PDA

View Full Version : What came first the chicken or the egg?

libertynow
03-29-2014, 06:22 AM
Sorry for my chosen title, but it's the only title I can come up with that pretty much sums up my question or has almost the same unending answer. With depression, anxiety, and stress is there one or the other that comes first? In the beginning it was confusing, but in starting to think it goes something like this: excessive stress+anxiety=depression. In the beginning when all this started almost a year ago I was certain it was depression+anxiety=stress which was completely backwards. Maybe there's no actual equation and it can be scattered for others. Anyone else share this equation or have it differently? Kevin

Dragons
03-29-2014, 07:49 AM
I've often wondered the same thing. I think it was the anxiety that came first for me––and the panic attacks and constant worry make me exhausted and depressed.

Fourteen14
03-29-2014, 07:57 AM
This is a question very few people will ever find the answer to, but many will drive themselves crazy trying to figure.

Did biology change the behaviour? or Behaviour changed the biology?

My own personal opinion is, regardless of the cause, the reassurance as far as recovery is concerned is, changing behaviour (adopting new thought processes), does and will change the biology.

stp4779
04-01-2014, 11:25 AM
That's a great question! I used to always think that anxiety preceded depression, but my therapist told me in my case, depression came first. Anxiety was my body's way of saying "hey! something's wrong!!!" But I'm sure it's different for everyone. It sure would be great to know for sure!