PDA

View Full Version : Tips for starting an ssri

Jgirl-73
04-15-2014, 06:41 AM
I was wondering (for those of you on an ssri) what advice or things you did to ease yourself during start up? Today is day 8 on Zoloft & I'm actually supposed to up my dose today but I'm waiting till tomorrow due to severe increase in anxiety the last two days. I have Xanax but try not to take it unless totally necessary. Thanks for any advice/tips!

Fourteen14
04-15-2014, 07:02 AM
I was wondering (for those of you on an ssri) what advice or things you did to ease yourself during start up? Today is day 8 on Zoloft & I'm actually supposed to up my dose today but I'm waiting till tomorrow due to severe increase in anxiety the last two days. I have Xanax but try not to take it unless totally necessary. Thanks for any advice/tips!

Personally I would stick with the advice given when you were prescribed Zoloft. Increasing the dosage may give you some unwanted sensations. But the quicker you get your body used to the increase, the sooner the benefits of the meds.

Delaying due to anxiety only prolongs the anxiety (I hope that makes sense). Often many of the side effects are brought on psychologically (not always), but anticipating what you have read on the label, often makes people more anxious than any actual effect on the body from the medication itself.

jessed03
04-15-2014, 07:40 AM
Yeah, take it today. Get it over with! A day sooner to being out of the start up period.

Some tips I've picked up when beginning an SSRI:

Day 8 is when it really gets cracking.

Just thinking back, days 5-12 were always the worst for me.

Hmmm. Tips for taking SSRIs. Good question!

Firstly I'd say don't aggravate anything. Try get a proper nights sleep, three solid meals, enough water. It's surprising how much of a hissy fit the body can throw when it doesn't get the basics, and has SSRI start up to deal with too.

Avoid grapefruit. It's meant to be iffy with Zoloft.

Keep regular dose timing. Just helps start up.

Attribute most of the stuff to the SSRI. If you get bouts of craziness, just put all of that down to the SSRI, without reading into stuff.

Work with your body for a few weeks. Usually we encourage a no pain no gain attitude to tackling anxiety, but if you feel down, that's cool, flow with it and give yourself time. If you feel weak, rest, cancel engagements, it's ok. Give yourself a special J-girl month! Nice as possible.

Avoid alcohol for the first few months. Pretty obvious one.

If possible, try and limit excessive sensory simulation. No loud music as your ears may ring afterwards. Try and avoid loud noises. Make sure lights aren't too bright. Take eye breaks from the computer regularly. It's surprising how easily eye floaters, and tinnitus and nausea can develop when starting SSRIs. Small things can cause symptom flare up.

Sucking mints for sickness and vertigo type sensations can be very helpful. Somewhat of a lifesaver for me in the past.

If you're gonna have sex, try and do it 12 hours after a dose. And you probably wanna tell your partner what's up, as sex is often a chore for the first couple of months on Zoloft. Nothing works as it should. Though you may be lucky.

Gently massaging your face can help with tension. Especially around the eyes, forehead and jaw. Neck and shoulders too, as they carry lots if tension.

A support network is so great. Hopefully you feel you have that here? You seem to be coping, so that's good. If not, you can PM me anytime! Same goes for everybody starting up on these.

Don't read about side effects. Just don't. Goodness me. The mind can bring about anything it chooses to in it's anxious state. Wish I had a dollar for the amount of people that were taking a drug peacefully, and then read the side effects and disrupted their rhythm. If you have a problem, docs are always available, or at the very least, only check side effects if you've had something for a couple of days. Unless serious, of course.

Don't read drug stories. Doesn't help. Unless you read the positive ones, that can get you in a good frame of mind.

Try and take the SSRI around noon, unless told otherwise as it gives you time to burn off that nervous energy before you sleep.

Try and take a walk everyday.

Try and keep busy, even if it's just taking a walk, sitting in the park, doing some work.

Avoid caffeine.

Try to meditate for 10 minutes. Nows a great time to learn, all of that extra start up anxiety gives you plenty of practice material.

Try and be positive and proactive. I'm sure you've heard the saying 'A watched kettle never seems to boil'. Things seem to take much longer when we watch them eagerly. SSRIs work well when you go about keeping busy, and being proactive as much as possible. One day you seem to wake up and have a new vigour about you. You begin to wake up with a little bit of a spring.
That transition is less effective in people who wake up everyday and analyze how they're feeling, waiting for magic to happen.

Try to be less introspective. Nows a great time to practice. Try to look outwards more often than inwards. Don't focus on symptoms. Don't focus on sensations. When you notice yourself focusing on what's inside of you, shake your arms, shake out the tension, and focus on something outside of you. Even just a video game. Let that attitude be something that you carry on into your new found mood. If you do feel you need to be introspective, look inside your mind, and see where that's at, and use it as a basis for future CBT sessions.

Teas are good. They can be relaxing. 3x camomile a day is very helpful. It has a slightly sedating effect.

Avoid B-Complex for now. It can be over stimulating.

If you dream too much, or sleep is stressful, try putting some essential oils, or lavender by your pillow. That can relax you as you sleep. Writing dreams down can be helpful if they reoccur, or seem strong.

