PDA

View Full Version : A little advice please?

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 03:00 PM
Ok so I caved in at my therapy appointment on Friday. My therapist and Dr and I sat and discussed that I should try taking Celexa (Citalopram) again. I haven't taken it in over 4 years but it did work the last time I took it. But it was so long ago I completely forgot that it takes a while to build up the serotonin in your brain and that adjustment period sucks ass. I have anxiety and mild to moderate depression, the depression is actually caused by the anxiety in my case... go figure right? Anyways, so I started taking Celexa yesterday and that was a rough sauce kinda day. I was home alone with my dog and just watched funny movies and funny videos on youtube to try and keep my distracted. Been sweating and clammy hands and nauseous too. Really shaky today, like my anxiety is just jacked right up right now. And I know that it is all a part of my body getting used to the medication, I get that. But someone please tell me how long it lasts. Please say 3 days or something haha. I was started on 20mg a day and I think that is too much to start, last time I was started on 10mg a day for a few weeks then bumped it up to 20 so I think I am going to call my doctor tomorrow and just run it by her before I change anything..or should I just keep taking the 20mg a day so my body only has to get used to it once? Any thoughts? Kinda a 50-50 thing for me personally. Either way I will be talking to my doctor first. Also, any tips to help me get through this adjustment period? I do try to do breathing and small work outs to burn off the energy but at the same time it's hard because I am so freaking anxious right now... I need to relax.. I have to study for a pharmacology exam tomorrow and I cannot memorize medication names and functions when I feel like this! Any help is appreciated :)

jessed03
03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
How long is a piece of string. Sorry :)

For me it came in periods of a few hours and then went. That may be happening in your case and it may be raising your anxiety which creates more anxiety and continues on. I don't know how well you're able to let go of anxiety when it hits you, everybody's different in that sense.

You can try some really good, comforting self talk helps - repetitively, and perhaps continue the exercise if you can handle it to burn off some adrenaline.

Accepting symptoms works well. Like pure acceptance, is beautiful. Just paying no attention to any of it and going about your day, albeit at a handicap. Again, easier said that done.

Start ups are pretty nasty. I think if you were on 10mg, it may just last a few days. Not many people start on 20mg, so this could drag on a bit. But then you'll stabilize sooner most probably, compared to going on 10mg and then changing

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 03:20 PM
as long as you want it to be. Gotcha. That's actually a really good line, and I will definitely store that in my memory :)

I took Celexa on 2 other occasions and the last one was when I was 18/19 ish. I do have clonazepam to take as needed. I am not a fan of it personally, so I tend to just keep it in the bathroom closet as some sort of decoration lol but it kind of eases the mind knowing if it gets to a point where I just need to chill out, I can just go grab half a tablet or something. I take the Celexa in the morning because last time I took it, I took it at night and could not sleep for the life of me then had to take sleeping pills and clonazepam and that's just a walking zombie waiting to happen so I am just trying to take as little medication as possible at the right time. I used to handle anxiety fairly well but clearly have not been doing such a good job lately and that's why I decided to try medication again. The anxiety comes in waves, like how you were describing. I took the pill yesterday at 8am then at about 10 or so is when the anxiety waves started, lasting about 5-20 mins each time. By 6 I started to level out more. Was ok this morning, then a few hours after I took my dose for the day it started again. I haven't had an appetite either, like at all. Which is odd because I am a really big fan of food lol I just feel turned off of food. I can feel I am hungry then as soon as I look at food my stomach cringes and I don't want to eat it. I've experienced that before so I know that will pass and have just been snacking here and there to make sure I get enough nutrients in my system. Sorry for the rant. I am home alone today and guess I just got a lot to say and no one to say it to.

anxietycat
03-16-2014, 03:23 PM
Jesse D is right. I'm 6-7 weeks since starting and I still have bad days. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks for some people to months (in my case).

jessed03
03-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Jesse D is right. I'm 6-7 weeks since starting and I still have bad days. It can take anywhere from 2 weeks for some people to months (in my case).

