PDA

View Full Version : Giving up Lexapro cold turkey

Laura09Jones
03-26-2014, 01:01 PM
I've been on Lexapro and wellbutrin for about for about three months and I'm dropping the Lexapro. I ran out before I got scrip filled and I am loving the way I feel! Feel, I think that's something I haven't done in three months. I know there are side effects, and so far all I have is dizziness and headaches. Anyone else give up Lexapro? Just a little curious whats in store for me down the road a ways.

Dahila
03-26-2014, 02:26 PM
I had never been on it but quitting any meds cold turkey is not really good idea, Laura welcome to forum

jessed03
03-26-2014, 02:30 PM
When I was younger and stupider I quit Celexa cold turkey, which is similar to Lexapro and had no major withdrawal symptoms.

Cold Turkey is never smart though. Wait there so I can come and tell you off :)

Dahila
03-26-2014, 03:20 PM
When I was younger and stupider I quit Celexa cold turkey, which is similar to Lexapro and had no major withdrawal symptoms.

Cold Turkey is never smart though. Wait there so I can come and tell you off :)
so did I and I had major side effects Jesse, the only difference I could not call myself young at this time:))) Hi Jesse

Laura09Jones
03-26-2014, 03:39 PM
:-) I know it's not a smart thing to do, but I'm doing it anyway. If I have any major symptoms I'll get my doc in on it. I just feel too great to take the stuff anymore. I didn't realize it, but I was a bit of a zombie. I'm hoping I wasn't on it long enough to be too attached.

jessed03
03-26-2014, 03:54 PM
Glad you aren't getting any withdrawals so far. Knock on wood, I've always been pretty lucky with them too, never had any problems going cold turkey or withdrawing quite quickly. You just know the next med I take is gonna give me hell now coming off of it, don't you :)

Laura09Jones
03-26-2014, 04:12 PM
Glad you aren't getting any withdrawals so far. Knock on wood, I've always been pretty lucky with them too, never had any problems going cold turkey or withdrawing quite quickly. You just know the next med I take is gonna give me hell now coming off of it, don't you :)

Haha! Hopefully not! If so, you can just blame it on me and say I jinxed ya!

anxietycat
03-26-2014, 04:19 PM
i think lexapro must be fairly easy to quit. I once went on vacation and forgot to bring my bottle and went 6 days without and didn't feel anything. I also used to skip 3-4 days at a time all the time and had no effects either.

Laura09Jones
03-26-2014, 05:06 PM
Bupropion 150 mg is what im taking.

That's good to know anxietycat!

Laura09Jones
03-26-2014, 05:46 PM
I believe it's XL. I really like it. It's helped with my anxiety plus helping me quit smoking!

Laura09Jones
03-27-2014, 04:53 AM
Nice! No trouble sleeping?

No not at all. I take it in the morning and have no trouble going to bed at night which is great for me since insomnia was a big problem.

How are you doing on it?

Laura09Jones
03-27-2014, 10:51 AM
Yes, it's XL, I checked.

Laura09Jones
03-28-2014, 05:38 PM
An update for anyone who cares...

I am feeling pretty fantastic! No major side effects, just some headaches and a tiny bit of fatigue but that's almost gone. The real test came today when I went to hell (Walmart) and I did great. I've had three major panic attacks in the parking lot of that place and today I came out all smiles. I hope this continues and I don't have to start taking it again!

jessed03
03-31-2014, 09:47 AM
An update for anyone who cares...

I am feeling pretty fantastic! No major side effects, just some headaches and a tiny bit of fatigue but that's almost gone. The real test came today when I went to hell (Walmart) and I did great. I've had three major panic attacks in the parking lot of that place and today I came out all smiles. I hope this continues and I don't have to start taking it again!

You freak of nature, you :)

Gimme some dem good withdrawal genes!!

You still feeling good Laura?

Laura09Jones
03-31-2014, 10:51 AM
You freak of nature, you :)

Gimme some dem good withdrawal genes!!

You still feeling good Laura?

Feeling fine as wine! The headaches and fatigue are completely gone AND I lost 6 lbs since I've been off the Lexapro. I think this was the best thing to do for me!

Laura09Jones
03-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Came off the SR version cold turkey as of friday. that drug made me regress when I'd come so far. I think I'm through the worst of the withdrawals. not sure what my pdoc is going to say on wednesday when I tell him I NEED MY SLEEP BACK!

Did it make you feel sleepy but you were unable to fall asleep? I walked around like a frigging zombie for three months!

Laura09Jones
04-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Ugh, today was not so great. I started having chest pains this morning but calmed myself down before it got to a full blown anxiety attack. This evening I wasn't as lucky. I started having chest pains and before I knew it I was freaking out!

I've been to a heart doctor and got the all clear so I know it's not a heart attack, but I think it every time I have chest pains. Maybe I should go to a different doctor for a second opinion or am I just being paranoid and it's the anxiety that makes me think this way?

Guess dropping the Lexapro wasn't the best thing for me. I wanted to be able to say I don't need the meds so bad!

soManyProblems
04-12-2014, 11:00 PM
You might get away with going cold turkey off the Lexapro, especially because you were only on it for 3 months and you didn't say the dose, but you are playing with fire. Going cold turkey off of SSRIs can be very, very unpleasant. I have experienced it myself, and I have seen a handful of other people do it too. It is bad news bears.

Taper off, for the love of your sanity and health. Tapering off is so easy.