If you have night time attacks, sleep with a light on, you'll awaken to a full conscious state faster than when you wake in darkness. Doesn't make you a kid again, I promise.

Keep an eye on the long game. View taking an SSRI not as a punishment for bad health, but as an investment. View it as something you're doing for better long term health.

Use a benzo every few days if they're easy for you to take. It can help the anxiety from compounding. Stress is very compounding in nature. Unless you feel you manage ok without them.

Ummmm... Yeah, that's all I've got.

trinidiva
04-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Jesse told you everything you need to know....all bases covered.....excellent post and advice.

Jgirl-73
04-15-2014, 11:58 AM
Yeah, take it today. Get it over with! A day sooner to being out of the start up period. Some tips I've picked up when beginning an SSRI: Day 8 is when it really gets cracking. Just thinking back, days 5-12 were always the worst for me. Hmmm. Tips for taking SSRIs. Good question! Firstly I'd say don't aggravate anything. Try get a proper nights sleep, three solid meals, enough water. It's surprising how much of a hissy fit the body can throw when it doesn't get the basics, and has SSRI start up to deal with too. Avoid grapefruit. It's meant to be iffy with Zoloft. Keep regular dose timing. Just helps start up. Attribute most of the stuff to the SSRI. If you get bouts of craziness, just put all of that down to the SSRI, without reading into stuff. Work with your body for a few weeks. Usually we encourage a no pain no gain attitude to tackling anxiety, but if you feel down, that's cool, flow with it and give yourself time. If you feel weak, rest, cancel engagements, it's ok. Give yourself a special J-girl month! Nice as possible. Avoid alcohol for the first few months. Pretty obvious one. If possible, try and limit excessive sensory simulation. No loud music as your ears may ring afterwards. Try and avoid loud noises. Make sure lights aren't too bright. Take eye breaks from the computer regularly. It's surprising how easily eye floaters, and tinnitus and nausea can develop when starting SSRIs. Small things can cause symptom flare up. Sucking mints for sickness and vertigo type sensations can be very helpful. Somewhat of a lifesaver for me in the past. If you're gonna have sex, try and do it 12 hours after a dose. And you probably wanna tell your partner what's up, as sex is often a chore for the first couple of months on Zoloft. Nothing works as it should. Though you may be lucky. Gently massaging your face can help with tension. Especially around the eyes, forehead and jaw. Neck and shoulders too, as they carry lots if tension. A support network is so great. Hopefully you feel you have that here? You seem to be coping, so that's good. If not, you can PM me anytime! Same goes for everybody starting up on these. Don't read about side effects. Just don't. Goodness me. The mind can bring about anything it chooses to in it's anxious state. Wish I had a dollar for the amount of people that were taking a drug peacefully, and then read the side effects and disrupted their rhythm. If you have a problem, docs are always available, or at the very least, only check side effects if you've had something for a couple of days. Unless serious, of course. Don't read drug stories. Doesn't help. Unless you read the positive ones, that can get you in a good frame of mind. Try and take the SSRI around noon, unless told otherwise as it gives you time to burn off that nervous energy before you sleep. Try and take a walk everyday. Try and keep busy, even if it's just taking a walk, sitting in the park, doing some work. Avoid caffeine. Try to meditate for 10 minutes. Nows a great time to learn, all of that extra start up anxiety gives you plenty of practice material. Try and be positive and proactive. I'm sure you've heard the saying 'A watched kettle never seems to boil'. Things seem to take much longer when we watch them eagerly. SSRIs work well when you go about keeping busy, and being proactive as much as possible. One day you seem to wake up and have a new vigour about you. You begin to wake up with a little bit of a spring. That transition is less effective in people who wake up everyday and analyze how they're feeling, waiting for magic to happen. Try to be less introspective. Nows a great time to practice. Try to look outwards more often than inwards. Don't focus on symptoms. Don't focus on sensations. When you notice yourself focusing on what's inside of you, shake your arms, shake out the tension, and focus on something outside of you. Even just a video game. Let that attitude be something that you carry on into your new found mood. If you do feel you need to be introspective, look inside your mind, and see where that's at, and use it as a basis for future CBT sessions. Teas are good. They can be relaxing. 3x camomile a day is very helpful. It has a slightly sedating effect. Avoid B-Complex for now. It can be over stimulating. If you dream too much, or sleep is stressful, try putting some essential oils, or lavender by your pillow. That can relax you as you sleep. Writing dreams down can be helpful if they reoccur, or seem strong. If you have night time attacks, sleep with a light on, you'll awaken to a full conscious state faster than when you wake in darkness. Doesn't make you a kid again, I promise. Keep an eye on the long game. View taking an SSRI not as a punishment for bad health, but as an investment. View it as something you're doing for better long term health. Use a benzo every few days if they're easy for you to take. It can help the anxiety from compounding. Stress is very compounding in nature. Unless you feel you manage ok without them. Ummmm... Yeah, that's all I've got.

That's very helpful! Thank you.

I actually called my pdoc before I read all these replies & she said I needed to up the dose. She said sometimes the initial dose calms us for a few days and then the anxiety comes back because the dose isn't therapeutic yet. She said upping the dose may actually help a little. We'll see.

I'm coping but this is very hard. I don't get why some folks have no problem going on these meds! Hopefully it won't last too much longer...