Hey cat :)

as long as you want it to be. Gotcha. That's actually a really good line, and I will definitely store that in my memory :)

I took Celexa on 2 other occasions and the last one was when I was 18/19 ish. I do have clonazepam to take as needed. I am not a fan of it personally, so I tend to just keep it in the bathroom closet as some sort of decoration lol but it kind of eases the mind knowing if it gets to a point where I just need to chill out, I can just go grab half a tablet or something. I take the Celexa in the morning because last time I took it, I took it at night and could not sleep for the life of me then had to take sleeping pills and clonazepam and that's just a walking zombie waiting to happen so I am just trying to take as little medication as possible at the right time. I used to handle anxiety fairly well but clearly have not been doing such a good job lately and that's why I decided to try medication again. The anxiety comes in waves, like how you were describing. I took the pill yesterday at 8am then at about 10 or so is when the anxiety waves started, lasting about 5-20 mins each time. By 6 I started to level out more. Was ok this morning, then a few hours after I took my dose for the day it started again. I haven't had an appetite either, like at all. Which is odd because I am a really big fan of food lol I just feel turned off of food. I can feel I am hungry then as soon as I look at food my stomach cringes and I don't want to eat it. I've experienced that before so I know that will pass and have just been snacking here and there to make sure I get enough nutrients in my system. Sorry for the rant. I am home alone today and guess I just got a lot to say and no one to say it to.

Haha rant away :)

I've been on and off Celexa half a dozen times in my life, so it's one of the meds I always take an interest in really. Like reading others stories on it. I've always found it to be one of the more mild mannered drugs, which is nice.

It never affected my sleep, which was awesome. Every other SSRI I tried did.

The waves are rough when they first hit you. The last time I took Celexa, my anxiety was very mild, but I was having bouts of DR, so decided to take the med to see if it would help it. After day 2 the waves started and it was awful. I was pacing around my house thinking shall I call an ambulance, shall I call my mum, shall I go for a walk.... HELP MEEEE. I didn't even know what I was worried about, I didn't think I was dying or anything, I guess I just wanted to stop that awful feeling. Then after day 6 whenever I got them, I was a like 'Ahhh, I know you... I know what you're about. You can't hurt me. You're just a fraud. Yeah do what you want, you don't scare me'.

Minds amazing.

I had tonnes of adrenaline in me for weeks though. Just couldn't shake it. Exercise never helped, meditation neither. It was just one of those things I had to suck up. I remember feeling so buzzed my eyeballs felt like they'd pop.

Then like cat, a few weeks later the storm died down and I just went about life again.

I don't know whether these meds actually work or if they're big scams. I think the idea of them is to make you feel so awful, that when start up passes, it gives you the illusion you're better, just cos all the nasty symptoms are gone. Ok, I'm joking, but I did wonder once ;)

Having benzos is a comfort. That's always nice to have.

Have you got the nausea yet? Is that why you can't eat?

anxietycat
03-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I wonder this also . I know i am bad but my counselor said once rate it and i said a 1 , he looked at me and said what . I said if you have lived a 10 then everything after is a 1

Hey there Jesse and Forwells. I totally agree and wonder the same thing. But at the same time I like to think of meds as a crutch ... I need to work more on mindfulness and my CBT, but I'm looking for some "miracle pill".

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Hey cat :)

Haha rant away :)

I've been on and off Celexa half a dozen times in my life, so it's one of the meds I always take an interest in really. Like reading others stories on it. I've always found it to be one of the more mild mannered drugs, which is nice.

It never affected my sleep, which was awesome. Every other SSRI I tried did.

The waves are rough when they first hit you. The last time I took Celexa, my anxiety was very mild, but I was having bouts of DR, so decided to take the med to see if it would help it. After day 2 the waves started and it was awful. I was pacing around my house thinking shall I call an ambulance, shall I call my mum, shall I go for a walk.... HELP MEEEE. I didn't even know what I was worried about, I didn't think I was dying or anything, I guess I just wanted to stop that awful feeling. Then after day 6 whenever I got them, I was a like 'Ahhh, I know you... I know what you're about. You can't hurt me. You're just a fraud. Yeah do what you want, you don't scare me'.

