PDA

View Full Version : Mother of two with anxiety

nikki_marie21
03-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Does any on get panic attacks while taking showers? I find I have to leave the curtains open, also when in a car or shopping with just my children, being a single parent means no time to stop unless at home ... I end up feeling like my throat is closing, the air gets thick, my legs turn to jello, tunnel vision , heart palps... You name it I get it ... My doctor started me on 50 mg of zoloft 5 days ago so I'm hoping this is going to work ... I have a lot of health anxiety and always fear the worst yet I am in great health .. Been tested for pretty much everything

ldocherty93
03-05-2014, 09:56 AM
Does any on get panic attacks while taking showers? I find I have to leave the curtains open, also when in a car or shopping with just my children, being a single parent means no time to stop unless at home ... I end up feeling like my throat is closing, the air gets thick, my legs turn to jello, tunnel vision , heart palps... You name it I get it ... My doctor started me on 50 mg of zoloft 5 days ago so I'm hoping this is going to work ... I have a lot of health anxiety and always fear the worst yet I am in great health .. Been tested for pretty much everything

I used to get panic attacks when i was in the shower but i've not had a panic attack in a couple of years thankfully. I can imagine how hard it is being a single parent of two, i have a baby with my partner & i know at times it can be hard even altough theres two of us so good on yourself! I just got started back on zoloft yesterday aswell for my health anxiety, i hope they work! My health anxiety takes over my life, every worry is about health. I know how you feel!

amers85
03-05-2014, 09:56 AM
I don't get them in the shower , but I get anxious while out at the grocery store alone with my son. Its not as bad as it used to be, I got control over it somewhat with medicine and CBT's. I have health anxiety and have been tested for anything and everything you can think of, my Dr. Tested me just to keep my mind at ease. It will get better :)

needtogetwell
03-05-2014, 10:02 AM

Hi Nikki:

First I want to congratulate you on being a single mom with two kids! That is without a doubt the toughest job (and most rewarding ) in the world. Takes an incredibly strong person to do it and you are. Yea you!!!

So, along with being the hardest job it is also the most stressful. I've been where you are and wanted to run from a supermarket for exactly the same reasons you describe.

I'm going to give you 2 suggestions.
1. Give the meds time to work and do their thing.
2. Cut yourself some slack. What you do is awesome, find something that you do every day which is just for you. Read a book, have a bath, play games online. Whatever you choose it is just for you even if it is only 10-15 minutes.

Hang in there, it will get better. Be kind to yourself!
Cheers
Pam

nikki_marie21
03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Thank you all very much that was great feed back ... This forum is really nice to look through and see that I'm not the only one

ldocherty93
03-05-2014, 10:14 AM
Thank you all very much that was great feed back ... This forum is really nice to look through and see that I'm not the only one

Yeah it's full of lovely helpful people! It's always good to get a bit of reassurance i feel!