PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like anxiety? what can I do to fix it?

uaware
06-18-2014, 01:25 PM
I usually get very anxious when dealing with "trauma" situations (big or small). I dont mind blood so thats not what is bothering me. heres a couple examples. I go on ride alongs with my local police force quite often. At a sudden death call (the women had already passed away and was just found) I was fine because it was calm and not so much traumatic because she had already passed (the family was also very calm with the situation) however I am a security guard and and whenever something happens (as simple as a women not feeling well that I have to tend to) i get very anxious and a million thoughts start rushing through my head. Incidents like this are hit and miss though because sometime I react fine and sometimes it really bothers me.

Im not sure what to do about this. It is really starting to bother me.
My dream is to become a police officer and I honestly do believe that this is minor enough that once I get it under control I will be one hundred percent capable. I dont want a police force looking at my medical record and having a bias towards an anxiety medication..

Fourteen14
06-18-2014, 02:22 PM
Being anxious in a trauma situation comes naturally to most people.

Unless it's constant anxiety that disrupts your everyday life, I would say on a personal level that it's simply a habit you have formed when faced with a particular situation.

If it is happening only in certain situations it's most likely not a disorder, and more the body kicking out a little too much juice :)

You may also find that once you are facing the things that trigger it on a regular basis, you will likely become desensitised over time.

I would anticipate that the people who make the best police officers are human and experience emotion when faced with trauma. Otherwise they would be psychopaths :)

There are some really good tips around the forum on breathing when you are faced with becoming anxious (controlled breathing, not necessarily a paper bag job)

Best of luck with your future career. :)

trinidiva
06-18-2014, 02:27 PM
Well, if you can, you may want to speak with a counselor who is trained in dealing with anxiety disorders. They can give you some good exercises that you might be able to do that will help a lot. One thing is for sure though. You can't leave this unchecked because it can and will get worse. Especially considering the type of profession you are interested in. If you start working on addressing the issue early, you should be fine.

uaware
06-19-2014, 05:11 PM
Being anxious in a trauma situation comes naturally to most people.

Unless it's constant anxiety that disrupts your everyday life, I would say on a personal level that it's simply a habit you have formed when faced with a particular situation.

If it is happening only in certain situations it's most likely not a disorder, and more the body kicking out a little too much juice :)

You may also find that once you are facing the things that trigger it on a regular basis, you will likely become desensitised over time.

I would anticipate that the people who make the best police officers are human and experience emotion when faced with trauma. Otherwise they would be psychopaths :)

There are some really good tips around the forum on breathing when you are faced with becoming anxious (controlled breathing, not necessarily a paper bag job)

Best of luck with your future career. :)

How can I stop my body from "putting out to much juice"?
I want to be able to control the situation. Sometimes I feel as if I dont have control. There has been several times where I have been so anxious/nervous that ive been light headed and close to passing out

Fourteen14
06-19-2014, 05:21 PM
How can I stop my body from "putting out to much juice"? I want to be able to control the situation. Sometimes I feel as if I dont have control. There has been several times where I have been so anxious/nervous that ive been light headed and close to passing out

There are lots of a techniques and routes you could go down.

As Trinidiva points out, counselling or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy can be really useful in nipping it in the bud preventing it becoming a bigger issue.

If you are in the UK you can be referred by your GP. Unless it's something that interrupts your life constantly it's unlikely you will be put on any medications.

CBT is really useful for phobias, or changing behaviour in particular situations, and helps you to develop coping strategies.

The downside is, if you are in the US it's big $$
The upside is, if you are in the UK it's FREE.

Im-Suffering
06-19-2014, 05:32 PM
How can I stop my body from "putting out to much juice"?
I want to be able to control the situation. Sometimes I feel as if I dont have control. There has been several times where I have been so anxious/nervous that ive been light headed and close to passing out

There would be no struggle if the right occupation was chosen. There would be security, joy, and comfort. And your 'juice' would normalize. Now something you may not understand, or want to for that matter. You do not want to desensitize yourself to murder (this particular case was not, at the moment you are toying with possibilities). It does not matter what side of the coin you are on, whether that be as you term it right, or wrong. Accept there are many things you do not at present understand, so your body is talking for you. Should you conquer that by sheer force of will, your soul would not be the better for it.

Better to realize this now, than later when its to late to save yourself.

Now the men at the slaughter house that put meat hooks through chickens are desensitized, and should you reach that condition you will have many things to account for. Thou shalt not murder, under any conditions, for if thy self murders another, he kills himself in the process, no exceptions. No matter what side of the law you are on.

This is a spiritual lesson, take or leave it, but do listen to your unhappy body. For if something feels good, its right for you.

End of post.

uaware
06-19-2014, 05:40 PM
There would be no struggle if the right occupation was chosen. There would be security, joy, and comfort. And your 'juice' would normalize. Now something you may not understand, or want to for that matter. You do not want to desensitize yourself to murder (this particular case was not, at the moment you are toying with possibilities). It does not matter what side of the coin you are on, whether that be as you term it right, or wrong. Accept there are many things you do not at present understand, so your body is talking for you. Should you conquer that by sheer force of will, your soul would not be the better for it.

Better to realize this now, than later when its to late to save yourself.

Now the men at the slaughter house that put meat hooks through chickens are desensitized, and should you reach that condition you will have many things to account for. Thou shalt not murder, under any conditions, for if thy self murders another, he kills himself in the process, no exceptions. No matter what side of the law you are on.

This is a spiritual lesson, take or leave it, but do listen to your unhappy body. For if something feels good, its right for you.

End of post.

I do not want to desensitize myself to murder. I just dont want to panic and be so anxious to the point of passing out when someone is in trouble (car accident for example) and I want to help them..

Fourteen14
06-19-2014, 05:46 PM
Uaware

There is a link to a free CBT workbook, that may have parts relevant or adaptable to you and your personal situation. (If anything it will give a little insight into what to expect from sessions)

Hope it's of some use :)

http://www.hpft.nhs.uk/_uploads/documents/help-for-adults/cbt-workshop-booklet_web.pdf

uaware
06-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Uaware

There is a link to a free CBT workbook, that may have parts relevant or adaptable to you and your personal situation. (If anything it will give a little insight into what to expect from sessions)

Hope it's of some use :)

thankyou very much I appreciate that!

Fourteen14
06-19-2014, 05:51 PM
thankyou very much I appreciate that!

You are more than welcome!

Im-Suffering
06-19-2014, 05:57 PM
I do not want to desensitize myself to murder. I just dont want to panic and be so anxious to the point of passing out when someone is in trouble (car accident for example) and I want to help them..

You are dipping your toes in to the shallow end of the pool at the present. Getting a feel for the water, period. You are picturing the day where you will be in the deep end without a vest and these images whether real or imaginary are troubling.

It is not what you do with your life, it is how your are being, doing it. And this bothers you. For you are just a little more sensitive than some of your peers.

Better to keep your soul intact, than to jump head in and regret it later.

I would examine why you do what you do, why you want to do it, where this desire came from and what motive is there. What shall you do in the situations you will face?

Go back in your family history, what did they teach you? What are your beliefs, who are you?

Do all of this soul searching before jumping in therapy and meds to desensitize yourself. You have done nothing wrong ! You haven't even begun !

Get to know you first. That is your answer. I behoove you, do not look for blankets to cover the issue. And rush out to battle! No!

I know I am the underdog here, so good luck on your journey.