Minds amazing.

I had tonnes of adrenaline in me for weeks though. Just couldn't shake it. Exercise never helped, meditation neither. It was just one of those things I had to suck up. I remember feeling so buzzed my eyeballs felt like they'd pop.

Then like cat, a few weeks later the storm died down and I just went about life again.

I don't know whether these meds actually work or if they're big scams. I think the idea of them is to make you feel so awful, that when start up passes, it gives you the illusion you're better, just cos all the nasty symptoms are gone. Ok, I'm joking, but I did wonder once ;)

Having benzos is a comfort. That's always nice to have.

Have you got the nausea yet? Is that why you can't eat?

How you said you were kinda pacing.. that's how I am. I seem content sitting on the couch, as long as I'm busy, like watching tv or reading or petting the dog, but then as soon as I am idle it's like every muscle tenses like I need to be doing something. When I am up and moving around it's ok, but then when I am done whatever task I am doing and I have nothing left to do I just pace, go look around the house and see if there is anything I should do, like clean or laundry or something but there is nothing left lol I cleaned it all ha.

Luckily for my I have a really patient partner so when he gets home from work, just like yesterday he will ask if there is anything he can do or help with. My brother lives in our basement and he knows I have started my medication, I gave him a heads up and let him know my mood might be fluctuating a little while my body adjusts and he said if I get too anxious I can go watch a movie with him in his room or something to calm down. Very helpful.

I just feel like I got a surge of energy flowing through me though, it's really hard to explain but I am sure you know what I mean. Same as you described, nothing to be anxious about but feeling it anyways. I was starting to get bouts of DR/DP like spacing out lots and not being able to concentrate, that's why my therapist and dr and I decided it was time to go to the next step. And I was getting really irritable, mostly from the anxiety getting worse because I have no time with school and the house and my dog was in the animal hospital for a week and almost died but he is ok now and home. Just a lot at once and my mind finally just went into overdrive or whatever happened. Thinking of taking .25 mg of clonazepam soon. Low dose I know, but that's all I ever needed to take the edge off. I'm not so much getting sick but just and uncomfortable feeling in my stomach, I had it last time I started on Celexa too, it will pass. It probably has a lot to do with my nerves right now too. Just gonna wait it out like the rest of these symptoms :)

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 04:00 PM
I said if you have lived a 10 then everything after is a 1

That makes perfect sense, very true

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Hey there Jesse and Forwells. I totally agree and wonder the same thing. But at the same time I like to think of meds as a crutch ... I need to work more on mindfulness and my CBT, but I'm looking for some "miracle pill".

Don't search for a miracle pill. There are some that work for some people and others that work for other people. I too go to CBT, it's a beautiful thing, it truly is. It helps, but it is a slow gradual process, as is overcoming any mental health condition. Do you do breathing with your CBT? What do you find works best for you?

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 04:05 PM
Oh, an I am sweating. Like a sailor. Not a very attractive thing to say but it happens. My hands are super clammy since yesterday and I actually have to wear deodorant, which is odd because I rarely sweat. I am going to go out on a whim here and assume that that is too from starting the medication. It's not very pleasant. Almost feels like the symptoms you get a few minutes before a panic attack but the panic attack never comes. I kinda wish it would already because after a panic attack I always felt relieved, I don't know why. Odd eh?

anxietycat
03-16-2014, 04:18 PM
Don't search for a miracle pill. There are some that work for some people and others that work for other people. I too go to CBT, it's a beautiful thing, it truly is. It helps, but it is a slow gradual process, as is overcoming any mental health condition. Do you do breathing with your CBT? What do you find works best for you?

Yes we've done a breathing and relaxation techniques session. I've been going for 6 weeks. I find it helps a lot. I'm going to keep going because I think that I need it. I don't know if there is a right amount of time to go ... I'm sure some people go for years. I'd love to join a group therapy too but I can't seem to find one in my area.

Maybe Jesse will do an online group therapy for us? Please Jesse? I'll pay you in cat treats!

jessed03
03-16-2014, 04:26 PM
What breathing exercises do you do at therapy AC?

