PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and work

cindy_xox
07-31-2014, 11:27 AM
I would like to post this, because anxiety took a huge part in my life, and working seems so impossible at the moment.
I'd like to know, how do you live with anxiety and work? How do you deal with it ? We all need to work, but sometimes it becomes impossible.
When you're working and feel the anxiety rising, what do you do? What do you tell yourself ? Any advice ?
Thank you .

Kuma
07-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Hi Cindy. I guess for all of us it depends to some extent on how bad your anxiety is, how your anxiety tends to manifest itself, and what kind of work you do.

For me, I occasionally have to take a day off of work or come in late (though rarely), and sometimes at work I need to close my office door and forward my phone to voice mail for a half hour or so, because I don't feel like I can face anyone.

But, beyond that, I simply won't allow my anxiety to interfere with my job. I am married and have kids and I have a responsibility -- no matter how difficult it gets for me -- to provide for them. I will not allow my problem to become their problem. So I push forward.

I also have a pretty demanding, high-level professional job, with long hours and a lot of responsibility. That sometimes makes it harder. But in a way it also gives me more motivation -- because I think "I worked really hard to get where I am today, and I will not allow anxiety to interfere with what I have accomplished."

cindy_xox
07-31-2014, 01:51 PM
I gotta say that reading this really helped me. I know that it can't be perfect all day and that you won't get attacks anymore.
But it's nice to read that you don't let it get to you. I hope that when i'll find a job , i'll be able to tell my boss that sometimes I just need 2 minutes to breath. It's not something that I want to hide, you know ?
But it's a good thing that you don't let your problem become your family's problem.
Thank you for answering me.

Yazzy
07-31-2014, 02:11 PM
Hello,

For a start i think telling people at work helps a great deal. I always had time off as my anxiety attacks get pretty bad. i used to panic incase i would lose my job, so it was a vicious circle. Once i let my manager know what was happening he was very understanding. I was re-assured that i will not lose my job as anxiety comes under a 'mental health' act. Work now lets me have more breaks when i need to, so i am so glad i told them. At the moment i stay at work by taking Diazepam (Valium) when i feel an anxiety attack coming on. After taking one of those i am able to carry on working even though i am a little vacant. I know Valium isn't the way forward but i'd rather take one once in a while then to lose my job.
Are you doing any CBT/counselling at the moment?

Yasmine

cindy_xox
07-31-2014, 05:37 PM
Hey Yasmine , first thanks for taking the time to answer me.
I am not doing any CBT at the moment. I guess the thought of it is scaring me a little ( always thinking that they'll say your just crazy lol )
I'm sure that telling your boss is a great thing. It makes you feel less anxious to know that they know about your ''problems'' .
But what if they actually think that you're not good enough for the job because you have anxiety ?

Kixxi
07-31-2014, 06:05 PM
I would like to post this, because anxiety took a huge part in my life, and working seems so impossible at the moment.
I'd like to know, how do you live with anxiety and work? How do you deal with it ? We all need to work, but sometimes it becomes impossible.
When you're working and feel the anxiety rising, what do you do? What do you tell yourself ? Any advice ?
Thank you .

I agree with Yazzy. Telling people helps me to. Also my boss suffered from anxiety herself and she told me to pretend I'm floating. Which sort off took the pressure of. Unfortunately the only way to deal with it is to face it and god knows I know that is so terrifying. I currently work as a translator but luckily I can do it from home at the moment. I did a day as a careworker but the stress got to me after one day. Sad I know. But hell I did it without running away, so kudos to me.
However, I have to say working for myself made me feel a lot better about being me :)

cindy_xox
07-31-2014, 06:59 PM
I agree with Yazzy. Telling people helps me to. Also my boss suffered from anxiety herself and she told me to pretend I'm floating. Which sort off took the pressure of. Unfortunately the only way to deal with it is to face it and god knows I know that is so terrifying. I currently work as a translator but luckily I can do it from home at the moment. I did a day as a careworker but the stress got to me after one day. Sad I know. But hell I did it without running away, so kudos to me.
However, I have to say working for myself made me feel a lot better about being me :)

Thanks Kixxi !
It is indeed terrifying ! But I just hope it's like right before you go on a rollercoaster , you are scared but then when you step out of it you're like ''that's it ? Not as bad as it looks!'' .
I guess you never know before you try! I spent one day as a receptionist in a fastfood last year, and when I came back home, I was crying my eyes out. The day after, I was nearly crying in my moms arms saying I didn't want to go back. The other employees were putting so much stress on me, I had to answer the phone every 2 seconds. Way too much. Probably why i'm hesitant right now. I've become selective. But congradulation to you, you can work through it ! :)

Kixxi
07-31-2014, 07:36 PM
Hi Cindy,

Well I think it all comes down to doing something that you feel good doing. I always wanted to work for myself and not really have a boss. I can dictate what I do and nobody else :) But you can do anything really. Maybe try finding a peaceful environment to work in. Just out of the top of my head, a spa for example. (depending on how busy they get of course lol). Same as you I also cried my eyes out many times when dealing with stress and outside pressure. But ultimately, you have to focus on you :)

cindy_xox
07-31-2014, 09:27 PM
You're right about doing something that makes you feel good. I wouldn't see myself working in places real loud, like bars or concert venues. And for sure, no restaurants !
But i've worked in a supermarket back in 2010 , and even though rush moments were hard, I loved the job. So i'm considering it!
It's not always nice having a boss. But if they can understand you, it's perfect ! Last year I left school because my anxiety was too high, and the principal told me that if I needed a week, two weeks, a month, or just 2 days, to take the time I needed. I was scared when I went back a few months ago, and the first week was hell, but everyone were so nice and they gave me the ear I needed. It could be the same thing for a job. If you feel safe and understood, it could work. Now all I need is to do the first step.

Kixxi
07-31-2014, 11:18 PM
You'd be surprise just how many people have struggled with anxiety. I was shocked when 3 people in the place I worked at had an anxiety disorder at one point! The first step is always the hardest and it can feel a bit uncomfortable at first, but the achievement afterwards is a proud moment that will stay with you for a long time :)

BrookeLynnnn
07-31-2014, 11:47 PM
This was a huge thing for me. I had panic attacks at work & at that point, I didn't know much about them. So I went on disability for a while & then decided to quit that job & find a different one. Less stressful.. Well after a few months at the new one, anxiety spiked again.. I ended up going back to my old job & got on meds.. Work is sometimes a trigger but when I feel the anxiety rise, I just remind myself that if I panic, so what? It's happened before & I got through it. I tell myself that & it calms me down. I haven't had high anxiety or a panic attack since being back. I also have back up xanax so I remind myself that if I do panic & can't control it, I can always take one.

BrookeLynnnn
07-31-2014, 11:49 PM
& also I agree with Yazzy. Telling people at work is a huge weight off your shoulders!! You'd be surprised how many people deal with anxiety too & just don't share! Everyone at my work knows. It makes it so much easier.

cindy_xox
08-01-2014, 08:52 AM
Well thanks girls ! It's true that we often forgot about people around us. Who dealt with anxiety in the past.

Ankhsious
08-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Work can bring you down but work can also liberate you by giving an outlet for social contact, purpose, and creativity.

It's all about finding/creating an environment that clicks with you.