10-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Hi everyone...my name is Sam and I'm new to the forum. I've been dealing with anxiety for a while, and it has heightened since I got my job about a year ago. I've been completely weighed down by the effects of anxiety, and it's really dragging me into the dirt. I don't feel like myself anymore.

I've been having symptoms like:
-Pain in the back of the neck
-Heart palpitations
-Feeling like I can't breathe
-Concern for a blood clot in the leg/lungs
-Feeling like I'm having a heart attack
-Twitching
-Heartburn/acid reflux (don't know if that's related, really)
-Pain in my jaw
-Feeling like I am going to die

Here's my dilemma. I was smoking while taking birth control for about 4 years (I know it's not good, I don't need a lecture). I am pretty inactive, so that's what leads me to believe I have a blood clot. I went to an immediate care center about 6 months ago and got a contrast CT scan done, and it didn't show anything for a pulmonary embolism or anything like that. I am still really dealing with the issue of thinking I have a blood clot due to my poor life choices. If it helps, I'm 24 years old with no known health issues except for being overweight (oh, and I've gained 14 pounds in a month, that's not normal, is it?)

I just need some guidance and thoughts. What should I do? Therapy? Psychiatry? Drugs? I am completely lost and I feel sunk.

Thank you for reading ~

-Sam

Im-Suffering
10-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Hi everyone...my name is Sam and I'm new to the forum. I've been dealing with anxiety for a while, and it has heightened since I got my job about a year ago. I've been completely weighed down by the effects of anxiety, and it's really dragging me into the dirt. I don't feel like myself anymore.

-Heart palpitations
-Twitching
-Pain in my jaw

Here's my dilemma. I was smoking while taking birth control for about 4 years (I know it's not good, I don't need a lecture). I am pretty inactive, so that's what leads me to believe I have a blood clot. I went to an immediate care center about 6 months ago and got a contrast CT scan done, and it didn't show anything for a pulmonary embolism or anything like that. I am still really dealing with the issue of thinking I have a blood clot due to my poor life choices. If it helps, I'm 24 years old with no known health issues except for being overweight (oh, and I've gained 14 pounds in a month, that's not normal, is it?)

I just need some guidance and thoughts. What should I do? Therapy? Psychiatry? Drugs? I am completely lost and I feel sunk.

Thank you for reading ~

-Sam

Who was/is the dominant figure in your life as a child and even now? Who did you look up to the most/value their opinion/who was critical of your choices, and who do you ask for advice now? Are they nonjudgemental or do you feel you always make the wrong decisions in their eyes?

Maybe feeling you can not do anything right? Who makes you feel that way?

Elaborate a bit if you wish.

snowylilacsx
10-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Who was/is the dominant figure in your life as a child and even now? Who did you look up to the most/value their opinion/who was critical of your choices, and who do you ask for advice now? Are they nonjudgemental or do you feel you always make the wrong decisions in their eyes?

Maybe feeling you can not do anything right? Who makes you feel that way?

Elaborate a bit if you wish.

I don't really know. I think it was my father, who I still talk to. We still have a good rapport, but he isn't in my life every single day. I do feel like a failure most times, so I guess that could be part of the issue. I've blocked a lot of my childhood out due to unfavorable circumstances for the most part.

Im-Suffering
10-18-2014, 05:10 PM
I don't really know. I think it was my father, who I still talk to. We still have a good rapport, but he isn't in my life every single day. I do feel like a failure most times, so I guess that could be part of the issue. I've blocked a lot of my childhood out due to unfavorable circumstances for the most part.

Exactly. It could just as well be any illness, the mind conjured up the clot because it is symbolic of your repression. You hide your feelings, because you feel guilt and shame all related to failure. The clot is representative of your inability to express yourself, who you truly are. And in a sense finding yourself would be the equivalent of dissolving the clot.

Spiritually speaking you've got some soul work to heal. Instead of blocking, release it and feel it. The blocking acts upon the psyche to create outlets for release, and since the blocks are repressive they show in the imagination as a perceived illness to be worked out. It is easier for you to attack a clot as a problem then to look inside your own mind. So you create an enemy that you can face. Even if for example a clot was removed, if you had not healed emotionally first, you would face additional clots because the clot is not the problem, but the scapegoat.

The physical symptoms that you do feel as real, the palps, the stomach, those are the byproducts of the unresolved issues causing undue stress until you work them out. None are dire, just attention grabbers.

You've got to find yourself. Therapy can help. Do not let it go psychologically because that is where to look. The more you wait the more despondent and thus depression has a footing to enter. Nip it in the bud.

In your terms feeling "sunk" or a "failure" are one and the same and it is in those feelings you must look for the answers. "Why do I feel this way?"..not to try and pinpoint specific issues as poor life choices, but to find why the choices are made to begin with, you see. "Why am I a failure?" If I was told enough times I make poor choices I'd start believing them.

Do I make poor choices because im a failure? Or..
Am I a failure because I make poor choices?

Am I really in any control of my choices, even if they make me feel bad, because I'm a product of my conditioning and beliefs which cause me to react automatically.

Xploit85
10-18-2014, 05:27 PM

-Heart palpitations
-Twitching
-Pain in my jaw

Thank you for reading ~

-Sam

I have almost every symptom you've described. I've been checked out countless times by doctors and they say I have pure anxiety. Trust me, this is a terrible time in my life also. I've went to the ER thinking I had a blood clot, they almost laughed at me.

I've gotta figure out a way to get over this.

Im-Suffering
10-18-2014, 05:35 PM
I have almost every symptom you've described. I've been checked out countless times by doctors and they say I have pure anxiety. Trust me, this is a terrible time in my life also. I've went to the ER thinking I had a blood clot, they almost laughed at me.

I've gotta figure out a way to get over this.

Well then, you might try reading the posts inbetween the OP and your own, and understanding them.

snowylilacsx
10-18-2014, 06:16 PM
Well then, you might try reading the posts inbetween the OP and your own, and understanding them.

I agree I panic when I feel something that hurts me, however, I have some of the factors that lead to clotting. It gets in my head and doesn't leave. I'm overweight, I've smoked while taking birth control, I work in an office and work sitting down all the time. Hypothetically, can this be a medical issue?