Ash your family sound awesome :) that's such a help.

I know you're a pharmacology student, but I think AnxietyCat does have a perfect med out there for her.

http://i60.tinypic.com/5ugv1t.jpg

:D!!

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Yes we've done a breathing and relaxation techniques session. I've been going for 6 weeks. I find it helps a lot. I'm going to keep going because I think that I need it. I don't know if there is a right amount of time to go ... I'm sure some people go for years. I'd love to join a group therapy too but I can't seem to find one in my area.

Maybe Jesse will do an online group therapy for us? Please Jesse? I'll pay you in cat treats!

Haha too funny about the cat treats. That made me laugh :) Thanks for that. I went to talk therapy for a couple years after my dad passed away. That's when this all really started for me and it helped a lot. A few more not so great life events and experiences brought me back to square one so here I go again on the road to conquer my anxiety. There is no really 'right' amount of time for everyone. I went anywhere from once a week to once a month before and saw many different people before I found one that really jived with me. Go as long as you want. I am thinking about going back to talk therapy again. I helped me before with my anxiety and helps to make sense of things that you otherwise have a hard time making sense of on your own. With my CBT I go about every 3 -4 weeks. Sometimes its more than a month between visits as she wants me to take my time to work on each new skill I am taught. And yes Jesse, carry on with what you do. It's nice to hear other peoples experiences with all of this.

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 04:31 PM
What breathing exercises do you do at therapy AC?

Ash your family sound awesome :) that's such a help.

I know you're a pharmacology student, but I think AnxietyCat does have a perfect med out there for her.

:D!!

lol! That's pretty funny.

My family is truly amazing. My spouse and brother don't have any idea what anxiety is all about but they never tell me to suck it up or it's all in your head kind of thing. They're always there for free hugs and just to sit with me or talk about random things to keep me busy. My brother grew up in a house dominated by women so he has a pretty good idea of how I am feeling based on just looking at me and usually says the perfect thing to make me smile. My boyfriend knows me like his favourite book, cover to cover sorta thing. If I am sad and mopey he will chase me around the island in the kitchen or pull my feet out from under the blankets to tickle me. Anything to make me smile and laugh. I would be one miserable person without them here everyday :)

I have a test for pharmacology tomorrow, it is a course in my curriculum, I am actually a nurse assistant student :)

jessed03
03-16-2014, 06:24 PM
Are you confident about your test? Good luck obviously :)

anxietysucksbutt
03-16-2014, 06:29 PM

I agree concerning the effectiveness of SSRI's. I, of course, can't say I have a lot of experience with them, however. I tried Lexapro for 7 weeks, and decided that the benefits of it (I didn't notice anything) far underweighed the negative effects. The funny thing is, the first day I took Lexapro was the first day that I picked up "Feeling Good", and literally just reading that made my panic go WAYYY down. So, I've always found that the case for CBT for a true solution to anxiety is much stronger than that of meds (of course, staying mentally disciplined to work on CBT every day is much harder than it seems). Another random side note is that after talking with my wife about finances during all this (there were some things that were bothering me), my anxiety was a 0 for the week after! It was like the best week for me for the past year. Of course, I've slipped back down a bit, but I'm a firm believer that underlying stressors and thought patterns really are the things that drive our anxiety.

Having said that, some people swear by SSRI's, and I would never take that away from them. Who know's who is doing the research on any of these meds. They very well could be helpful, or they may not be. I think that everyone has a unique journey to solving anxiety/panic/depression, and there is no "one size fits all".

