PDA

View Full Version : What are racing thoughts like for you?

jiffnon
10-16-2014, 08:04 AM
I've never been sure if I experience racing thoughts or not. I often experience indistinct, background mind chatter when my mind isn't being stimulated by music or speech. Songs also tend to loop in my head constantly, and I often experience nonsense, seemingly independent thoughts streaming through my head during my half-asleep/awake state. However, I've never classified these as 'racing thoughts', more a product of an anxious, overtired mind. I've recently started Zoloft, and as somebody who fears psychosis etc my anxiety regarding this particular symptom has begun to flare up again. So I guess my question is how would YOU describe racing thoughts? Do mine sound like they fit the bill? RTs seem to be a very personal and individual experience rather than something that one can easily pin down.

superchick22684
10-16-2014, 09:58 PM
I don't know if it will help but most of my racing thoughts are usually negative and often have to do with things I'm worrying about. I also have low self esteem so at time I will be very critical of myself and negative thoughts will just start rushing through my head. The two things that have helped me the most are medication and therapy. Therapy has helped me acknowledge and recognize when the thoughts are happening and stop them before things get out of hand. The medication that I started on a few weeks ago has also helped quite a bit as well because I've noticed that I'm not having as many instances of racing thoughts.
As for whether what you are experiencing is racing thoughts, I'm not really an expert but it doesn't sound like psychosis to me. If you are concerned about it I would ask your doctor.