PDA

View Full Version : Beta-blocker question.

Mr.Andrew
03-30-2014, 05:36 PM
One of my biggest problems when going out in public is "twitching" up. When i get nervous, i get a tic in my eyes, and I ended up either blinking too much or having a trembling eye lid because im trying not too blink. Mentally, Im not very nervous at all. I mean, i guess i am a little, but Ive reached a point where my nerves dont deter me from going out in the first place. If i can just gain control of my twitches, i think i'd be alright.

Will Beta blockers help with this? If i take them, will I become sleepy or less motivated? and if so, are their any non narcotic medications to help with the side effects?

Any information would help.

jessed03
03-30-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey Mr Andrew.

Does anyone comment on your twitch? Hope I don't make you paranoid or anything, just wondering. :)

My ex used to laugh her ass off at mine. I used to have a twitch in both eyes and my nose. I'd scrunch those areas up really quick. I could never tell if she was serious, or whether she was laughing in a cute way. I never thought it was down to stress oddly enough. My young brain was too naive to make that connection back then. Probably why a nervous breakdown lay in wait.

Anyway. I'd expect a beta blocker to help you, yeah. Beta blockers combined with a low dose of benzo can be very effective, but beta blockers on their own should make a difference.

I wouldn't really expect you to become sleepy, and certainly not less motivated. Not long term anyway.

Like most drugs there are start up symptoms, and BBs can cause tiredness, but, it's not nearly as common as it is with some antidepressants. It's a side effect, but one that you may not get, or one that should go over time as your body becomes used to the med.

jessed03
03-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Whether they have that side effect on you or not, only one way to find out, right!

needtogetwell
03-31-2014, 03:27 AM
Hi Mr. Andrew,

The eye twitch you speak of happens to my mother - in - law. For us it is a sure fire signal that her anxiety levels were skyrocketing! She always said to us that she didn't feel anxious but we knew better.

She initially was on beta-blockers and Benzos but neither seemed to calm the nervous twitch. What did help was a regimen of anti-depressants. Now she rarely has the eye twitch.

I would however give them a try if your doctor has suggested them. As Jesse said, you won't know if they will help unless you try.

Good luck with this.
Pam

Mr.Andrew
03-31-2014, 09:28 PM
Thank, both of ya'll, the information on the medication is helpful, but knowing that Im not the only one going through this is priceless.

Benzos would work for me-and they have-but they arebno long term option. I have an addictive personality-in regards to both "Mental dependence liability" and "Excess."
Once i realized that that class of medicine was effective, my expectations and standards shoot through the roof. Knowing how easy life was on Xanex, I became repulsed by the ideas of acceptance and self-reliance. I completely forgot all my original coping mechanisms, coping mechanism that took years to develop and a few more to remember.

Regardless, as long as beta-blacker wont rob of my will to live, it sounds like a viable option :)

thanks

HockeyRules
03-31-2014, 09:31 PM
Thank, both of ya'll, the information on the medication is helpful, but knowing that Im not the only one going through this is priceless. Benzos would work for me-and they have-but they arebno long term option. I have an addictive personality-in regards to both "Mental dependence liability" and "Excess." Once i realized that that class of medicine was effective, my expectations and standards shoot through the roof. Knowing how easy life was on Xanex, I became repulsed by the ideas of acceptance and self-reliance. I completely forgot all my original coping mechanisms, coping mechanism that took years to develop and a few more to remember. Regardless, as long as beta-blacker wont rob of my will to live, it sounds like a viable option :) thanks

I was on beta blockers for high blood pressure. I take something else now though. Beta blockers inhibit adrenaline which is a good thing for anxiety as well as it lowers your pulse.

David