PDA

View Full Version : Tips on belly breathing for anxiety with troublesome nose?

DyG
05-30-2014, 06:23 AM
I have been a chest breather since I was a kid, and I have noticed that my long habit of chest breathing really does play a big part in my anxiety such as nocturnal panic attacks. This is most likely due to having chronic nasal inflammation since I was young (I cannot even remember when the inflammation started, it may have started from preschool-elem, I am 20 now), I can still breath through my nose, but inhale/exhale it is way more restricted. Growing up I have tried the typical nasal sprays prescribed by doctors but they would never really work(though I never really have used them for long periods of time). I understand that I can retrain my habit with time to belly breathing, but having nasal congestion/inflammation definitely makes it harder along with the fact that I can't remember the last time I had a normal nasal air flow.(the times where my nasal do get unrestricted air flow such as coming from a shower are only short term and would only last for at most a few minutes)
I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions/knowledge that may help with chronic nasal inflammation. I plan on getting my nasal checked again soon during a doctor appointment but generally what would happen is that I would just be told that my nasal is inflamed and I would be prescribed the typical nasal spray.
Many Thanks.

PanicCured
05-30-2014, 08:29 PM
If you chronically overbreathe, it can make it harder to breathe. Patrick McKeown, the Buteyko breathing author who wrote the book, Anxiety Free that I used, told me that the most important thing is not overbreathing and breathing through the nose, into the belly is important after you get a grip on that first. so according to him, breathing into the chest, but at a proper rate, is more important than breathing into the belly and breathing too much. Of course, into the belly and light calm breathing is ideal. Also, of course it is natural to breathe harder when exercising, the key is it should match yout metabolic rate. If you do some Buteyko breathing exercises, or at least focus on calm, light breathing through your nose, can you breathe through your nose then? The mouth is too big and no Nitric Oxide is made, so it can screw up your respiratory center by breathing out too much Co2.

It amazes me the thing we all do all day, everyday, is filled with such misunderstanding and so many myths.

Read this about proper breathing:

http://www.patrickmckeown.net/panic-attacks.php

Here are some free video demos about breathing and exercises:
http://www.patrickmckeown.net/videos.php

No I am not Patrick or get paid for any of this. I am a firm believer that knowledge is power when treating anxiety.

NixonRulz
05-30-2014, 08:33 PM
If you chronically overbreathe, it can make it harder to breathe. Patrick McKeown, the Buteyko breathing author who wrote the book, Anxiety Free that I used, told me that the most important thing is not overbreathing and breathing through the nose, into the belly is important after you get a grip on that first. so according to him, breathing into the chest, but at a proper rate, is more important than breathing into the belly and breathing too much. Of course, into the belly and light calm breathing is ideal. Also, of course it is natural to breathe harder when exercising, the key is it should match yout metabolic rate. If you do some Buteyko breathing exercises, or at least focus on calm, light breathing through your nose, can you breathe through your nose then? The mouth is too big and no Nitric Oxide is made, so it can screw up your respiratory center by breathing out too much Co2.

It amazes me the thing we all do all day, everyday, is filled with such misunderstanding and so many myths.

Read this about proper breathing:

http://www.patrickmckeown.net/panic-attacks.php

Here are some free video demos about breathing and exercises:
http://www.patrickmckeown.net/videos.php

No I am not Patrick or get paid for any of this. I am a firm believer that knowledge is power when treating anxiety.

I can vouch he isn't Patrick

PC knows his anxiety

Always good advice

PanicCured
05-31-2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah although I wish I had that nice Irish accent. Would go well with this Guinness. I mean who else better to tell you how to breathe than a little leprechaun?