PDA

View Full Version : Top of head is burning

Blessed
03-05-2014, 03:06 PM
Couldn't find a good thread to put this but need some advice. Had a headache for 4 days non stop. Tylenol Advil or ibuprofin had not helped. Now all the sudden I have this really scalding or burning feeling about the size of a quarter on the top of my head. Is this common with anxiety. I didn't think I was too anxious today but this sensation sure is not helping. Any ideas ??? Thank you

lucy88
03-05-2014, 03:28 PM
Couldn't find a good thread to put this but need some advice. Had a headache for 4 days non stop. Tylenol Advil or ibuprofin had not helped. Now all the sudden I have this really scalding or burning feeling about the size of a quarter on the top of my head. Is this common with anxiety. I didn't think I was too anxious today but this sensation sure is not helping. Any ideas ??? Thank you

I had it one time think it's a normal symptom. X

Blessed
03-05-2014, 04:01 PM
This makes a lot of sense, mind over matter! How can I divert my thoughts so I'm not thinking it's a stroke or something. It's been burning for two hours straight now! Thank you again

Fourteen14
03-05-2014, 04:04 PM
Hi Blessed Today at CBT my doc is trying to talk me down from all the pain I'm currently experiencing. He says to me focus your thoughts on the tip of your kneecap. Then he hovers his index finger right in front of it.....I have to keep focussing right. Then after a minute he slowly pulls away his finger and asks me what do I feel? I feel pain, I feel burning. I felt nothing really in this spot before he did this. Then it got my attention and it suddenly began to be painful and burn. No! I drive the feeling right into that spot from the power of my thoughts and then the fixation. What we start off with can definitely escalate. You had an awful headache that was resistant to your medication attempts. Did you start thinking what the heck is going on? Why did the variety of meds not work? Did the focus of your thoughts on this compound the issue and then escalate and escalate into that area? I don't know of course, only that I did this and it's possible you have fallen foul of our anxious thoughts and fixation too. Hope both of our headaches depart very soon! :)

This a brilliant example Frankie.

To add a really basic example I use when describing how powerful the nervous system is:

If you hear someone talking about head lice, do you immediately get an itchy scalp? (I'm guessing you are nodding).

Unusual sensations in the body through anxiety are much the same process, just much more pronounced sensations, and higher susceptibility to suggestion.

needtogetwell
03-05-2014, 05:05 PM
Frankie, you are so right. Redirection does work! It is a learned skill and must be practiced, or directed as you were today. Hope you find some Tai Chi, I love the flow of it and it's harder than one might think.

Blessed, I hope you have found some relief from the headache. Sometimes nothing but sleep will do. At least for me.

Be kind to yourself, you will be ok!
~Pam

Blessed
03-05-2014, 05:07 PM
Just wish I could focus on something else I cooked supper and watch my face tv shows but my head is hurting and burning so bad I'm convinced it's a stroke or something. This is so ridiculously stupid!!!!! I've gotta get a grip

needtogetwell
03-05-2014, 06:03 PM
Just wish I could focus on something else I cooked supper and watch my face tv shows but my head is hurting and burning so bad I'm convinced it's a stroke or something. This is so ridiculously stupid!!!!! I've gotta get a grip

Blessed, getting a grip and redirection take time to learn and get better with practice. You did however do something by cooking supper, it may not have given you complete relief but I'm willing to bet there was a moment or two with less pain. This headache obviously has you stressed out, try a warm compress, hot water bottle or heating pad on your shoulders. When those muscles are wound up so tight the pain can radiate through to your head.

Now, if you want redirection in its extreme form, get yourself a puppy, preferably a large breed! That will keep your attention redirected for the next few years! I am joking with you, but my 7 month old puppy keeps me well distracted. Just ask Enduroman, apparently he has a puppy too that is into plenty! My other large breed dog (border collie) didn't settle down until she was about 4.

Sending you hugs! It will get better.
~Pam

Dahila
03-05-2014, 09:09 PM
Blessed, getting a grip and redirection take time to learn and get better with practice. You did however do something by cooking supper, it may not have given you complete relief but I'm willing to bet there was a moment or two with less pain. This headache obviously has you stressed out, try a warm compress, hot water bottle or heating pad on your shoulders. When those muscles are wound up so tight the pain can radiate through to your head.

Now, if you want redirection in its extreme form, get yourself a puppy, preferably a large breed! That will keep your attention redirected for the next few years! I am joking with you, but my 7 month old puppy keeps me well distracted. Just ask Enduroman, apparently he has a puppy too that is into plenty! My other large breed dog (border collie) didn't settle down until she was about 4.

