PDA

View Full Version : Clonazepam ( Rivatril) Who has used this ????

Laura
12-02-2005, 02:25 PM
Hi Everyone

My Dr. has suggested I may have to take Clonazapam ( Rivatril) .
What can you tell me about it ??

Laura

shoe
12-02-2005, 03:21 PM
I take clonazepam pretty often, I was taking it every day but I sorta tapered down a little. Basically its usually recommended as a medication you take as-needed. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine, a muscle relaxant basically, and seems to take effect between 20 minutes to 2 hours after you swallow it depending on the person and probably whatever is in their stomach hehe. Its great for times when you know you are going to enter a very stressful situation, or for calming down from a panic attack.

Anyway, it is prety effective at relieving anxiety in my experience, with very little side effects (usually drowsiness if you take too much). I've had pretty good success with it, as well as alprazolam (Xanax), another benzodiazepine. The clonazepam for me has a longer life span and less of a noticeable affect as it leaves your system than xanax.

BTW, I've never heard of the marketing name Rivatril for clonazepam, I'm only familiar with the name Klonopin.

Anyway, here's a few links:

MedLine Plus Clonazepam Drug Information:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/medmaster/a682279.html
MedLine Plus Benzodiazepines information:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/uspdi/202084.html

Laura
12-02-2005, 07:32 PM
Thanks Shoe for your input. The only thing I am fearful of is benzos can become very addicting. I am currently taking ativan when needed which is also a benzo, but only when I absolutely need it. My Dr. did say today that clonazapam does have more lasting affect compared to Ativan. She feels at this time I am experiencing " Anniversary Anxiety ". Sounds funny but it is 3 years ago December 10th I got so sick , Soe I have to say it was hell on earth . Anyway I want to feel better but I am also scared. What do you think ?

shoe
12-03-2005, 01:00 AM
doctors will always tell you they are addicting. They have the potential to be, but i've never met someone suffering from anxiety that gets addicted to them. I've seen that they can become physically dependent on them, but thats true of any medications (including regular antidepressants). The thing doctors and psych's are worried about is your typical drug addicts. If you are prone to addiction then you might think twice about it. Otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned. I myself have never reached for an anxiety pill just because I feel compelled to get a 'high' from it. I've only used it to get relief from anxiety.

Bridgie
12-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Clonazipam is my life saver! I take one about once a week if I have to go somewhere, or if i know I am having company. It is the BEST! No ill side effects, no whacked out feeling, it just totally takes the anxiety away. It is an anti-seizure med and works great. I highly recommend it, and don't worry about being addicted if you only take it as needed.

For me it works in about 20 to 30 minutes.

BigSlim
12-05-2005, 01:36 AM
Hi There! I take Clonazepam everyday. .05 mg I just take it as a safety net. Like everyone else is saying it is usually recommended to use as needed. The reason I take it everyday is not because I'm addicted, I've gone months without using it. I just like to stick to routine things sometimes. It's what I'm comfortable with. I have no noticible side effects from it and I guess it's controlling the symptoms of anxiety because I don't even notice the symptoms anymore. Just FYI...

flower29
12-17-2005, 11:09 AM
i like ativan (lorenzapam) the best it calms you down right away but i usually have to take 4 miligrams for it to really work. But everybody is different. clonzepam doesn't have an effect on me at all it does not calm me down it is like I took advil or soemthing