PDA

View Full Version : Well I made it. I moved country.

Irish Sammie
09-16-2014, 10:14 PM
And I have to say, I'm damn ****ing proud of myself. In the 16 hours of flight time it took me to get from Ireland to Vancouver I never once had a panic attack and even though I was nervous and anxious about having to go through immigration and the flights themselves, I managed it really well.

I had inderal in my bag but I never felt like I needed to take it. Today was the first day of my new job and I was an anxious wreak in the morning. By the end of the day I was a lot more calm. I don't know what it is, I can't quite put my finger on it but I feel different being out here than I was at home. I still have some constant symptoms but I notice them so much less being here.

I moved over here alone and I'm alone for quite a lot of the time here and I think I've been doing pretty well so far. I have less social phobia than I did before which makes it easier for me to get around. Perhaps it's because I know I HAVE to get things done in order for me to settle in that I can't think of anything else, thus not thinking introvertly.

I thought I'd give a little update to those who know me here. :)

JohnC
09-17-2014, 04:40 AM
Alright Irish!!! Glad for the update and it should or i hope it should just get better with time.

Enduronman
09-17-2014, 05:42 AM
Congratulations to you!
Wish you the best..

E-Man :)

Dahila
09-17-2014, 07:09 AM
sammy it is awesome, you had seen the difference, when I came here a lot of smiles welcomed me into country. Canadian smile a lot and are nice and polite to everyone. Most of them anyway. The air is clear and the sky is very high. It is young country and everything is kind of new. You survived so many hours in airplane without the meds, Congratulation!!!
I envy you all the places in VC you can eat an excellent chinese foods;))
Welcome to Canada:)

1Bluerose68
09-17-2014, 03:22 PM
what will you be doing in this new country of less anxiety? Was that the only job in your field? Or you really wanted to relocate anyhow? I always thought Ireland was such a beautiful country, chuck full of castles. With Halloween round the corner, that would be a perfect job for me. A tour guide for Haunted Irish Castles, ha???

1Bluerose68
09-17-2014, 03:24 PM
will you be there on a work visa for so many years until you may officially become a True Canadian Citizen? I am a dual citizen of America-Ireland. But I dont really know if that means that I could just go live there w/o a work visa?

1Bluerose68
09-17-2014, 03:25 PM
But I hate to think that, "The grass is Always greener on the other side." Then I would never put an end to that bottomless pit of being a Runaway...

Exactice
09-17-2014, 03:50 PM
Congrats buddy!!!!!! Huge step forward man!!!!

Dahila
09-17-2014, 08:22 PM
But I hate to think that, "The grass is Always greener on the other side." Then I would never put an end to that bottomless pit of being a Runaway...
Hi you seem a bit cynical Blue:)) BTW welcome to the forum :)

Irish Sammie
09-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Thank you for the positive replies guys, much appreciated.

Hi Bluerose, it's probably better to just edit your original post than to post multiple responses. I moved here on a 2 year working Visa, with the aim to apply for permanent residency after my first year. I wanted to move here for a few reasons, and when I got an amazing job at a highly reputable organisation, I just knew I had to get over here as soon as I could. The job is going to be very challenging, and it's going to be a high stress job unfortunately but what I do is quite stressful anyway so It's no surprise that my job will provide a lot of it.

I guess all I can do is manage how I deal with that stress and anxiety, because there really is no avoiding it!

Irish Sammie
09-17-2014, 08:39 PM
sammy it is awesome, you had seen the difference, when I came here a lot of smiles welcomed me into country. Canadian smile a lot and are nice and polite to everyone. Most of them anyway. The air is clear and the sky is very high. It is young country and everything is kind of new. You survived so many hours in airplane without the meds, Congratulation!!!
I envy you all the places in VC you can eat an excellent chinese foods;))
Welcome to Canada:)

Thank you Dahila! I've been eating Sushi pretty much every day here! :P

Dahila
09-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Sushiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii:)) I love sushi:)

1Bluerose68
09-26-2014, 10:22 AM
Is the company going to help you find a place to live there too? So is the job market in Ireland not doing to well for highly educated people like engineers and other trades? Or the country itself not warm enough? I hear its always raining there...

1Bluerose68
10-01-2014, 09:50 PM
How is that country better than Ireland? So far that you have seen?Nicer people?

Dahila
10-02-2014, 06:50 AM
Sam? you impression please :)

trinidiva
10-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Good for you! Canada is awesome and the people are very friendly.

Steven Miller
10-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Very happy 4 you!

I like to remind people to please not forget WHY you didn't feel anxious. It is because you invested a lot of time into it beforehand. Other people on this forum also invested their time into it. You worked through it and you prepared yourself and you had success.

Next time you are anxious about something, don't forget what you learned: With careful thought, you can overcome your anxiety. Don't expect to just magically get rid of it without putting time into the work. It takes work, good luck we are here to help.