PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with this as a parent

butterfly82
03-14-2014, 06:32 PM
Just venting...It's so hard to live with panic disorder and agoraphobia with 4 kids (ages 9, 7, 5,, & 2) they want to go places and on vacations like we use to, "before mommy was sick". It breaks my heart and I feel so guilty like I am taking away from their childhood. This condition is ruining not only my life, but theirs too :(

butterfly82
03-14-2014, 06:46 PM
I hope I can too. The agoraphobia part is new to me, I think it's from having so many panic attacks outside of the home. We took them to Sea World recently, but not even an hour in I freaked out and my husband had to help me get to the car with 4 kids in tow crying. My oldest is starting to understand more and helps me a lot. I'm also blessed to have a supportive husband- he wasn't even mad

butterfly82
03-14-2014, 07:36 PM
Yes! My children are my motivation for sure. I am determined to beat this and not allow it to control my life for much longer.

amers85
03-14-2014, 07:42 PM
I know how you feel. I have a 3 year old son, I take him on playdates and other places close to me, but I feel bad because he can't see his cousins all the time from me not wanting to drive the distance. We will beat this :)

butterfly82
03-14-2014, 11:01 PM
I know how you feel. I have a 3 year old son, I take him on playdates and other places close to me, but I feel bad because he can't see his cousins all the time from me not wanting to drive the distance. We will beat this :)

I stopped making them play dates because I would say yes to an invite then worry for the next week about going then when the day arrived I would make an excuse not to go. Sounds so selfish of me :( I haven't taken a trip back home in 4 years. I feel so trapped yet afraid to go anywhere because I feel safer in my home.

butterfly82
03-15-2014, 04:56 AM
Your not selfish. But you are in real trouble and only you can get yourself out. You need the best therapy/meds/determination/knowledge/anxiety busting toolkit you can access. People do it. But it's the hardest thing ever but you want your kids to do things they should be doing you want things you would like to be doing? Then prepare to throw the whole arsenal at it. X

I am on kolonopin and was referred to a psychiatrist. I had an appointment and started to head to it, but had a panic attack on the highway (I live in a major city- not by choice) and had to turn around to go home :( I wish they could come to my house lol

The feel good book and when panic attacks book came in the mail yesterday and I excited to read those in hopes it will help a little.

Thank you Frankie :) I am ready to fight this for the sake of my kids. I'm trying, little by little.

Applecherry
03-15-2014, 06:38 AM
Could it be you are not taking any time to do something you enjoy that makes you relaxed? With that many kids, I can see there being little time to make for you. Just try doing something you used to like doing. Once when I was having a panic attack, a girl gave me advice she said, "I know what it likes to feel this way, but pick just one thing that makes you happy, that you like doing, and it will help".. so if you can find just something that you can find fun, it will help immensely.

Thing is, with panic attacks, you are not really "safe" anywhere from them, so try not to blame leaving the house as a cause. I can be sitting in my room, on my bed, and start getting anxious and the panic switch has been activated, and at that point, all I wanna do is go out for a walk to clear my head. That thing, whatever it is, that is causing your anxiety is still with you, at home or leaving the house, it's there! so til whatever problem it is that is getting you so wound up, won't go away til it goes away whether you stay inside or out..

trinidiva
03-15-2014, 07:28 AM
I feel the same way with my kids. I try to do a little more with them. There was a point when I would have trouble leaving the house.....just do a little bit....and when you are able to do a little bit and accomplish that...it will push you to do more.

Hang in there.

amers85
03-15-2014, 08:30 AM
I stopped making them play dates because I would say yes to an invite then worry for the next week about going then when the day arrived I would make an excuse not to go. Sounds so selfish of me :( I haven't taken a trip back home in 4 years. I feel so trapped yet afraid to go anywhere because I feel safer in my home.

I don't make set plans either, we just show up, if we don't, we don't. You aren't being selfish at all, you are trying to better yourself.
You will get there soon enough. Are you on any meds or going to therapy?

butterfly82
03-15-2014, 09:36 AM
Could it be you are not taking any time to do something you enjoy that makes you relaxed? With that many kids, I can see there being little time to make for you. Just try doing something you used to like doing. Once when I was having a panic attack, a girl gave me advice she said, "I know what it likes to feel this way, but pick just one thing that makes you happy, that you like doing, and it will help".. so if you can find just something that you can find fun, it will help immensely. Thing is, with panic attacks, you are not really "safe" anywhere from them, so try not to blame leaving the house as a cause. I can be sitting in my room, on my bed, and start getting anxious and the panic switch has been activated, and at that point, all I wanna do is go out for a walk to clear my head. That thing, whatever it is, that is causing your anxiety is still with you, at home or leaving the house, it's there! so til whatever problem it is that is getting you so wound up, won't go away til it goes away whether you stay inside or out..

I really don't have time to myself--i homeschool them--on the weekends my husband tells me to go get my hair done or go to the mall , he's even bought me a few spa gift certificates so "when I'm ready" I should go pamper myself. I just can't go out without him, I trust him and he understands me.

It's a good point about panic attacks happening no matter where I am, but I feel like I must look crazy when I have one in public. There's been many times where I left whole grocery carts full in the store and just left.

butterfly82
03-15-2014, 09:39 AM
I don't make set plans either, we just show up, if we don't, we don't. You aren't being selfish at all, you are trying to better yourself. You will get there soon enough. Are you on any meds or going to therapy?

I am taking Kolonopin and I have been referred to a psychologist off base, but I started to drive to my first appointment and had a panic attack in the highway (I live in a big city, not by choice) so I haven't rescheduled yet.