PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Prozac

ghall
04-24-2008, 07:08 AM
I've had it with prozac. I'm at the point where I can sort of manage anxiety on my own, and I'm sick of the crappy feeling it gives me. I skipped taking it yesterday and I felt a little better, but I want to know how I can come off it completely. Today I'm staying home because I'm anxious about coming off of it.

Can someone else who has had experience coming off of prozac tell me what to expect and what the best way to go about it is.

Robbed
04-25-2008, 05:20 AM
I've never been on SSRIs. But I can tell you that a gradual approach to discontinuing them is generally most prudent. Yes, you will have to deal with side effects for a longer time. But going off slowly will decrease or eliminate any possible withdrawal.

ghall
04-25-2008, 06:59 AM
I've never been on SSRIs. But I can tell you that a gradual approach to discontinuing them is generally most prudent. Yes, you will have to deal with side effects for a longer time. But going off slowly will decrease or eliminate any possible withdrawal.

Thanks. But what do you mean by dealing with side effects for a longer time?

Robbed
05-05-2008, 05:07 AM

I simply mean that, because you will be on the medication for a longer time, you will experience side effects for a longer time.

ghall
05-05-2008, 08:48 PM

I simply mean that, because you will be on the medication for a longer time, you will experience side effects for a longer time.

Oh okay. I've been taking it for over 4-5 years. I'm actually doing a lot better, I'm not so spacey and monotonous, and I'm sleeping a lot better. My anxiety level has actually gone down since I got off the meds.

agoraphobia
05-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Hi,

I have taken Prozac off and on several different times. I would recommend consulting with your DR. before comming off of Prozac.

Prozac has a very long half life, so it is not difficult to come off of. I have did this on my own each time I came off of it.

The way I did it the first time, was I would miss a dose, and take the next 2 daily doses. After a couple of weeks, I skipped everyother day. After a couple of weeks, I only took it every 3rd day, and after that I didn't take anymore. I had no side affects from this what so ever.

I did the same when I was on an older antidepressent -> Tofranil.

I would recommend talking this over with your DR. however. The way I came off of it was of my on choosing, and I should have consulted my DR first as well, even though I had no issues at all.

I'm glad to hear that you are doing better. ;)