Sending you hugs! It will get better.
~Pam

Pam you already said what I wanted to say. I warm the towel in microwave and put over my head, the pain can be just nerve sensitivity or change of weather, or maybe cold. Muscle tend to tense on neck so it could from there...
Blessed go to mirror and smile....go now, if your smile is as beautiful as always you have not stroke. With stroke you can smile the way you always do. You will be fine. Get great Dane they are fantastic dogs, :)

Blessed
03-06-2014, 06:23 AM
How are you today Blessed? thank you. I'm so mad at myself just wanna cry. My head has hurt non stop since Sunday. Now getting nausea with it. I just don't understand what I'm doing to cause this. I'm so sorry to be whining I'm just aggrevated. Thank you for asking tho

Blessed
03-06-2014, 06:54 AM
I can imagine Blessed and the more the frustration the more the bloody head hurts! Doh! Where exactly does it hurt you? my forhead, then started with burning sensations on top of head. Now my neck. It's been non stop pain. I go to physical therapy twice a week from my neck I wonder if I have something flaired up. It just hurts so very bad uuugggghhh!

needtogetwell
03-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Hi Blessed, I'm so sorry to hear you are still feeling poorly.

You have obviously tried the more holistic approaches to get relief. Maybe it's time to go to your doctor, or better yet the emergency room and get them to give you some strong pain meds. I'm talking about morphine or Demerol. What you need more than anything is to break the pain cycle. Once you do that you will be able to look for the cause and deal with that.

Let us know how you are making out.

Good luck!
P

Applecherry
03-06-2014, 07:47 AM
Is it a more internal kind of headache pain, or more outer on the skin? Cause a few things can cause burning feeling on your skin, like dryness, reaction to shampoos, soaps, conditioners, make ups, perfumes (particularly to ppl with sensitive skin).. Could be a hat you wear or a pillow you rest your head on? Do you have a visible rash where it burns?

As for just a headache could definitely be caused by sinus issues, when I have sinus trouble, generally Advil doesn't totally relieve it.

*shrug* talk with your doctor about it, but don't rule out some of what I suggested above.

needtogetwell
03-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Pam, in England making out is like snogging/kissing and so on! Blessed, please don't tell me how you're making out! I will start blushing ;) I would like to know how you are feeling as you like to share! Most of my chronic pain stems from my neck. This definately brings on most of my more horrid migraines > nausea. Are you rubbing anti inflammatory gels etc into the neck area? Maybe heat pads there and so on........if it's the source....find relief there....find relief elsewhere?

Thanks for that Frankie, I may be of English and Scottish decent but that's where it ends! I still get in trouble with cousins in Scotland, I may say something innocent and well meaning here on Canada but it has an altogether different meaning to them.

BTW - what are you cooking today? Lol

needtogetwell
03-06-2014, 09:58 AM
I've been very naughty and made a chicken korma, rice and a side of naughty poppadoms! I'm only teasing :) I find it quite funny all the little differences that come from our regions. Last week we discussed the mom, mam, mum debate! Yesterday Olive Yew discovered that tea is her supper ( tea beverage completely optional!) and dinner is lunch and so on. This is the silliness I choose to focus on today it seems :)

Silliness is good! Have to laugh, years ago my aunt tried to get me to understand that dinner is lunch, now I usually refer to lunch as dinner and totally confuse everyone!

Ahhhh such is life'

Blessed
03-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Is it a more internal kind of headache pain, or more outer on the skin? Cause a few things can cause burning feeling on your skin, like dryness, reaction to shampoos, soaps, conditioners, make ups, perfumes (particularly to ppl with sensitive skin).. Could be a hat you wear or a pillow you rest your head on? Do you have a visible rash where it burns? As for just a headache could definitely be caused by sinus issues, when I have sinus trouble, generally Advil doesn't totally relieve it. *shrug* talk with your doctor about it, but don't rule out some of what I suggested above. it was definitely internal like from the inside out. Now really struggling with extreme dizzy swimmy head . I just don't know

rhar
03-07-2014, 05:17 AM
it was definitely internal like from the inside out. Now really struggling with extreme dizzy swimmy head . I just don't know

Blessed I get lots of dizzy swimmy head sensations. It's yukky

Blessed
03-07-2014, 09:15 AM
Thank you it's nice to know I'm not alone here