PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried the Charles Lindon method?

forgiveandforget1995
03-16-2014, 08:36 PM
My mother has been using Charles Lindon's guide to overcome her Anxiety. I've been trying to get into it by listening to the Relaxation tapes but I don't feel like it does a lot. I also have his book and plan on reading it when I can. Does anyone here use his guide and think if he's any good or not? Thanks, Hope everyone is doing well!

jessed03
03-16-2014, 08:49 PM
I like his program, and if you wanted to try it, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that, in fact you could even pick up a lot of useful pointers.

I just think you also have some other things that need working on too. Lindens main idea is get on with life inspite of anxiety, it's only a sensation in your body. Good info for lots of people, but it doesn't deal much with depression, or self esteem/confidence, and those are things I think you will benefit a lot from working on.

Maybe read Linden, then try and learn some CBT. That can be gold. Have you ever had any before? Done a lot of good for my mind after years of living in a dangerous neighbourhood and being bullied.

Dahila
03-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Linden is good to teach you how to relax the body, then you can move to something serious....I do not like his idea that you should not take the meds. Not at all. His method helped me back to meditation:))

forgiveandforget1995
03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
I like his program, and if you wanted to try it, I don't think there would be anything wrong with that, in fact you could even pick up a lot of useful pointers.

I just think you also have some other things that need working on too. Lindens main idea is get on with life inspite of anxiety, it's only a sensation in your body. Good info for lots of people, but it doesn't deal much with depression, or self esteem/confidence, and those are things I think you will benefit a lot from working on.

Maybe read Linden, then try and learn some CBT. That can be gold. Have you ever had any before? Done a lot of good for my mind after years of living in a dangerous neighbourhood and being bullied.

Cool, are there any good books you know of that can help with Depression/self esteem/Confidence

jessed03
03-16-2014, 09:04 PM
I was reading through his book a couple of weeks ago. His experience with meds was horrifying, but I suppose he was a product of his time. What a thing to do to people back in the 70's and 80's - give them Valium and tell them they can take however much they want as it's not addictive, and any withdrawals or side effects they get, is just their anxiety, and they should take more.

Still, his idea is pretty good. I imagine it works for people who just feel anxious. I think he should have toned down the meds bit a little. He has a whole chapter on getting off meds and never taking them. I get where he's coming from, but if I was on meds reading that book, even the odd benzo, I'd have had a panic attack LOL

forgiveandforget1995
03-16-2014, 09:23 PM
I was reading through his book a couple of weeks ago. His experience with meds was horrifying, but I suppose he was a product of his time. What a thing to do to people back in the 70's and 80's - give them Valium and tell them they can take however much they want as it's not addictive, and any withdrawals or side effects they get, is just their anxiety, and they should take more.

Still, his idea is pretty good. I imagine it works for people who just feel anxious. I think he should have toned down the meds bit a little. He has a whole chapter on getting off meds and never taking them. I get where he's coming from, but if I was on meds reading that book, even the odd benzo, I'd have had a panic attack LOL

I haven't read it yet, all I know about him so far is that he used to suffer really badly with Anxiety, but he's now overcome it and managed to help thousands of other people who have it

jessed03
03-16-2014, 09:30 PM
He does a lot of tv work too now. I saw in on This Morning a short while back. Dahlia seems to like his tapes. She won't admit it, but she's fallen in love with him.

Dahlia, when you say move onto more serious stuff, which books do you mean? :)

HockeyRules
03-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Cool, are there any good books you know of that can help with Depression/self esteem/Confidence

Dr. David Burns.........Feeling Good. An older book but good.

Good book !!