PDA

View Full Version : Librium?

Chris C
03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Has anyone taken Librium (chlordiazepoxide) before? My new pdoc wants to get me off of xanax and prescribed this instead to titrate down. It doesn't seem like it's working. I've taken 20mg one day then 30mg the next and now 40 and I can't feel anything compared to xanax.

acetone
03-19-2014, 03:56 AM
Its not nearly as potent as Xanax. It is even weaker than Valium. Maybe ask your doc to put you on valium or klonopin. Chlordiazepoxide was the first benzo to be synthesized.

alankay
03-19-2014, 07:47 AM
Yeah less potent, longer acting and a tad slower acting but...... still a benzo. High dose will be like xanax potentially but that's not what the doc wants. Alankay

jessed03
03-19-2014, 08:00 AM
Good for withdrawing from alcohol, but doesn't hold a candle to Kpin and Xanax.

Chris C
03-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Ok thanks guys. It's just frustrating. I was finally able to go back to work after being off for a month due to anxiety. I was taking 1mg of xanax in the morning to help get me out the door and then feeling ok for the rest of the day. Now I'm a freakin wreck again.

blondieqtpie
03-20-2014, 06:00 AM
Klonopin aka clonazapam has always been my anxiety med of Choice. Of course my Doctor tries to push SSRI's more to lower my dosage of it. But it works best for me.

crussellii
03-20-2014, 07:20 PM
Started taking 25mg daily with 20MG Viibryd and haven't had a panic attack since. I like it because Xanax really made me feel loopy and tired. Got completely off Lexapro in October but 3-3-14 had a bad panic attack. Then had a 2nd one in the middle of the night. On day 16 of Viibryd And Librium and feel great

Chris C
03-20-2014, 10:24 PM
My doctor has been increasing my dosage of Librium that I started on Saturday. Last night I took 30mg and he said if I woke up anxious to take another 10mg every 4 to 6 hours. Woke up at 6 with terrible anxiety like usual. Took a pill. No effect. Took another at 11. Nothing. Called him and he said to try taking 50mg tonight which I just did.

I really wish he would just let me stay on xanax as it works for me and has no side effects. He's totally against benzos as they're addicting. At this point I don't care. I just want my life back.

Chris C
03-20-2014, 10:35 PM
I should clarify. The reason he put me on Librium is to wean off of benzos. He said it's much more difficult to wean off a benzo you're used to. So he puts people on Librium since it's old and most people haven't had it before. Then he starts the tapering.

crussellii
03-21-2014, 06:29 PM
I should clarify. The reason he put me on Librium is to wean off of benzos. He said it's much more difficult to wean off a benzo you're used to. So he puts people on Librium since it's old and most people haven't had it before. Then he starts the tapering.

Are you on any SSRI?

Chris C
03-21-2014, 07:39 PM
Yes I take Prozac. 60mg per day.

crussellii
03-22-2014, 05:12 AM
Yes I take Prozac. 60mg per day.

My anxiety and panic attacks completely subsided when I was on Lexapro. Never has to use any benzos in conjunction with it. Not sure if you've tried any other SSRIs. Maybe something to consider.

Chris C
03-24-2014, 12:40 AM
I've been on prozac the longest 10 years before and now back on again. I was on Lexapro for about a year. It worked ok at first. Then I was on Effexor which I hated. Tried Zoloft years ago back in college. None of the these drugs completely eliminated my need for a benzo.