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Are you confident about your test? Good luck obviously :)

not really. I have been struggling to concentrate all weekend because of starting the meds. I work at it for 20-30 mins then take a break otherwise it's just too much information for my brain to absorb. Been writing notes and rewriting them to kind of imprint it into my memory which seems to be helping. So far in my college education I have gotten all A+ and 1 A so I am a very good student but I feel like I threw myself under the bus with starting the medication yesterday because it is sooo hard to concentrate on studying. I just keep telling myself to do the best I can and even if I don't get an A on my midterm tomorrow it really isn't going to affect my GPA. But the perfectionist in me is stressing still. *deep breath in, & let it out*

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 06:46 PM
I agree concerning the effectiveness of SSRI's. I, of course, can't say I have a lot of experience with them, however. I tried Lexapro for 7 weeks, and decided that the benefits of it (I didn't notice anything) far underweighed the negative effects. The funny thing is, the first day I took Lexapro was the first day that I picked up "Feeling Good", and literally just reading that made my panic go WAYYY down. So, I've always found that the case for CBT for a true solution to anxiety is much stronger than that of meds (of course, staying mentally disciplined to work on CBT every day is much harder than it seems). Another random side note is that after talking with my wife about finances during all this (there were some things that were bothering me), my anxiety was a 0 for the week after! It was like the best week for me for the past year. Of course, I've slipped back down a bit, but I'm a firm believer that underlying stressors and thought patterns really are the things that drive our anxiety.

Having said that, some people swear by SSRI's, and I would never take that away from them. Who know's who is doing the research on any of these meds. They very well could be helpful, or they may not be. I think that everyone has a unique journey to solving anxiety/panic/depression, and there is no "one size fits all".

What is the author of that book? What other things have helped you along the way?

anxietysucksbutt
03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
What is the author of that book? What other things have helped you along the way?

There are a ton of good books on Amazon regarding treating anxiety. I started with "Feeling Good" by Dr. Burns, which as more to do with depression than anxiety, but you basically use the same techniques for both. He also wrote "When Panic Attacks", which I kind of read concurrently. I started with "Feeling Good" mostly because after having severe anxiety for almost 8 months (which was affecting work/school/everyday life), I was starting to become depressed and frustrated that I couldn't do anything about it. "Feeling Good" helped me initially because I stopped feeling so alone! It also helped take the edge of some of my most negative thoughts, and gave me hope that I could actually beat anxiety!

One caveat to "When Panic Attacks" is that it may seem overwhelming at the start. There are a lot of exercises/charts to fill out or do. What I would suggest is just doing the daily mood log first, in order to get in touch with what thoughts you have and how that affects your anxiety.

I also have heard that a lot of people like Claire Weeks' "Hope and Help For Your Nerves".

Anyway, hopefully that helps. Like I said, there are a lot of good resources for help with Anxiety. It just takes a lot of effort and positive thinking, which are the things I fail on sometimes, and the things that set me back!

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
There are a ton of good books on Amazon regarding treating anxiety. I started with "Feeling Good" by Dr. Burns, which as more to do with depression than anxiety, but you basically use the same techniques for both. He also wrote "When Panic Attacks", which I kind of read concurrently. I started with "Feeling Good" mostly because after having severe anxiety for almost 8 months (which was affecting work/school/everyday life), I was starting to become depressed and frustrated that I couldn't do anything about it. "Feeling Good" helped me initially because I stopped feeling so alone! It also helped take the edge of some of my most negative thoughts, and gave me hope that I could actually beat anxiety!

One caveat to "When Panic Attacks" is that it may seem overwhelming at the start. There are a lot of exercises/charts to fill out or do. What I would suggest is just doing the daily mood log first, in order to get in touch with what thoughts you have and how that affects your anxiety.

I also have heard that a lot of people like Claire Weeks' "Hope and Help For Your Nerves".

Anyway, hopefully that helps. Like I said, there are a lot of good resources for help with Anxiety. It just takes a lot of effort and positive thinking, which are the things I fail on sometimes, and the things that set me back!

Thank you for passing along the resources. I will be looking into it over the course of this week.

I think a lot of people stumble with the maintenance of overcoming anxiety. If we didn't, we wouldn't be here :)

HockeyRules
03-16-2014, 09:17 PM

Meds as a crutch is okay. I used them for a short period until I got my mind straight then got off them. I don't want to depend on something to alter my personality for the long term. CBT was a life saver ......just to know your thinking wrongly and how to correct your thinking helped more than any pill could ever do. Docs give Meds out first nowadays because we expect that. It's just the way of the world I guess. Dr.Burns books I have read as well. Very good and informative. Feeling Good and his newest one I recommend. He is not a Meds fan as well. He states he handed them out like candy in his earlier career only to find out through placebo blind tests with the real stuff ......there was only a marginal improvement from placebo to the real thing. He still prescribes but not to everyone.

