PDA

View Full Version : Is anxiety or depression something than can be overcome or just managed?

kcg
04-20-2014, 05:28 PM
Is anxiety or depression something than can be overcome or just managed?

I have been visiting quite a few blogs, discussion boards and websites to see the overall consensus regarding overcoming or just managing anxiety and or depression. From what I have gathered the majority of discussion seems to be toward living a life where it can be managed. This in of itself is very depressing. If a choice exists to manage or be free from a condition, wouldn't the majority choose freedom?

So what are some thoughts, techniques, or philosophies that can lead to freedom? What is something you would share, something you would say "listen, you need to try this. You will be amazed at how this works"? What have been some complete failures?

Of the success stories I have come across there is one thing is similar, and that is consistency. They showed the determination and will to stay the course and in the end it seems they are now sharing their testimony with others.

My thought is to get enough people to talk and focus on what works, share success stories, and in the end live a life free of depression or anxiety.

Be well,
KG

libertynow
04-20-2014, 06:11 PM
I have complete faith it's curable not merely manageable. Accept curable I believe means a change to a positive lifestyle. Manageable option is using meds and techniques but not changing the lifestyle.

Kevin

kcg
04-20-2014, 07:50 PM
I have complete faith it's curable not merely manageable. Accept curable I believe means a change to a positive lifestyle. Manageable option is using meds and techniques but not changing the lifestyle.

Kevin

Thanks for your insight. Can you share anything you have picked up along the way or what you have experienced in order to feel this way? I was considering doing some online based programs, but was wanting to seek the advice of those with success.

libertynow
04-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Thanks for your insight. Can you share anything you have picked up along the way or what you have experienced in order to feel this way? I was considering doing some online based programs, but was wanting to seek the advice of those with success.

The mindfulness & acceptance workbook for anxiety by John Forsyth and George Eifert.

Mindfulness is everything to me.

kcg
04-20-2014, 08:53 PM
The mindfulness & acceptance workbook for anxiety by John Forsyth and George Eifert.

Mindfulness is everything to me.

Awesome I will check it out. My goal after I kick this thing in the nads, is to share how anyone can overcome this!

libertynow
04-20-2014, 09:07 PM
Awesome I will check it out. My goal after I kick this thing in the nads, is to share how anyone can overcome this!

Nice to see the optimism while you are experiencing this. Lack of mindfulness got me hear so adding it to my lifestyle will get me out and never look back as it becomes my lifestyle. Mindfulness. :)

Kevin

Riley20
04-21-2014, 04:16 PM
A lot of the time when suffering from either depression or anxiety it's hard to see the positive and probably will think it will never truly be cured. However, I think that it is something that can be overcome in the long run but it's just something that takes a lot of time. Also, I think that it can only be overcome by learning how to manage it so really for me one leads to the other, learning to manage it is a great step and in many cases it probably makes people a lot more positive which makes them believe they've overcome it.

kthotti
05-13-2014, 01:19 PM
A lot of the time when suffering from either depression or anxiety it's hard to see the positive and probably will think it will never truly be cured. However, I think that it is something that can be overcome in the long run but it's just something that takes a lot of time. Also, I think that it can only be overcome by learning how to manage it so really for me one leads to the other, learning to manage it is a great step and in many cases it probably makes people a lot more positive which makes them believe they've overcome it.

Does it really takes lots of time to overcome anxiety . I am suffering from it.

olivia4514
05-13-2014, 02:20 PM
You can definitely overcome both for good. I'm still on my way there but I know that I'll be free of em' once. Just don't ever look back at the worst times, it will only pull you backwards. It takes time though, just hang on :)

Bhargav Sanketi
06-09-2014, 04:16 AM
As stated above, it is definitely curable. I have completely gotten over mine and don't feel depressed anymore. Healtheminds site is something you guys need to check out. I hated going out and getting therapy so this was way better. Nice folks. :) :)