PDA

View Full Version : Whats Risperidone?!?! They are going to put me on that?!

EmetSoph
06-05-2014, 07:26 AM
WHAT IS IT?! Im not getting drugged again! D:

Fourteen14
06-05-2014, 08:58 AM
WHAT IS IT?! Im not getting drugged again! D:

Hi Emet It's used in a number of ways to treat a variety of conditions, it's used to treat behavioural, mood and more complicated emotional conditions.

Anne1221
06-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Hi Emet,
I can tell you my story and it's very similar to others who have posted on this forum. I found that after I took the medication, I felt so much better and it made such a difference and my life was better.

EmetSoph
06-05-2014, 10:01 AM
But i was just an idiot and looked at the side affects and it says 'may cause sudden death' so now i dont want to take it

Fourteen14
06-05-2014, 11:45 AM
But i was just an idiot and looked at the side affects and it says 'may cause sudden death' so now i dont want to take it

The side effects are usually detailed on a tiered basis (common, uncommon, rare and very rare).

Even if 1 person experienced sudden death, it has to be placed as a health warning.

Such extreme risks are normally on the 1/100,000 scale and generally involve underlying serious medical conditions (diseases of renal function for example) meaning if you are healthy, you are at higher risk of being killed on your way to the bus stop, than from taking medication.

Even aspirin and paracetamol carry such risks.

EmetSoph
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
The side effects are usually detailed on a tiered basis (common, uncommon, rare and very rare).

Even if 1 person experienced sudden death, it has to be placed as a health warning.

Such extreme risks are normally on the 1/100,000 scale and generally involve underlying serious medical conditions (diseases of renal function for example) meaning if you are healthy, you are at higher risk of being killed on your way to the bus stop, than from taking medication.

Even aspirin and paracetamol carry such risks.

Ohh Thank you, that makes sense I suppose! Not sure whether to give it ago.. im on diazepam at the moment and they want me off that so.. im not sure?

Fourteen14
06-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Ohh Thank you, that makes sense I suppose! Not sure whether to give it ago.. im on diazepam at the moment and they want me off that so.. im not sure?

It's a drug designed for long term use, rather than diazepam (benzo) which are generally prescribed over the short term.

Risperidone is more effective in stabilising mood.

EmetSoph
06-05-2014, 12:07 PM
It's a drug designed for long term use, rather than diazepam (benzo) which are generally prescribed over the short term.

Risperidone is more effective in stabilising mood.

Ahh understandable thank you very much! :)