Peace and cheers

David

anxietysucksbutt
03-16-2014, 09:25 PM
Oh yeah, P.S.:

I've had the hard time concentrating while studying too! I have to break up study sessions into 30 minutes too, and just power through. Even though it doesn't feel like you're retaining the info, you are! :)

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Meds as a crutch is okay. I used them for a short period until I got my mind straight then got off them. I don't want to depend on something to alter my personality for the long term. CBT was a life saver ......just to know your thinking wrongly and how to correct your thinking helped more than any pill could ever do. Docs give Meds out first nowadays because we expect that. It's just the way of the world I guess. Dr.Burns books I have read as well. Very good and informative. Feeling Good and his newest one I recommend. He is not a Meds fan as well. He states he handed them out like candy in his earlier career only to find out through placebo blind tests with the real stuff ......there was only a marginal improvement from placebo to the real thing. He still prescribes but not to everyone.

Peace and cheers

David

I agree with you David. I took Celexa years ago, it helped me, I got better and got off of it without incident. Twice. Now years later....

I actually have been going to CBT for quite some time now. My care team and I had an understanding that I did not want to do the medication route if I felt I was in a good place to deal with my anxiety. It was going good for a while. Then I starting showing symptoms of depression again-ok-so up my therapy. We did that for a while, which seemed to help, and then I started school *dun dun dun* that is when shit hit the fan and I couldn't find my umbrella. So once again, back to the drawing board. Took up yoga, working out, mindfulness (got a really good workbook actually, it's called 'A mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Workbook') back to breathing exercises, talking more to connect with others, getting out of the house more and upping my therapy once again. Friday I decided I needed an aide in all of this. It is at a point for me where I feel I need the additional help because I am past my limit of doing this on my own.

HockeyRules
03-16-2014, 10:04 PM
I agree with you David. I took Celexa years ago, it helped me, I got better and got off of it without incident. Twice. Now years later.... I actually have been going to CBT for quite some time now. My care team and I had an understanding that I did not want to do the medication route if I felt I was in a good place to deal with my anxiety. It was going good for a while. Then I starting showing symptoms of depression again-ok-so up my therapy. We did that for a while, which seemed to help, and then I started school *dun dun dun* that is when shit hit the fan and I couldn't find my umbrella. So once again, back to the drawing board. Took up yoga, working out, mindfulness (got a really good workbook actually, it's called 'A mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Workbook') back to breathing exercises, talking more to connect with others, getting out of the house more and upping my therapy once again. Friday I decided I needed an aide in all of this. It is at a point for me where I feel I need the additional help because I am past my limit of doing this on my own.

And that's what the Meds are for. To help you cope until you can stand again. I just have a problem with docs that think a pill is a cure all. It's not.....I wish you the very best in your recovery....because you WILL recover. I took Paxil and quite frankly didn't give a rats ass about anything. It was others that pointed out my personality change and it also affected my sex life really badly. There is nothing like celebrating your anniversary with your wife by finally giving up and saying to her...." You good "? Because you can't finish and you don't care you can't. That was a major eye opener for me. That is not me....who is this impostor in my body. And the total lack of self esteem in all of that ....doesn't help the healing overall. I was so messed up that I wanted to up my dose even higher.....to go completely comfortably numb. My wife woke me up and I am eternally grateful to her. I feel great now.....and confident. But that is my story and everyone else on here has their own story and I completely respect that. :)

ashly1221
03-16-2014, 10:43 PM
Oh yeah, P.S.:

I've had the hard time concentrating while studying too! I have to break up study sessions into 30 minutes too, and just power through. Even though it doesn't feel like you're retaining the info, you are! :)

It all sticks eventually! Coffee and flash cards are dear friends of mine these days :p