PDA

View Full Version : Very new to anxiety!

tasia723
03-05-2014, 07:09 AM
I am completely new to this, it has completely changed and took over my life, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Last Friday I was hospitalized for having extreme high blood pressure and fast heart rate, all due to anxiety. They gave me an RX for short term anxiety but I have yet to take it, I don't wanna depend on a pill to make me feel better, I rather try and get better myself. I hope this forum helps with certain situations I've been going through, I want nothing more then to have my life back! :(

NixonRulz
03-05-2014, 07:27 AM
I am completely new to this, it has completely changed and took over my life, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. Last Friday I was hospitalized for having extreme high blood pressure and fast heart rate, all due to anxiety. They gave me an RX for short term anxiety but I have yet to take it, I don't wanna depend on a pill to make me feel better, I rather try and get better myself. I hope this forum helps with certain situations I've been going through, I want nothing more then to have my life back! :(

That sucks for you

I understand wanting to do it without meds but there is no reason to not take it for a short time

It will calm you enough to where you can think straight to work on it and then you can stop taking them

They are a world of help

tasia723
03-05-2014, 08:37 AM
Thank you! I am really trying to work through it, today is the first day in over a month that I actually feel normal but the day is still young. Hopefully I can keep this up, but on the other hand I'm anticipating it to happen just so I can get it over and done with.

NixonRulz
03-05-2014, 08:48 AM
Thank you! I am really trying to work through it, today is the first day in over a month that I actually feel normal but the day is still young. Hopefully I can keep this up, but on the other hand I'm anticipating it to happen just so I can get it over and done with.

Unfortunately if you anticipate it, it usually comes. : (

Pretty much a textbook reason people have anxiety

I hope you stay feeling well today and every other after

tasia723
03-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Thanks!! :)

lbs
03-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Hang in there. One of the hardest things is thinking about when your next panic attack will happen, and it just makes it worse. I know exactly what you're talking about! I'm fairly new to all of this as well, but this site and most the people on it are very helpful. I was terrified to take Xanex to help with my anxiety, because it can be highly addictive. If taken as prescribed and only as absolutely needed, its very helpful. Meds can help you get through things. I was very apposed to taking them too, as they had a hard time finding one that worked for me. Talking about things always seems to help me. I have always said " I want my old life back, before anxiety". I know now that this is my life and I have to learn to deal with it and use what works for me. Good luck and hang in there. Each person has to find what works for them.

Bigrobbie
03-05-2014, 06:09 PM
Hang in there. One of the hardest things is thinking about when you're next panic attack will happen, and it just makes it worse. I know exactly what you're talking about! I'm fairly new to all of this as well, but this sight and most the people on it are very helpful. I was terrified to take Xanex to help with my anxiety, because it can be highly addictive. If taken as prescribed and only as absolutely needed, its very helpful. Meds can help you get through things. I was very apposed to taking the too, as they had a hard time finding one that worked for me. Talking about things always seems to help me. I have always said " I want me old life back, before anxiety". I know now that this is my life and I have to learn to deal with it and use what works for me. Good luck and hang in there. Each person has to find what works for them.

Great reply. Just had to mention that.

lbs
03-05-2014, 07:06 PM
Thanks Bigrobbie!

KatyFan
03-05-2014, 07:19 PM
I know how scary anxiety is for the first time. I wish I could tell you that you'll get used to it...I hope that you can resolve things soon because no one should have to go through that.best of luck.

Kabukicho
03-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Anxiety is a harsh mistress. Welcome to the fun club.

Good for you for trying to avoid medication. For me, personally, Xanax is a God drug and I would be, probably, huddled in a corner crying all day without it. But to each his own.

Get some good CBT from a licensed therapist. If that's not an option, get some books on managing anxiety. There are a lot of good titles on Amazon--I don't have any specific recommendations at the moment, but there's a lot of good stuff out there.

And I can't agree more with what was posted before: DO NOT "anticipate" your anxiety. DO NOT "check" yourself to see if you have anxiety symptoms. That is a classic thing anxiety sufferers do and it is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you need to be training your brain to do. You need to be training your brain to relax, to flow with the sensations of anxiety as they ebb and flow, to watch mindfully and non-judgmentally your anxiety peak and wane, to not fear the anxiety in the slightest. It's a perfectly natural human response that just, sometimes, gets out of hand and is unpleasant.

You won't "cure" your anxiety. It won't ever "go away." But it can be very effectively managed. I've battled with anxiety for over 8 years now and I can tell you I've made a lot of great strides in that time.

*Hug*

tasia723
03-05-2014, 07:34 PM
Awe thanks! And you're right I shouldn't "anticipate" waiting for the attack to come on just to get it over and done with, it drives you crazy! But I am gonna take this one day at a time! I am determined more then ever!

NixonRulz
03-05-2014, 09:25 PM
Awe thanks! And you're right I shouldn't "anticipate" waiting for the attack to come on just to get it over and done with, it drives you crazy! But I am gonna take this one day at a time! I am determined more then ever!

You can tell the ones that have a gleam in their eye with determination

You will so beat this quickly

I'm happy that you are going to beat this nonsense so fast